back to article SCIENCE and RELIGION AGREE! LIFE and Man ARE from CLAY

Topflight boffins say they have discovered that life - or anyway the necessary complex precursor chemicals without which life cannot appear - probably originated in ancient "clay hydrogels". "We propose that in early geological history clay hydrogel provided a confinement function for biomolecules and biochemical reactions," …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Trollface

So...

... what about all the other claims in the Bible...?

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: So...

I think this might be just a tiny bit "tongue in cheek", there is a slight difference between clays forming the substrate, confinement and some chemicals for early single cell-like structures to form, and squidging some clay into a man, breathing life into it and sending it on it's way. Of course I may be wrong.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Oh Jeebus...

I was just going to refresh my knowledge of the six days of creation in Genesis to see how well it tallies with science (the order is vaguely correct) but I got distracted by this moronic site:

http://www.missiontoamerica.com/genesis/days-of-creation.html

I like the way that it explicitly goes out of its way to show that there can be no compromise between science and the Bible ( or their interpretation of their version of a bible)

Oh, but it gets better- apparently T-Rex was a vegetarian (else it doesn't fit the scripture):

http://www.missiontoamerica.com/genesis/dinosaurs-people.html

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Dave 126

The problem in the US has been twofold: first, the Westward expansion outran civilisation, which meant that preachers outran scholarship, hence Bible literalists who didn't even realise the Bible wasn't originally in English. Second, American exceptionalism which tends to support the idea that mankind is unique, and that homo sapiens americanus is the very peak of the pyramid.

The chilling effect has had implications for anthropology, psychology and zoology, for a start (chimpanzees, for instance, can't have language because God only gave it to mankind) and even astronomy, where the plurality of worlds - something that was obvious to Pope in the 18th century - has to be defended as an idea against the people who believe in the uniqueness, in a vast universe, of life on Earth.

This is how it is possible to have, say, rocket scientists who believe that the Earth was created in 4004 BC. It is of course more difficult if you actually are a geologist or an astrophysicist.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Bible wasn't originally in English.

You aren't trying to imply that Jesus was a foreigner are you?

>homo sapiens americanus is the very peak of the pyramid.

Unlikely - they don't even play cricket

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

I remember cricket. I sprayed the corner it was chirping from, it stopped. ;)

I'll not even go into US-foreigner nonsense. So short a life, shorter for being a US citizen within the US, so much to rail against...

2. deadlockvictim

It takes guts to say Jesus

This Jesus fellow was a troublemaker from the West Bank, wasn't he? Probably Palestinian. They are like that, you know.

3. heldeman

So if Jesus was a foreigner from which country?

Where can we find his birth certificate?

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Now, now. As a lifelong US citizen, born in the US, raised in the US, I have to disagree with your disparagement of US exceptionalism.

The US is chock full of exceptional people. The same exceptional people who we usually load into a short bus to special education.

You *are* correct that religious lunatics spread as fast, if not faster than western expansion. Interestingly enough, the most respected in "the hills" are not men who have a college degree in any form of divinities, but in the "preacher", who is as qualified in religion as the petroleum station attendant in religion or pretty much anything else.

I'll also disagree your your species name. It is obviously correct as pan sapiens americanus, though I'm being generous with the sapiens part in regards to the entire species.

I do agree with the suppression of science in the US. You're spot on.

However, the Earth *is* only 6000 years old or so, from a relativistic perspective, for a sparse few particles throughout the universe. ;)

Even money, far more particles *really* close to an event horizon as well.

1. heldeman

Science have proved the first humans came from Africa. So as a African born, let me correct you. Jesus made the first version 1.0 in the Magaliesberg mountains. You see the perfect clay for human conception only exist here. The holy tabernacel with enough clay hidden inside can be found here by truly religious people. If your faith is not strong enough you will not be able to see it. You can buy a chart worth $10,000,000 from me.

3. Reginald Gerard

Re: So... (difficult if you actually are a geologist)

Well there is a Kurt Wise, B.A. (Chicago), Ph.D. (Harvard) that is infamous for the following...

"Although there are scientific reasons for accepting a young earth, I am a young-age creationist because that is my understanding of the Scripture. As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate. Here I must stand."

As Richard Dawkings so rightly sums this up "he volunteers that, even if all the evidence in the universe flatly contradicted Scripture, and even if he had reached the point of admitting this to himself, he would still take his stand on Scripture and deny the evidence."

