back to article Drugs e-souk Silk Road back from the dead with new Dread Pirate Roberts

Barely a month after the FBI shuttered the first Silk Road online black market, the secretive souk is back with another "Dread Pirate Roberts" (DPR) at the helm – and the operator has added PGP encryption for good measure. "Over the last four weeks, we have implemented a complete security overhaul. This overhaul marks the dawn …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MrDamage Silver badge

Obligatory

FBI: Surrender!

Dread Pirate Roberts: You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Obligatory

Silly FBI, don't they know that "Dread Pirate Roberts" is a title, not a person?

2. Conrad Rockenhaus

Re: Obligatory

Remember when Freedom Hosting was taken down and it's owner was arrested? The law enforcement officials involved added a JavaScript exploit to unmask the anonymity of Tor users.

Never used Silk Road, but I seriously doubt that the FBI wouldn't take advantage of the vacuum created by the loss of Silk Road to start collecting intelligence on users of the service.

I would hope that previous Silk Road users would see through this possible ruse and avoid it like the plague if they want to avoid compromise.

2. JustWondering
    Thumb Down

I don't think so

I'll stick with my buddy down the street.

1. Dances With Sheep
      Terminator

Re: I don't think so

The reason for Silk Roads popularity was that not every 'buddy down the street' sells pure stuff.

For example, the feedback system of Silk Road helped geeks to buy safe(er), pure MDMA disco biscuts, and not potentially dangerous PMA.

Anybody who joined the Fellowship Of The Weed could find a nice mellow smoke (a variety of sativas and indicas with varying THC & CBD levels) rather than the "two-tokes-and-you're-wasted" stuff sold for maximum proffit by many street dealers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FBI Agent#1: Hey i heard we're all gonna get assigned back to anti-terrorizm duties now that we fitted up Mr Pirate-Roberts with conspiracy murder and taken down the silk road.

FBI Agent#2: More airport duties, searching smelly fat travellers and pissing off anyone that looks even slightly middle-eastern? Fuck that, lets set up 'silk road #2' and bait some more internet users into buying drugs. I'll get the boss pissed tonight after work and get him on-board with this...

1. Cliff

Yes, but without the mask.

The FBI would be negligent if they didn't set up a replacement silk road to capitalise on their recent successes. And if you want taxpayer value from their work, this is a good and efficient way to gather intelligence and to frighten people out of the market once they're unsure if successive gangs of criminals are trustworthy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pirate

That explains the copy of "Master & Commander"

"Dude, are you a narc?"

FBI Guy:"Me? No dude, I'm cool"

"Then why aren't you selling shit on the road, dude?"

FBI Guy: "Hey, I'm selling stuff. I'm selling....um....I've got my stash right here....um.....what do you know about the age of sail?"

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Mephistro
    Black Helicopters

I just visited the .onion link...

... and there's one of those big FBI notices. And a request for username and password. Fishy, fishy...

EDIT: LOL. I just read the page. :-). Anyway, I concur with the above comments that this is probably a ruse by the FBI itself.

1. Old Handle

Re: I just visited the .onion link...

It's is kinda funny though, whether it's the FBI or not.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it a crime to order drugs? I thought it was possession that was illegal (and more so with intent to supply)

7. Professor Clifton Shallot

Admirable

"DPR today said additional crew are sought to help with marketing the site"

Well it's got a link on the Register so it's campaign is off to a good start.

8. Ian 55

All those primes having an effect?

There is something not quite right today when you happily link to a site purporting to be a marketplace for illegal drugs, but delete a comment to another article saying that it is the only Google hit for a phrase within it.

9. Robert Moore

You would have to be on drugs to use silkroad now!

I would bet my next paycheque this is a scam of some sort. Either an FBI honeypot, or someone looking to run off with your bit coins.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like