back to article Dell under fire for labour rights abuses at China plants

Dell has become the latest Western technology giant to find itself accused of labour rights violations at plants operated by Chinese suppliers, with new allegations suggesting extensive overtime, low wages, discriminatory hiring and dangerous working environments are all prevalent. Compiled by rights groups DanWatch and China …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Effect on the end price?

Since most of the products we buy are assembled in China by near slave labour, I'm not sure many people are able to criticise Dell et al, given that we're buying the shiny stuff cheap no questions asked.

But is there any good evidence to explain what is the impact on the end product price of (a) some living wage and decent working conditions in China, and (b) making the product in the US or Europe? If we wanted to get all ethical, how much would the price tag be?

The second part of the obvious question is who currently benefits? Does it translate to some definition of excess corporate profits or is it consumer price savings? For Apple it seems to certainly be excess profits, not sure that's always true away from the "price setter" firms.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Effect on the end price?

excess corporate profit

That concept does not make any sense at all and has been pulled from "progressive" dictionary.

You know the only "non-excessive" profit will, in the end, be 0. Upon which Marxist types will be happy and the excellency of NORK can be attained. God Bless!

2. Vociferous

> If we wanted to get all ethical, how much would the price tag be?

Fewer maimed and dead & higher living standards in China, plus fewer manufacturing jobs lost in the West?

Doubtful.

Currently China subsidizes the economy with overly cheap stuff, not to mention buying of "government bonds".

If that stops, there will be gnashing an wailing, not "more manufacturing jobs". And it's not like these jobs will be back quickly with the regulatory horrors and all around "I'm doing what I want and what people like to hear because life is good" attitude of the political elites.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

At first I agreed but then...

The report also alleges age and gender discrimination in hiring

Why are white whines coming up in this study?

Do you want a 40-year old male to assemble the components? I sure hope not.

1. Vociferous

Re: At first I agreed but then...

Would you like to be able to find or hold a job when you're 40? I sure hope not.

Thanks I'm AM currently holding a job.

Also, false dichotomy. Nobody will give me a job I can't do at my age. Like component assembly needing a sure hand and fine discrimination in the optical field.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The point is that while for small runs hand assembling is the way to go, any larger runs it makes sense to use automation, hence the reason the Raspberry Pi is assembled in the UK as they have larger enough numbers...

The only reason China uses people to assemble is they can get them at almost slave labour prices, and from the sounds of the locations I expect the local government has a few corrupt officials/inspectors to bribe and keep the factory open....

While China may have a controlled media, they do actually some pretty good investigations, as long as the end result is good for the PRC.

and the PRC prosecuting these factory owners along with the officials getting punished would be good public relations. I.E. the officials/inspectors are low enough down the chain to be disposable, so if they have embezzled more than £1Million, they had better get their affairs in order soon...

IIRC a news article when I was in the PRC last, they actually executed two guys who defrauded toll booths by claiming they lived in a different location and avoiding tolls for their business, it added up to multiple millions over the years they ran the scam...

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

136 Hours overtime??

The basic week is 40 and they are doing 136 hours overtime?

How is that even possible, there are only 168 hours in a week?

4. nematoad

I was wrong

"extensive overtime, low wages, discriminatory hiring and dangerous working environments ..."

Ah! And there was me thinking that they did it all with Magic Fairy Dust.

The trouble is even if you look and find something not made in China the chances are there will be components in said device that ARE made in China.

So what to do? Best thing is to continue the disclosures and try and put pressure on the vendors, it's not like we have much leverage over the manufacturers in China, but the likes of Apple and Dell do.

5. MrXavia

So Dell agreed in the violations and said they'll fix it?

Sounds like a result to me! I just hope they really do kick this kind of thing in the butt!

Although having lived in China, I can't imagine how bad the conditions are for the locals to complain about their accommodations being cramped...

Dell do have one good thing they do, and that is they sell a laptop pre-built with Linux! the other big pc companies can't say that... sure it would be nice to have it cheaper than the windows machine, BUT I have to accept that the investment per machine in getting drivers right etc. is higher than the windows version.

6. Tanuki
    Devil

Dell also claims to be improving accountability and transparency in its supplier tracking including a “red flag process that tracks suppliers with priority issues”.

A "Red Flag" process is rather appropriate in the context of Chinese manufacture, no?

7. MacGyver

where is the love

And here I thought their hardware was being made with love, I guess this explains why their DRACs die all the time.

If someone somewhere doesn't get exploited or screwed over, then how will someone create a wealth imbalance.

8. HeyMickey

Meaningless statement is meaningless

"Such factors led to a turnover of workers at some plants of up to 40 per cent"

40% turnover over what time period? A week? A month? A year? Since the factory opened?

The last one wouldn't be that bad...

9. kiwimuso
    Unhappy

Responsibility????

While the likes of Dell', Apple and other companies are being taken to task for 'not doing something' about the working conditions, I guess it is good business to buy from the cheapest source.

Surely it is the Chinese government (or wherever this is occurring) that should be taking responsibility for the welfare of their countries workforce. After all, they are supposed to be a Communist country.

I know past Communist countries did not have the highest regard for labour laws, they are the ones who are directly responsible for passing and enforcing them.

Perhaps we should be aiming our condemnation to the various countries' governments to take action for their own workers.

In the end, we may not like it but companies have a duty to shareholders to produce profits for them. I just wish that some of them didn't "price gouge so much.

1. kiwimuso
      Facepalm

Re: Responsibility????

Damn! "country's workforce'' - of course

10. cortland

Why pretend surprise?

Regulations to pay a decent wage, make machinery safe, not poison the air and water, etc... these are why our "conservatives" want to abolish the (US) EPA and other inconvenient regulators. Of COURSE the overseas workers are treated like rolls of paper in the toilet (UK: WC); that's how the factories make money. And the rest, too, all the way up the chain.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Captain Renault; Casablanca, 1942

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/quotes

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like