With so many in the US blind to rational thought they are in serious trouble in the long run.

http://scepsis.net/eng/articles/id_2.php

2. Youngone Silver badge

Wow, http://www.missiontoamerica.com is awesome, it has completely changed my World view. As part of the explanation for vegetarian dinosaurs, he says "Big, sharp teeth do not mean an animal is a meat eater." which is correct of course, just think of sharks, no wait, think of tigers, um, no... lions. Well he did mention bears, so I suppose he must be right.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"which is correct of course, just think of sharks, no wait, think of tigers, um, no... lions."

Ever been bitten by a rabbit?

Oh, wrong TYPE of teeth. ;)

Besides, the last good evidence I saw, T-Rex wasn't a carnivore, it was a scavenger.

Seriously, I *am* entirely certain that T-Rex *ate*. What is open for interpretation. ;)

But, sharp teeth is relative. Snakes have sharp teeth, as do mice, rabbits, lions, tigers and bears.

Oh, my!

1. TitterYeNot
              Joke

Ever been bitten by a rabbit?

Rabbit? Is this the killer Rabbit of Caerbannog?

2. Kyle Roberts

... Panda Bears. Pandas have sharp teeth and are vegetarian.

3. Euripides Pants

"http://www.missiontoamerica.com/genesis/days-of-creation.html

http://www.missiontoamerica.com/genesis/dinosaurs-people.html"

Yep, crazy people tend to respond to the world around them in a crazy manner. This includes making crazy religions (not all of us think the Bible is a science textbook).

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Yep, crazy people tend to respond to the world around them in a crazy manner. This includes making crazy religions (not all of us think the Bible is a science textbook)."

Well, if one changes water to fluid, the interpretation changes entirely. ;)

In the beginning, there was nothing. The hyperfluid was separated from the solid... ;)

Hey, one can take any silly and run with it in a ludicrous way to make it almost reach reality.

In the beginning, there was nothingness.

Then, I farted. So, I declared, let there be a light upon the fart and it was so.

The light changed the fart into water and other gases and I noticed the STAIN, which I called land.

Water, land. It was good.

Eventually, I got fatigued and created man.

Man was loathsome, evil, corrupt, mass-extinction driving, so I gave man fire to burn himself to death with.

Damn! Man didn't.

So, I gave Man iron, to stab himself to death with.

Bugger! He was and remains too prolific!

So, I gave Man nuclear fire.

The jury is still out...

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That'll be a struggle.

Which six days of creation order are you going to use?

The one at the start of genesis which goes Heaven and Earth, Light, Sky, Plants, Sun moon and stars, Fish and birds, Land animals, Man and woman at the same time.

Or the one a little bit later that goes Man, Plants, Birds and land animals, Woman.

I think "Innerrency" may be town in Wisconsin.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"I think this might be just a tiny bit "tongue in cheek", there is a slight difference between clays forming the substrate, confinement and some chemicals for early single cell-like structures to form, and squidging some clay into a man, breathing life into it and sending it on it's way."

True enough, as every clay I've looked at the chemical analysis of had a dearth of iron.

You remember iron, that hemo part of hemoglobin?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The one about it being a good idea not to interrupt more important guests at dinner parties is a good one. As is the observation of Jeremiah that if you don't pay attention to the needs of the poorer parts of society you will get a lot of unrest.

The rest of it is somewhere in reliability between the Physical Review and the Daily Mail.

2. Lloyd

SCIENCE and RELIGION AGREE! LIFE and mankind ARE from CLAY

< pedant>I think it's more likely that they're MADE from CLAY. I'm assuming that's a typo. </ pedant>

1. Thecowking

Re: SCIENCE and RELIGION AGREE! LIFE and mankind ARE from CLAY

I'd say from clay is more accurate than made from clay in this context.

Humans are manifestly not made from various alumina or silicates, but are largely made of water and carbon and squidgy bits (technical term).

Like a farmer may be of the land but not made from actual cow shit (whether they talk it is a per farmer decision), life may be of clay but not made of it.

1. Lloyd

I knew I shouldn't have posted what I perceived to be a smart arsed comment when I'd been down the gym and needed a sugar fix. I take it back and I'm having a Mars bar.

1. Thecowking

Then you're fully equipped to work, rest, and dare I say it even play.

I want a mars bar now. Or a Marathon/Snickers.

