back to article Ogle high-end 3D models, games in a browser: Ask Amazon, Autodesk, Otoy

Los Angeles–based graphics company Otoy has teamed up with Autodesk to deliver high-quality gaming and graphics applications that run on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and can be accessed from any web browser. "By deploying a high-performance, pre-configured 'OctaneCloud Workstation' AMI [Amazon Machine Image], design and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Aim Down Sights

I'm going to have to troll this one out and ask...Just another target for Amazon?

Seriously though, I'm not sure I see much need for this in regards to 3D modeling. However, what Otoy is presenting is a nice finished product of the possibilities for other markets. So, to continue trolling, I can see Amazon sniping this application and rolling it out to all markets that require automation of any sort, then of course finally bumping Otoy out of the way with a future product that just so happens to have the ability to be slightly tweaked to handle 3D rendering.

Not gonna lie, at this point I'm seeing pretty much all companies dealing with Amazon as future targets. That being said, getting start up companies to feel for markets and do all the R&D for you...well that is pretty slick.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Aim Down Sights

> I'm not sure I see much need for this in regards to 3D modeling.

I think it could be damned useful for 3D modelling.

1, If a workflow requires features only found in one particular package, this can be rented for the job and charged to client -as opposed to a small shop making a large investment in the software.

2, No need to invest in your own render farm, since Mental Ray announced a similar service with AWS last year.

3, Corroborative design with engineers on different continents.

1. Robert Grant

Re: Aim Down Sights

Revit doesn't use the GPU for render, as far as I know.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like