back to article Cisco rolls dice with 'CONTROL EVERYTHING' softy networking launch

Cisco has revealed its response to the piranha-like software-defined networking technology that threatens to devour its margins and reduce the worth of its proprietary hardware. The "Application Centric Infrastructure" (ACI) technology was belched out by the company at a press event in New York on Wednesday. It sees the world' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"don't dare switching their hardware vendor"

And this is the primary reason why I would never let my company touch Cisco .. that and the fact they are still stuck in the 90's... I've seen too many companies fall in the "Cisco" trap, they get trapped with Vendor lock-in on the hardware, then they need ego-inflated-and-over-paid Network Admin's just to keep the thing running.

2. Choofer

I can't wait until the day I no longer need a dozen Cisco CCIE's. They are the hardest employees to manage, the ones that cause the most outages, the hardest to talk to, and the ones that seem the least to grasp the concept of dynamic infrastructure. They have held up the software defined datacenter too long. I am a big proponent of SDN, but not sure i'd stick with a Cisco driven model. I'm going to wait until the Gen2 gear arrives, then slowly replace everything with the cheapest gear (HP, Huwaei?) I can and leverage the move of the control plane into the software layer.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Maybe we are doing hardware-defined networking... but if I can put that same box with better performance and better programmability in your data center, cheaper than a white box out of Taiwan, do you care?"

If the first hit is free, followed by "you pay, you pay, you pay" then you're goddamned right I care. If you consistently end up cheaper than Huawei, we'll talk. If you're just trying to get me on the crank so you can crank every bent copper from my wallet then fuck off you goddamned ecosystem leech.

Switching is a commodity now, Cisco.

4. James 36

"We are the Cisco. Lower your firewalls and surrender your wallets. We will add your software defined networking and commodity switches to our own. Your company will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like