(Oddly I can't remember a single snickers advert, but that marathon one where all the runners appear and run over his car is still stuck in my head)

2. Tom 35

So men are from Mars...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably shouldn't try to be a "pendant" when you're wrong.

"Are made from clay" would mean you could chop them up and you'd have pieces of clay.

"Are from clay" means there was some kind of process that started with clay and ended up with people.

3. Ed_UK
      Thumb Up

Of course God made us from clay; the 3D printer hadn't been invented, otherwise he'd have used one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Louis Pasteur, in 1859, disproved spontaneous generation.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Pasteur disproved spontaneous generation in glass jars of modest size, which were subject to limited physical influences (tides, hot/cycling etc), over a finite period of time.

Had Pasteur's test apparatus been a geologically active planet and he had a few billion years to spare, he may have observed something different. Even if you attribute life on Earth to the Panspermia theory, that in turn must have originated somewhere.

Some clays are crystalline, and like many crystals their form can be influenced by the seed crystal from which they grew... the theory that there was an inorganic precursor to RNA has been around for a while (how could a complex mechanism such as the ribosome boot-strap itself); I think Dawkins mentions it in The Blind Watchmaker, along with the wry observation that carbon-based life might eventually prove to be a mere blip between silica and silicon, should intelligent machines ever supplant us meatbags.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dave 126

In fact, as one of our lecturers commented, Pasteur was lucky. Some bacterial spores can survive 125C and it was only by chance that none of them made it through the initial treatment in his apparatus.

"how could a complex mechanism such as the ribosome boot-strap itself?"

I agree, now I'm over 60 I have considerable difficulty getting my boots on some mornings.

Feeble joking aside, the precursor to RNA could have been one of a number of carbon chain molecules that are "organic" from the point of view of chemists. The idea that some clays would have surface hydrogen bonds in an orientation which encouraged precursors to line up and eventually form chains isn't that far fetched.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      FAIL

Louis Pasteur, in 1859, disproved spontaneous generation.

There is so much wrong with that statement that P is actually NP!

You need to return to the back of the line!

4. codejunky Silver badge

However

God was actually trying to make a bowl

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: However

To put spare ribs into? And look what happened....

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: However

FAT AMERICANS! FEASTING ON SPARE RIBS!

5. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Life formed in clay?

If that happened at the beginning of life, shouldn't we be able to observe that nowadays as well? Is clay (and all other things) already too much "polluted" with life?

1. Thecowking

Re: Life formed in clay?

I'd guess that it might happen, but some enterprising microbe would sense some delicious organic compounds and ingest them.

Amoebae, destroyers of nacent civilisations. (And incidentally protector of Rome at various points in time).

Conclusion, amoeba speak Latin.

2. DJO Silver badge

Not polluted with life as such, more polluted with one of the most toxic and reactive elements known: Oxygen. Those pre-biotic reactions cannot happen now as the conditions are significantly different.

If you have access to BBC TV and don't mind being patronised rigid and having to watch a load of stupid CGI there's an hour long Richard Hammond program with about 5 minutes of useful info (and 55 minutes of pointless fluff) which might help a bit here.

1. toddf

Not a new idea. From wikipedia Abiogenesis: A clay model for the origin of life was suggested by A. Graham Cairns-Smith. Clay theory postulates that complex organic molecules arose gradually on a pre-existing non-organic platform, namely, silicate crystals in solution. That was in 1985.

This idea is to explain how complex organic molecules like RNA which is primary to all terrestrial life might have been naturally synthesized. It seems impossible that these could ever have happened from their precursor molecules in solution. Looks like this new work carries clay world work a bit further.

Suggestion: hear The Teaching Company lectures Origins of Life by Prof. Hazen. Very listenable, interesting and exciting, if you're interested in this subject. Much more engaging then reading text books for overview, general coverage. Audio version is fine, all you need, IMO. Great for long car trips. Can often get TTC lectures on ebay for a song.

1. Burbage

Although it''s not a new idea this paper does provide a little more evidence in favour of it. Moreover, it suggests that things more probably kicked off (as popularly suspected) with strings of nucleotides, rather than, say, strings of amino acids, or life-forms from other stars. Whether it's worth taking an interest in the subject is a different question, given it's far too late to do anything about it now. But each to their own.

3. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

"shouldn't we be able to observe that nowadays as well?". No we are not good at observing nowadays or anyodays for the simple reason we as individuals are too short living. Consider the age of our planet, say 5bn years, then considers a ruler 5km long from now to then. On that scale 2000 years is 2mm. 1M years is one meter. And that one meter is perhaps when we started to speak, one meter out of 5000 meter. And now we have mostly Americans who find it difficult to understand that the chimpanzee they saw 50 years ago has not produced a Batman or Bill during all those years. The damned thing is that it seems to work too well in the opposite direction. Then again if we study viruses and stuff like that we can actually observe things changing within our lifespan, and looking back in time we have archaeology which sounds more important than what it is, digging in the junk left behind, and there is a hell of a lot of that. What do they teach you at school.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It could happen today, but mutations involve a terrible amount of luck and the correct environment to survive.

5. David Pollard

"Shouldn't we be able to observe that nowadays as well?"

We can indeed observe more and more details of plausible processes. Using your favourite search engine look for something like ["Jack Szostak" "origin of life" clay] and take a look at the research he and others have been doing during the past decade or so and the progress that has been made.

6. Khaptain Silver badge

Interesting thought

If God exists then why would he bother with something as universally insignificant as mankind.

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: Interesting thought

If God does exist then it would be because he like a good laugh as much as the next entity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If God does exist then it would be because he like a good laugh"

God is female, and we all know that (some) women have an affinity towards small, helpless and not terribly bright creatures (such as men and cats).

She likes to have a small planet to mother. But remember that mothers are not always terribly nice people.

2. Martin Gregorie

This idea about clay shows it wasn't some science-hating[*] god that got life going here: it was Aliens From Outer Space who, being fearsomely scientific, knew all about the generative properties of clay and started the process running before blasting off for some place else that already had bright lights, booze and barmaids

[*] This is self-evident: all True Believers know that they are Made In God's Image, so if they hate science, then obviously He hated science. QED

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>all True Believers know that they are Made In God's Image

As Zappa observed, "God says we are made in his image So if we are dumb then God is dumb- and a little ugly on the side".

3. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

"If God exists then why would he bother with something as universally insignificant as mankind."

We all make mistakes, he created himself in the image of us, too late now, nothing doing. Sometimes I think, seriously, that M.Ali had more sense wanting to stay more anonymous as to his appearance, now in trouble, though, as he refuses to show his passport picture. Father Christmas is a dear friend since childhood, (not as well dressed as the pope but with better transportation and gifts not bills), but the Tooth Fairy is a damned disappointment as he has taketh more than he has giveth lately.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Toby Murcott

Misunderstanding Peer Review

You write:

"Meanwhile the scientific community has also endorsed Luo and his colleagues' general gist, as the boffins' paper (pdf) outlining the role of clay in the appearance of life is published tomorrow in the peer-reviewed journal Scientific Reports."

Nope. The fact that it is appearing in a peer review journal means that two or possibly three referees, and the journal editor, think the work is of such merit as to be published. This is a long way from endorsement by the scientific community. That will only come after the research has been scrutinised much more widely. Publication in a peer review journal is the first step towards wider endorsement but it is a big mistake to assume the former means the latter.

1. ian 22

Re: Misunderstanding Peer Review

Sadly, "peer-reviewed" may have little meaning. Some research is so expensive or time-consuming that a reviewer can do little but check the sums. A recent study found more than 50% of peer-reviewed articles (and I can't be arsed to find a link to the study) are utter bollocks, a product of the "publish or perish" system currently in place.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ian 22

Yes, but who peer reviews the study to which you refer? On that basis, this study is over 50% likely to be bollocks itself, which means that the odds are in favour of its being wrong.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

2. Don Jefe

Yep. And more precisely, that your methodologies are solid and could have produced the results you state. Peer review does not mean that the jury upholds or falsifies your findings,or replicates your experiment or 'checks your work' that's for other scientists to do.

The poor understanding of the scientific process is directly responsible for so many stupid headlines and policy decisions. It's just awful really. Nobody in the scientific community views peer review as validation, that's not what it's for. More than anything it's so that other scientists don't have to waste their time double checking basic methodologies before building on (or refuting) the findings.

A ~decent analogy is that of a materials standard: If I'm buying 50 tons of T6 then the methods used to determine that the T6 is in fact T6 are valid, and if they are followed will result in the T6 acting like I expect. I don't have to go to Australia and do analysis of the ore itself.

