back to article Fring brings Skype to the iPhone

Fring, the VoIP client that integrates with various VoIP networks including the ubiquitous Skype, is now available for the iPhone - providing exactly the kind of application that Steve Jobs stated wouldn't be allowed. Fring started out as a mobile client for accessing Skype, though the application now connects to all sorts of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Wrong!

Steve jobs DID NOT "state explicitly, when he launched the official iPhone developer's kit, that VoIP applications would not be welcome."

He in fact, said the complete opposite, that they would be allowed, as long as they worked over wi-fi not the cellular network.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C14761/

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/08/apple-to-allow-voip-on-iphone/

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apple-Wont-Block-VOIP-over-WiFi-on-iPhone/

2. Ash
    Thumb Up

Well done Fring!

I use it on my E51 for calls whenever i'm within wifi range (at home, out and about), and for IM when possible. There is a volume issue with the E51 which needs resolving (FAR too low to be useable), and auto-signin on boot doesn't work (have to disable and enable skype login to resolve), but that's a minor bug for dirt cheap calls, especially abroad.

Truphone caused my E51 to crash after about half an hour; an issue experienced by all E51 users (and some N95, if I remember correctly), but this was attributed to the firmware not handling wireless disconnections in a stable fashion.

If they can solve the issues with Skype, there's definate competition with mobile carriers to be had, and that will be the only business model they need. I see Fring as it is as an open beta.

3. Greg

Hehe

Awww, is Jobs losing his monopoly on all things iPhone? Poor thing.

Oh well, maybe if more people start unlocking their iPhones Apple will get the hint, and it'll start being actually useful.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Wrong wrong wrong!

During the SDK launch Q&A (the one you guys don't get invited to) Steve was asked about VOIP. He said that it would be allowed via WiFi but not via Edge / GPRS etc.

5. Ian Cleary
    Paris Hilton

Quite good

It's a breakthrough but is definitely beta, some missing features and it's a bit of a system hog... but oh my, did an iPhone Skype call to Denmark this morning and it was a winner :-)

Love it

Paris because this will be VoIP for the discerning heiress

6. Benny
    Linux

You can't tell me what to do...

"Steve Jobs stated explicitly, when he launched the official iPhone developer's kit, that VoIP applications would not be welcome"

Seriously, next he'll be telling me I cant Linux on MY ipod, or run an app I build myself on MY MacBook. I really don't understand why hes so bothered, it's not like it affects them in anyway!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

w00t!

This is awesome news, the lack of Skype support was one of the main reasons holding me back from buying an iPhone, now i'll get one. Might wait to June/July for the 3G one though and have the best of all worlds (GSM/3G/VoIP).

8. Rich Silver badge

Have your pie and eat it?

"Steve Jobs stated explicitly, when he launched the official iPhone developer's kit, that VoIP applications would not be welcome"

What kind of a statement is that? You can't advertise and sell an "open" software platform and then complain about the types of applications that people write for it!

As far as I know, even MS haven't tried to dictate the types of applications that their OS (I use the term VERY loosely) can run. Not officially, anyway.

9. Phil Atkin
    Stop

Wrong

'Steve Jobs stated explicitly, when he launched the official iPhone developer's kit, that VoIP applications would not be welcome.' - inaccurate. VOIP over WiFi is legit and will be welcomed. Over 3G or EDGE it's disallowed.

10. Alex Read
    Alien

Bill Ray - a closet Jedi?

"But annoy Apple this surely will" - I couldn't help think of Yoda when I read that!

If Bill's been in contact with him that much as to pickup his speech patterns then I for one AM afraid of Bill Ray!!!! :c0

Green alien for obvious reasons, even though the pointy ears are missing...

11. Seán
    Jobs Horns

Jobs is a douchebag

"VOIP over WiFi is legit and will be welcomed. Over 3G or EDGE it's disallowed."

We'll see about that.

12. Neil Alexander
    Stop

Re: Benny

"Seriously, next he'll be telling me I cant Linux on MY ipod, or run an app I build myself on MY MacBook. I really don't understand why hes so bothered, it's not like it affects them in anyway!"

Ah, but that's where you're wrong. It matters an awful lot to Apple, because they have a very expensive handset that is overhyped and the only way an operator will ever sell it is on an 18-month contract at least.

