back to article BlackBerry flings John Chen $89 MILLION to save troubled firm

BlackBerry has announced that its new chairman and interim chief John Chen will get $3m in salary and bonuses as well as stock options worth around $86m. The floundering mobile phone firm surprised everyone earlier this week when it said that instead of selling itself off to Fairfax Financial Holdings, it was going to axe …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Nice reward for failure! They were doomed when Heins hacked off every Playbook owner by reneging on the promise of BB10.

1. Tiny Iota
      Coat

I’m sure they were both very annoyed

1. Montreal Sean

Playbook

The Playbook was a nice tablet, it's too bad it was doomed from the start.

My Nexus 7 kicks it's ass when it comes to performance - and it damn well should as it's a couple of generations newer - but there's something about the Playbook's UI that I prefer to Android.

It's also way more solid and stands up to abuse better than pretty much any tablet I've seen, apart from Panasonic's Tough model...

I still think that the Playbook method of swiping inwards from the edges to access menus, keyboard, running applications (which run even while in the background) is superior to Android's (almost) always present task bars.

To each their own though.

2. TheVogon

That's a very expensive funeral....

3. Rampant Spaniel

I think it goes deeper than that. They failed to remain attractive to their core business customers and didn't manage to make themselves more attractive to the general market. They were they only choice for business for years then Apple and Android married enough to be used for business worth the attractiveness of being fun toys. They had a brief period of popularity with teenagers (for bbm) but that came and went. They just didn't change fatty enough. Either they didn't believe they had to or their culture was change adverse. Either way, the big boys at the top need to fall on their swords, they are ultimately at fault. Big payouts for screwing the pooch sends the wrong message. They get the spills when things go well, it's insane too reward them for failing, why couldn't he just have been sacked.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Playbook was shipped before the memory requirements of BBos 10 became obvious, and he sensibly decided not to update people's tablets to a standard which would have caused fairly dreadful performance having seen the effect on the internal development Playbooks with 1GB of RAM fitted.

Playbook OS 2.1 is more than adequate, especially when you consider that the tablets were on sale a year ago for less than 90 quid.

Maybe as BBOS 10 matures it would be possible to put a less memory hungry version on a Playbook but I suspect that Blackberry are not going to devote any development effort to it now so it is most unlikely to happen.

5. Levente Szileszky

Oh PLEAHHSE - stop whining about some update for your $100 loss-leader tablet that works perfectly fine even today. TH might have been incompetent when it came to marketing etc but he was dead on with PB: it was never meant to generate any revenue, it would've taken up a lot of engineering resources from delivering the much-needed OS v10.2 update w/ Android 4.2 runtime so he pulled the plug on the project. Considering the state of the company it was the right decision - I would've canned the project well before that, focusing instead of preventing the eventual ONE YEAR LATE debut of BB10 (mostly due to limited resources.)

Seriously, PB owners are the whiniest bunch in a long time - and I'm saying this as I still own and use couple of Touchpads + sent two more to family members, I know what some outdated sw can do to your browsing habits.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

beans

Sometimes the running gags used by El Reg get a little long in the tooth and just become iritating.

But the Heins Beans one does make me laugh every time i see it.

I'm easily amused :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: beans

NOTHING on El Reg is long in the tooth and irritating with the exception of certain commentards

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

HERE! HERE!

2. jaminbob

None are as funny as the "Foxconn reseller..." joke.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mark Corrigan: Well, yeah... my only hesitation is that I don't have any actual experience of management consulting...

[Johnson shuts Mark's lips with his fingers]

Johnson: In, fire 30% of the workforce, new logo, boom! Out. You are now a fully trained management consultant.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Ah but the secret is how to select that 30%. The value in a proper turnaround CEO or management consultant it's they have been taught a variety off arbitrary techniques such as firing everyone with more than 4 vowels in their name or the old chestnut, sack everyone whose employee numbers last two digits are a prime number.

$14 million for killing a company is pretty impressive, I could do it for half that. Negoicide pays well!

4. c:\boot.ini

New boss, new horizon?

Optimise OS 10 for PlayBook, ship a PlayBook 2 with uber fast CPU and there you go, back to profit!

LOL

Sent from my z30

5. TeeCee Gold badge

Hmm.

Problem: You're losing money hand over fist and so seriously stuffed for cash that the vultures[1] are circling.

Solution: Splurge 14m paying off one boss and 89m hiring another one.

Is it just me, or is this as monumentally fucked up as it appears to be?

[1] No offence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm.

No, because to maximise his stock options he has to get the share price up and keep it there for quite a long time.

Heins...I hope they fire whoever authorised that "compensation package".

Chen may succeed. I hope he does, because a world in which the entire mobile phone industry is based in the US, China and South Korea, and runs entirely on US-controlled operating systems, is undesirable for a number of reasons.

1. Rampant Spaniel

True, or he can do sod all and collect his 14m, on top of his base salary and land another cushy job :)

2. Wilson! Wilson!

Here here!

I agree especially with the last paragraph.

6. Nathan 6
    FAIL

Should have focused more on low end BB7 devices.

I have a current BB7 device and it can't compete with the current crop of Android and iOS devices, but it doesn't have to. I only need it for phone, email, texting and occasional Twitter, Pandora, Facebook. For mobile computing I just use my 4G MIFI, and Samsung galaxy note 10.1.

Folks like me are/were BB core customers, and they losing us because the want to offer something that I can already get with a lot of other devices.

7. DanceMan

$14m for failure?

And this in a world where bankruptcy can leave workers with unpaid wages and lost pensions?

Why do we keep voting for parties that support this injustice?

8. drtune

How high up the toilet wall

can they piss their remaining money? It's pure comedy at this point.

This topic is closed for new posts.