Because a journal, any journal, publishes a study that absolutely does not end the science. That's only the beginning.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the big deal?

Everyone should know that God uses science the create His magic. Man is just beginning to learn about and manipulate DNA. Who's to say that there isn't a higher being that already knows everything about life. God must be humored by all the speculation and lack there of.

9. T. F. M. Reader

Only Catholicism has scientific foundation... Only in England...

<<The Hebrew word translated here as "dust" can also mean "clay">>

Sorry, but no, it cannot. The Hebrew word is עפר, which means dust (also as "remains", in the "dust to dust" sense that is obvious in the context), dirt, soil, or earth, but I am not aware of any "clay" meaning ("clay" in different contexts is represented in Hebrew as טיט, חומר, חרס). "Clay" seems to me lost - or, rather, acquired - in translation.

I don't know how much one can blame the later influence of the Prometheus myth. Though the latter pre-dates the first translation of the Old Testament into Greek, Septuagint, by several centuries, the Septuagint (made by Jews) also says "dust".

I checked the English version of the Jerusalem Bible and the King James's version - both say "dust", not "clay".

As for the Quran, it offers different hypotheses in different places, and makes some attempts to reconcile them by suggesting they occurred in stages, etc.

Thus the newest scientific hypothesis agrees only with the *English* Catholic Bible (e.g., the Italian text says "polvere" and the French one - "poussiere", both words emphatically - strongly suggesting small particles rather than an amorphous substance - mean "dust", not "clay") - the only one I found that uses "clay".

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Only Catholicism has scientific foundation... Only in England...

Clay is just wet dust, though.

1. Eddy Ito

Dust is too big to be clay even when wet.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Clay is just wet dust, though.

No, it isn't. Clays are quite distinct from the stone particulates we call sand. You can pulverise granite or silica as much as you like and dampen it, and never get clay.

The Wikipedia article is quite misleading at a casual read as it goes on about particle size, without mentioning simply and clearly that clays are hydrated compounds of silicon and alkali or alkaline earth metals. This is important because a key concept in the idea of life beginning on clay substrates is the role of the hydrogen bonds of the hydroxy groups.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: No, it isn't

The ceramics room at my school was always covered in a layer of orange dust. It must have been the clay, as I don't remember my teacher being an eczema-afflicted, TOWIE reject.

2. wollo

dreidel dreidel dreidel I made it out of dust?

10. misterandres

The overreacting atheist :-)

I really prefer to never throw a bone to the religious fanatic. The title of this article exudes sarcasm but they won't care, they will use it to feed their agenda anyway. Monikers like "God particle" serve that purpose to those guys.

11. wollo

broken china

Qin Shi Huang must have bricked his terracotta army.

12. David Pollard

Not this first time for this notion

A few years ago Jack Szostak and his team at Massachusetts General Hospital had looked at how montmorillonite can catalyse the assembly of RNA and aid the growth of vesicles. Before that, in the 1960s, Graham Cairns-Smith at Glasgow had suggested that clay beds might act as something like an assembly line, making increasingly complex chemicals. Fascinating stuff...

13. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I must replay "The Neverhood"

14. Frumious Bandersnatch

So

I can haz golem now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So

Only if you can persuade T. F. M. Reader (above) to tell you the proper words to write on its forehead.

1. T. F. M. Reader
        Coat

Re: So

אמת (truth) would be appropriate and consistent with most Eastern European traditions. It is also a safe design - being a Reg reader you will appreciate the built-in "stop button": erase the first letter (א) with a wet cloth or whatever works on clay and you get מת (dead) - the usual way to "deactivate" a golem.

No need to thank me - I'll get my coat before you start QA.

15. Johnny Canuck

I'd think life would be more likely to evolve around underwater thermal vents, given that there are organisms there that exist on chemicals in the water, don't need light etc. Wouldn't that environment more closely approximate the early earth?

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

@Canuck

Yes, I thought that was the fashionable hypothesis.

But the book by Cairns-Smith, 'Genetic Takeover' is a fascinating read. He is/was a chemist who knows the practicalities of organic chemistry. His book is in three parts.

Part 1 demolishes the old 'organic soup' hypothesis with two major points. First, organic chemistry will lead to a filthy tarry mess unless things are well controlled. Secondly, in an early ocean things would have been far too dilute for anything to happen.