The moment that operators realise that people are using this very expensive (and therefore, heavily subsidized) tool to make calls over their data network for what is more likely less expensive than their own network, or even free, then suddenly there is nothing in it for the operator and they'll stop carrying the handset. That'd be the end of Apple iPhone, in Steve Jobs' eyes.

Having said that, though, a lot of phone operators are already ruling against VoIP use on their data networks in their terms and conditions.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg needs to make up it's mind

According to this article you'd think iPhone users are wailing in the streets for a VoIP client so that they can use it to, erm, talk to people.

But other El Reg articles, such as "iPhone owners talk less, spend loads more" (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/02/isuppli_iphone_useage/)claim that people with iPhones aren't worried about doing that much talking on them anyway.

*scratches head*

14. Ben Bufton
    Stop

@Neil Alexander

"The moment that operators realise that people are using this very expensive (and therefore, heavily subsidized) tool to make calls over their data network for what is more likely less expensive than their own network, or even free, then suddenly there is nothing in it for the operator and they'll stop carrying the handset. That'd be the end of Apple iPhone, in Steve Jobs' eyes."

Talk about getting your wires crossed. It's because Apple HAVEN'T subsidised the phone that it's EXPENSIVE. Duh!

I'm sure Apple loves the extra income that the Network subscription provides, but if you told Steve Jobs he could sell 10 million new Macs in 1 year, to many current non-Mac using customers, back in 1976, don't you think he would have chewed your arm off?

And if you think of the major gripes (no 3G, no user installable software (inc VoIP), locked to single carrier and limited capacity) - many of those, it seems, may be disappearing over the next few months - and then what will we all have to gripe about I wonder? :)

The iPhone is, like it or not, an amazing product, and you gotta think that with a few tweaks it's gonna be very, very hard to compete with.

Whether that's good or not, well, we only have Nokia, Sony etc... to blame. What have they been doing all these years...

15. Gordon Fecyk
    Alert

iPhone malware predicted -- film at 11

"...something like Fring could well be the killer application that turns iPhone users to the dark side of unlocked apps and a download-from-anywhere philosophy."

Where have I read this sort of thing before... I'm pretty sure it was during the release of Internet Explorer 3. Something about ActiveX. We know what happened shortly after that, right?

Yes, indeed. A "download from anywhere philosophy" became standard. And after that, all of the rest of the ills of the Internet taking advantage of the security weaknesses in users. "Here, dumb user. Have some free smilies. Click the 'allow' button, come on, you know you want to..." I can't wait for Smiley Central's first iPhone (iPhony?) product.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The iPhone is, like it or not, an amazing product .... r u sure?

Having had a go on one of these iPhones I must say I was very unimpressed. It has been overhyped like most Apple products. I found it to be no better than the average mobile. It had some 'toys' that I am sure would attract some muppets, but on the whole, its a peice of obsolete hardware before it hit the shelves (honestly, 2g - just as 4g is approaching?). I am less than surprised that there are so many blinded Apple followers out there, they seem to still think Apple is cool. Sorry chaps, thats so 1980's, Apple has not been cool for a long long time.

When I bought my iBook I knew what I was getting - a peice of obsolete hardware that didn't run Windows and allowed me to easily do the tasks I wanted from it (manage text based equipment). I was under no illusion that it was anywhere near cutting edge or useful for anything power hungry, or even much at all to be honest. The same goes for the iPhone, except I dont think buying a phone because it has ONE good point (its UI) is a top plan, thus I dont have one and wont ever buy a locked phone. Especially relevant these days when you have these superb no-ties 30day contracts - at last the providers are learnign what we want!!

17. Ty Huffman

Bad Intel

Wi-Fi is allowed for VoIP as this is through Apple. However through Edge or 3G is not allowed as this would, in effect, be using the AT&T network to circumvent charges and limits on their plans. Please get this information correct as it is a breakthrough to be allowed to use WiFi as we are with the iPhone. WiFi access is growing, and whole cities are being covered. WiMax will only take this further faster. So soon my iPhone will mostly use WiFi and have a great network to fall back on when I'm away from the city, the best of both worlds, plus 911 calls and location. Nice if the iPhone got true GPS for better directions and emergencies.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like