back to article Microsoft CEO shortlist down to EIGHT ... appropriately enough, perhaps

Microsoft's search committee has reportedly drawn up a shortlist of eight candidates to replace Steve Ballmer. Reuters reports the list includes three internal candidates: prodigal returner Stephen Elop, former Skype leader Tony Bates and cloud and enterprise supremo Satya Nadella. The one outsider Reuters mentions as having …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They need someone passionate about technology, not some stuffy middle-aged management type.

1. Getriebe

"They need someone passionate about technology, not some stuffy middle-aged management type"

Why?

What are the reasons for this?

As a stuffy old middling manager I want to know your dislikes.

At the moment I reckon they need a Jack Welch character to come in and sort out the internecine warfare and layers of management. Then IMHO they would be able to see what their assets are

2. Oh Homer
    Paris Hilton

Fiver says it'll be Eflop

Because his track record at Nokia fits Microsoft's arrogant, out-of-touch, self-destructive mentality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fiver says it'll be Eflop

I agree. Elop did an excellent job at Nokia.

Not for the customers, not for the employees, not for Finland and not for many of the shareholders.

He did an excellent job for the Nokia shareholders who also had MS holdings; which is why they had him brought in.

They are very happy with him, and you can bet that makes the board happy with him too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And a tenner says they will chop the entertainment and devices division, including the unprofitable Xbox.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So Surface is making a profit? HA HA HA HA HA!

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I think it unlikely there will be any radical shake-up of Microsoft unless Gates goes too.

4. Martin H Watson

Prodigal means wasteful, not one who returns. Or was he both?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Options:

Tech shake up option: Marissa Meyer.

IT Crowd option: Woz.

Hell has frozen over option: RMS.

Groundhog Day option: Gates.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Options:

RMS?

Also, my money's on Eadon.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For the downvoter's information, the Eadon reference was a joke.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Heh, I'd put RMS (Richard M Stallman for you non-GNU followers) in the "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" category.

6. Tom 7

Do what they seem to teach you to do in business school

Get someone who knows fuck all about what they are to manage.

7. Richie 1
    Coat

My prediction

I bet Richard Ayoade is on the list.

8. Forget It

CEO 8.1 -

painful download and installation

less touchy feely

more business sense?

9. Iain Griffiths
    Happy

Alan Mulally ? Wow, good to see cricketers get on after they retire.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/17121.html

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interview panel

So can the board discuss the candidates we've had so far....

Now, which one was the Vista manager? Oh yes, he took ages to turn up to the interview, looked flashy but was incompetent.

I quite like the XP manager - been around for years, everyone quite likes him now, but he does seem to be constantly in trouble with security.

The ME manager only turned up for the free coffee and left a trail of destruction. Nobody remembers what he even looks like now.

The NT manager is not flashy, had some great ideas in his day and just gets on with the job...but he's so old and dull - can we say that?

That 95 chap was OK, a step forward from the previous fellow, but pretty much the same when you got under the skin really.

And finally the 3.1 manager. Hmm. Garish looking, not entirely all there if you ask me, very basic. What's his name Ballmer?

11. The Godfather
    Mushroom

'hard' leader needed for this 'soft' business

Microsoft does not have five years....it needs to change things within two. re-shaping and splitting it up will provide more focus and so will doing most of its business direct. They have started this process and need to accelerate it.

Microsoft should have recognized its vulnerabilities given the entrance of new major players at least three years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'hard' leader needed for this 'soft' business

"Microsoft does not have five years"

I certainly hope that's the case.

12. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

If it isn't Nadella, it is a slap in the face of their entire customer base. He's the only candidate who will deliver what people want to buy, not what Microsoft feels it can blackmail people into giving up more than they can afford for.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like