back to article Microsoft glues Windows 8, Windows Phone programming programs

In a step toward creating a single, unified app store for both desktop Windows and Windows Phone, Microsoft has announced that developers can now register for both stores simultaneously using the same account. Beginning on Wednesday, registered Windows Store developers can also submit apps to the Windows Phone store using …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a rush

A rush to market. It just shows a pure lack of integration when someone needed two different accounts to publish apps for two platforms that Microsoft has. No wonder why many developers just stayed away. Microsoft should be offering free accounts to get developers.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: What a rush

At least using different accounts would be a nice reminder to the dev in question to make sure they post their app to the appropriate section, rather than just have a universal login and rely on them "knowing" they selected the correct radio button, or selection from a drop down box.*

* I have no idea if MS app store submissions work this way, but given the half arsed nature of everything they do, it wouldnt surprise me in the least.

2. dogged

Re: What a rush

> Microsoft should be offering free accounts to get developers.

Because malware developers are developers too!

And so are the people who write fart apps, right?

It's funny how nobody complains about Apple charging for dev licenses. Or the fact that you need to buy a Mac to write iOS apps.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS should open development to more tools

One of the reason there are few Windows 8 RT applications (Windows Phone has far more) is MS "fenced" the developemt too much. Many third party development tools used for Windows development can't target RT because APIs are not available but to MS or going through MS development tools. Unlike other platforms, since the beginning Windows benefitted by many applications written using non-MS tools.

Especially now they have to suatain a platform which came late and badly needs applications to take off.

1. dogged

Re: MS should open development to more tools

Er.. all the VS Express editions are free.

Where's the problem?

3. pierce
    Facepalm

they are really trying to kill off Windows for desktop workstations.

gee, apple has a store, google has a store, WE MUST HAVE STORE TOO!

gee, noone wants to USE our store, LETS FORCE THEM IF THEY USE WINDOWS.

gee, noone WANTS TO USE WINDOWS ANYMORE ON THEIR DESKTOP

now what?

1. Robert Grant

They don't force people to use their store.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They don't force people to use their store

Err, dunno what world you're livin' in, dude. They rang me and said they kidnapped my wife and kids, and will kill them unless I used their store.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"they are really trying to kill off Windows for desktop workstations."

Doesn't seem to have worked so far. Windows share of the desktop is steady at over 90%....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like