back to article Buy-curious minxes and chaps fancy hot wrist action, rest of us baffled

Nearly half of Americans who took part in a survey have dismissed the notion of wearable computers as a fad, say pollsters. However, the tech could tempt peeps under the age of 36. A recent study by Harris Interactive [PDF] found that 49 per cent of American adults quizzed doubt that wearable technology – think smartwatches …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think wearable tech is a fad.

But I bet that it will cause all kinds of privacy implications before it is all over, even going beyond Google Glass.

2. Vociferous

Obviously the future.

Whether the technology yet exists to do it is doubtful, but wearable tech is clearly the future of low-end mobile computing, while slabs will take the higher end.

What there isn't an obvious niche for in the future, is the current style smartphone, an awkward and inelegant technology if ever there was one.

1. Cliff

Re: Obviously the future.

Did under-36's ever wear watches to begin with?

I mean there's a cut off age somewhere where watches just got in the way of plunging your hand into your pocket for your mobile or pager, it can't be too far off the demographic asked about this, so it's not a watch, it's a wrist computer.

1. tony2heads
        Go

I am clearly old school: it feels strange to be without a watch ( and, yes I am older than 36). I would be perfectly happy to upgrade to a wrist computer, provided that:

- it looked reasonable

- it has great battery life (or recharges on the go)

- has functions I want

1. Norman Hartnell

The main reason I still wear a watch is to stop myself from feeling that something is missing if I don't wear one.

1. Sealand
            Coat

The main reason I don't wear a watch is that when the last one broke, I discovered that time kept on passing.

Oh wait - that could be the watch app on my phone ...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep, I'm 26 and have always worn a watch, as have/do the majority of my male friends and colleagues of a similar age.

However, I will admit, including the missus and all her mates as well as mine and my female colleagues, I do not know any women in the same age group that wear watches...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I mean there's a cut off age somewhere where watches just got in the way of plunging your hand into your pocket for your mobile or pager"

Pager? *blink*

3. Great Bu

I don't want a watch, I want a Leela-from-Futurama wristcomp

Why can't I have a proper wrist/forearm mounted device like Leela wears ? It could have a nice soft plastic type body on the top of the forearm with some sort of neopreney sleeve to put it on with (you could sell two different mounts for left and right handed users), the computerey bit* could have a nice curved touchscreen on the outside around the size of a smartphone and then the device could flip open to reveal another, bigger screen inside with a keyboard underneath.

Mount a camera next to the outer screen for video calling, use bluetooth headphones (or even wired ones with the wire neatly concealed up your sleeve).

The whole device can be slim enough to fit inside a jacket sleeve, so you can still pull back the sleeve to glance at the time or other update information like with a watch but it's big enough to be able to fit a fully functional smartphone/small tablet functionality and battery life.

I want this to be made right now. Why can't I have it ?

*Stop me if I'm getting too technical

1. ratfox

Re: I don't want a watch, I want a Leela-from-Futurama wristcomp

Mostly, I think the biggest problem at the moment is the weight. It would probably be too heavy to be comfortable.

And also, probably too few people want something like this for it to be produced in reasonable prices. Wait 10 years of failed products first.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't want a watch, I want a Leela-from-Futurama wristcomp

It could have a nice soft plastic type body on the top of the forearm with some sort of neopreney sleeve to put it on with

Wouldn't this be a bit warm for extended wearing/use? Just a thought.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now, implantables...

adjunct brain, with wifi.

Security? Mind control? I think I've heard of it...

5. no-one in particular

Don't lots of people already wear their mobes?

All those people with a 'phone shoved into an arm-band whilst they go out running - why isn't that counted as a "wearable" device?

15 or so years ago I was reading about people making small computers and strapping them onto big utility belts - these were all described as wearable computers. 10 plus years ago I had a display, hard drive and processor in a belt pouch - just because I only used it as a music player, does that mean it wasn't as "wearable" as the older devices? (it was - and still is - an Archos Jukebox by the way).

This topic is closed for new posts.