back to article Planet hopper: The Earthly destinations of Doctor Who

The Doctor has often stated that the Earth is quite his favourite planet, and it’s by far his most frequent destination. Yet judging by his televised adventures, he has seen surprisingly little of it. He has barely visited a tenth of all the countries of the world, and the vast majority of his escapades have taken place in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

42!!!!

Right in the centre of London!

Coincidence??

1. M7S

Re: 42!!!! - Well, for a given value of Earth

It depends, do you think they included Ravalox? That turned out not only to be Earth (stupidly "hidden" by being moved less than the distance to our next nearest star, D'oh) but when he looked around there was even the remains of a tube station when he went looking around, so I think that should be counted as well.

2. John Gamble

O Canada

All this time and not one visit to Canada?

Even as an American, I find that suspicious. At the very least there ought to be a Cyberman or two roaming Saskatchewan.

1. Code Monkey

Re: O Canada

They had that big ruckus at Canary Wharf - aka One Canada Square. Will that do you, eh?

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Canada got to borrow The New Avengers from the U.K., apparently by co-producing and co-funding their show. Mmm... Joanna Yumley.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The New Avengers

currently being reshown on (I think) ITV4

Mmm... Joanna Yumley

You might think so, I couldn't possibly comment

2. DaneB
        Mushroom

Wrinkly, yuck.

3. Simon Harris

Definitely in need of keys on the map this time

As I can't think which stories correspond to some of the countries highlighted.

Although, I guess if there were, nobody would buy the book!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't forget Pompey and the Solent forts for the 'sea devils' episodes - perhaps the only episodes filmed at sea?

BTW, here is me with Jon Pertwee 'stabbing me' in Pompey around 1972/73:

http://www.linicks.net/medrwho.jpg

5. pica

He's missed a whole continent.

I mean if your going to miss a continent I would have thought it would be Antarctica not south America.

I would have thought there was at least something nasty going on in the Amazon.

6. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Diggin' the dirt

And what percentage of those visits have mysteriously also been in quarries?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?

Sarah Jane was dropped off in Aberdeen???? I watched them all recently and remember thinking it might have been at the time, but thought nah, don't be daft. Must check again and see if I can pin it down to a street!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hand_of_Fear

So like, was it actually filmed in Aberdeen, or did they just say it was where she was dropped off in the new ones? I mean for the purposes of location in the series then fine but it's not the same. I mean I'm guessing they didn't actually film things in Mexico/Antarctica/Austrialia etc.

That's less exciting (for someone from Aberdeen), but still, great article :)

1. Vulch

Re: Hmm

Sarah Jane mentioned it to the David Tennant incarnation when they met up in "School Reunion". Her last words at the end of "The Hand of Fear" had been something like "I bet it's not even Croydon".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm

Checked it out, it certainly could be Aberdeen. No granite in sight but everything's the right shade of grey :)

As a claim to fame, we'll take it!

9. Tim Jenkins

"with a more recent increase in trips to Wales"

Llanfairfach, 1973, "The Green Death"

Jon Pertwee, the Brigadier, Giant Maggots...

First episode to actually scare me sh*tless (or so I'm told; I was only 4 at the time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Death

10. Dave Bell

How Much Does It Matter

I am assured, on the best authority, that no episode has ever been filmed on another planet.

1. Rob 5

Re: How Much Does It Matter

Not even in the top secret studio on Mars, where they faked the Moon landings?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apollo's 11,12,14,15,16 and 17 was. Also a few Mars probes (still on going).

Oh, you meant Dr Who...

3. Suricou Raven

Planet, no... but there is one episode of the revived series which uses a small amount of footage shot on the moon.

11. Petrea Mitchell
    Boffin

Closing scene of "The Hand of Fear"

IIRC, Sarah Jane's remarks in that scene made it pretty clear at the time that it wasn't Croydon. (Though the information about exactly where it was did come much later.)

12. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Lincolnshire in "The North"???? Since when?

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

well it's north of where the Brigadier thought he was in the Three Doctors....

2. Shrimpling

Its all down to perspective... I was going to complain about Leicestershire being included in the South!

3. DJ 2

Re Lincolnshire in "The North"????

"The North" used to be any place more north than watford gap service station on the M1.

Friends now tell me it means any place north of the M25.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China 3?

So we are taking the Chinese view on Tibet? (Abominable Snowmen is set in the 1930s which I thought was pre-takeover)

This topic is closed for new posts.