back to article Blood king of the tyrannosaurus, grandad of T-Rex

A new kind of vicious tyrannosaur that pre-dates Tyrannosaurus rex has been unearthed in southern Utah and christened the "King of Gore". Artist's impression of the Lythronax argestes The Tyrannosauridae family already contains massive creatures whose names translate as "frightful" and "fierce" kings as well as "monstrous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes but

how long until we can clone their DNA from the blood stored in the stomachs of mosquito's trapped in amber?

2. Ralph B

That Richard Stallman

That Richard Stallman has let himself go.

3. Anomalous Cowshed

80-90 million years ago, the Western part of North America was called Laramidia...and there was a huge inner sea channel and Utah had beach-front properties. This is an advert from an estate agent of the era (which was recently discovered fossilised, the advert, not the estate agent): "Beach-front property in Laramidia for sale - outstanding sea views. 50 metre high, 10 metre thick walls, no less than ten remotely operated 20mm, multiple-barrel Gatling guns and military grade steel nets overhead for guaranteed safety from the local wildlife. just around the corner from massive shopping mall with McDonalds, Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken (expected in a few millionyears).

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

Paleoboffins

Just wanted to see that word again!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> BLOOD KING of the TYRANNOSAURS, forefather of T-Rex

So they were really scary T-Rex, then regular T-Rex and now they are chickens?

Evolution has a wicked sense of humour...

1. Ragarath

But clever!

Chickens are yummy, they have managed to get the humans to continue their propagation for, well as far as I can see, forever.

Now if there was a big T-Rex still running around we would all have clubs and spears (perhaps a machine gun is more appropriate) in our hands trying to make them extinct.

Perhaps evolution thought, I like the T-Rex lets keep him alive by making him taste good*. But! lets have some fun along the way.

* Yes I know chickens may** not be directly devolved from T-Rex.

** Birds came from dinosaurs, there may still be heritage there!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Coat

Machine gun ?

You can shoot an elephant with an AK-47, but I'm not convinced you can kill it faster that way. For a T-Rex-sized animal, a machine gun would probably just wound and enrage it, and you wouldn't have time to reload before it tore (or trampled) you to pieces.

Hunting big game requires big guns, the double-barrelled shotgun type. Of course, a 12.7 would do wonders to kill just about any dino, I think, but there would not be much as far as leftover meat to cook is concerned.

1. Fibbles

Re: Machine gun ?

Finally, a use for those 50cal "hunting" rounds!

Now all I need is a time machine, a pith helmet and a blatant disregard for causality.

1. LaeMing
            Happy

"...blatant disregard for causality."

Unless you are the reason they went extinct, in which case causality requires you to go!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Go

Did anyone else just hear thunder? And why is John McCain President??

2. JCitizen
          Gimp

Hell, machine guns are ineffective against small animals as well! I know, because I tried it on prairie dogs! After the dust cloud settled - no prairie dogs were harmed! HA!

6. b 3

dinosaurs are not lizards!

..they are BIRDS!

1. Jared Hunt
      Boffin

Re: dinosaurs are not lizards!

Stricty speaking, it's the other way round. All birds are dinosaurs by definition but not all dinosaurs became birds.

2. Stevie

Re: dinosaurs are not lizards!

Decades of naming would suggest you are not welcome at the clever fossil collector table for this view.

7. bomtrown

Expanding earth. Was the earth a smaller planet with less gravity in the past? allowing much larger land creatures to exist? With present day gravity, such large dinosaurs would be impossible. True or false.

1. vonBureck

FYI: http://what-if.xkcd.com/67/

8. Stevie

Hah!

Can't hear the audio of the video here at work, but this is irrefutable evidence that cavemen were alive at the same time as this new Tyranosaurus Muchusspiffius and waxing fat on them. The one in the picture with the visibly well-fed and satisfied gourmand has obviously been picked to the bone.

9. Graham Marsden
    Devil

King of Gore?

Or, perhaps, Gore Head?

Has someone been reading Flesh in recent editions of 2000AD?

This topic is closed for new posts.