back to article KitKat swats yet another Android 'MasterKey' bug

Android 4.4 contains a fix for yet another – albeit weaker variant – of the so-called MasterKey bug that first surfaced in July. The vulnerability first shook the security world when mobile security startup Bluebox Security warned about a class of flaw that potentially affected 99 per cent of Android devices. The problem …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I keep hearing about these Android bugs...

... and have no idea how worried I actually need to be.

I mean I keep my phone clean as a clean thing: latest Cyanogen stable build, backed up every update, tried and tested apps, Cerberus... what else could I do right?

So until the phone rapture comes and all non Jesus phones get bricked by some zero day beast, I'm going to continue to count the number of fucks I give on no hands with my eyes closed.

1. RyokuMas
      Black Helicopters

Re: I keep hearing about these Android bugs...

"So until the phone rapture comes and all non Jesus phones get bricked by some zero day beast, I'm going to continue to count the number of fucks I give on no hands with my eyes closed."

... kind of like everyone did with internet connected Windows PCs back in the 90s?

Remember, this is Android, brought to you by the same company that routinely reads your emails and provided means for the NSA to flout any idea of the right to privacy. Android that currently powers what 70%? of the worldwide market share of smartphones - the vast majority of them being owned by non-techs who probably don't even know or care about Cyanogen, Cerberus, root access etc...

This is a shitstorm waiting to happen and when it does, it'll make the whole Microsoft-malware security thing of the 90s seem like a minor glitch.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" the vast majority of them being owned by non-techs "

which is probably why Google have been rolling out security updates, in the form of updates to Google Play Services, to the vast majority of them, This is why my old handset, still running Android 2.3.4 has a new version on it, delivered silently, that includes numerous security updates.

Still, don't let irritating things like facts get in the way of a typical fanboi rant.

1. RyokuMas
          Boffin

"Google have been rolling out security updates"...

Google have been rolling out security updates. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

1. thesykes

Who do you expect to roll it out?

Last time I looked, the security updates for my Windows laptop come from Microsoft. I'll hazard a guess that Apple does something similar for Macs and iPhones.

Strange that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple, MS and the majority of others were all passing on the same info Ryoku. Following your logic, any OS made by a major company (so most) have exactly the same issue, so not soley an Android issue.

I do some what agree it is a shitstorm waiting to happen, how ever I don't think it is as likely as the tinfoil hat wearing community believe. Personally I still won't take anything for granted, but if it does happen I will be surprised.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bugs

But I thought that Android/Linux didn't have bugs or security issues.

ROFLMAO

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like