Part 2 is the clay hypothesis. 'Mud is fascinating stuff', he writes at one point. Yes, if you are into the subtleties of silicate chemistry.

Part 3 notes there seems to be hierarchy of organic compounds. Some, e.g. acetic acid, can form almost anywhere, but the more complicated amino acids must be manufactured carefully.

It is not difficult to replace part 2 with the idea that superheated water deep in the earth's crust, where silica dissolves like sugar, might have seen some interesting developments. It is a fairly steady environment with a gentle flow of energy from a slowly cooling planet. Then things moved nearer the surface, and into the bottom of the oceans; but there may still be relics deep down.

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

A theory that has been around 20-30 years.

It's great it's now been confirmed.

17. Erik N.
    WTF?

The Quran agrees?!? Well of course it does. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all Abrahmaic religions. The texts are all evolved from the same source Torah -> Bible -> Quran.

Now tell me that the Vedas agrees and I might raise an eyebrow.

18. willi0000000

HAH!

life could not have formed with the help of clay.

[i know because i am older than dirt, though not quite as old as rocks]

19. Longrifle
    Alert

Bibliography

So, when was this part of the Bible written and by whom, roughly in the form we recognize today as Genesis/Old Testament? Supposedly by Hebrews around Daniel's time (yes, Shadrach, Meshach, & Abednego) during their Babylon captivity. This was at least a couple thousand years after man was formed from dust per Genesis. However, they did not have access to today's wonderful geoscientific knowledge that has been gained at the expense of from pretty smart people down thru the ages. Hmm lemme see, earliest life forms that left behind any trace was basically blue-green algae at about 3.8 billiion years ago (BYA). This was only 900 million years or so after Earth's formation at about 4.7BYA. That's not a very long time for the rock and water cycles to team up to form clay, which is a byproduct from weathering granite. Plus the algae was floating on the ocean's surface, which is a long ways from most typical dust/clay environments. But the Hebrews who wrote Genesis didn't know any of this, or have it revealed to them, so they just went with the verbal history version of things that was handed down to them. Bottom line: Bible is poetry, not Science, and Science is a tech/how-to manual, not meant for religious/spiritual guidance.

1. TheRealRoland

Re: Bibliography

gotta listen to the Beastie Boys again...

*hums 'three emcees and we're on the go'

20. NomNomNom

LIES ITS ALL LIES. CLAY IS BULLSHIT ... MAN WAS MADE FROM PASTA IN HIS IMAGE. BULLSHIT CLAY HERETICS WILL BOIL IN HIS NOODLY POT!! FOUR CORNERS EQUALS FOUR DAYS

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

I CALL HERESY! FOUR CORNERS??? THE POT IS ROUND!

21. phil dude
    Pint

no citation...

I read the article and nothing religious was cited. Why the bible labelled media fanfare...? I mean, stopped clocks are correct twice a day....

This is a nice experiment. I would be very impressed if an alternative chemical mechanism for molecular reproduction could be constructed that used different molecules....!

Beer, because that is where life starts...;-)

P.

22. Zot

The Bible is ALL about allegory...

...science has no such category. Well it tries not to have, but in some cases the loony scientist get let out by mistake.

23. Dickturnip

Therefore...

Aliens!

24. chris lively

Yet another article written by someone who failed to even do basic research on the content. As has been pointed out: the research highlighted isn't new. Just a case of another moron "scientist" claiming to discover something that others have already published.

Meanwhile The article writer ( note that I purposely don't use the term journalist ) mischaracterizes major religious texts by claiming they say something they clearly don't.

Please do the world a favor and stop writing articles until you can figure out what "check your facts" means.

25. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Tony Hart was right all along!

Morph

1. Zot

Re: Tony Hart was right all along!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1961548517/all-new-adventures-of-morph-from-aardman-animation

He's back!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tony Hart was right all along!

I spotted Tony Hart outside Waitrose in Godalming a number of years ago. I wanted to thank him for his TV programmes (Vision On) that inspired me all those years ago. Unfortunately, I was too star struck to do it. Now that he is gone, I wish I had. Top geezer, Tony Hart.

26. Crisp

Highly developed organisms such as Register readers?

[Citation Needed]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Highly developed organisms such as Register readers?

You have the 'silver badge' so you're more qualified than most to write it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Highly developed organisms such as Register readers?

A silver badge is a sign of persistence, not competence.

This topic is closed for new posts.