back to article Lavabit bloke passes hat for open-source secure email master plan

Ladar Levison, the former operator of the Lavabit secure email service that was once used by NSA leaker Edward Snowden, has launched a Kickstarter project to raise funds to release the site's code as an open source project. Levison shut down Lavabit in August, and while court orders forbid him from discussing details of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

Hmmm....

and out of the 100+ lavabit clone services, how many will be operated by the NSA? (undercover, obviously)

1. Mephistro
      Thumb Up

Re: Hmmm....

If it allows us to install our own private lavabit-type mail servers, the NSA will have a hard time hacking them all. :0)

Thumbs up for Mr. Levinson and the rest of the Dark Mail Alliance.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder why they defined Linux and not Unix?

3. Schultz

Thumbs up (and wallet out)

I hope they make it easy enough so a noob like me can run his own secure email.

1. nanchatte
      Megaphone

Re: Noob

The majority of leaks from systems using encryption are down to a user failure at the implementation stage.

Have you ever heard the phrase "a little knowledge is dangerous?"

4. MrPrivacy

While awaiting a Dark Mail service, try ThreadThat, a free end-to-end encryption service for sharing your most sensitive electronic secrets.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

You mean the American company that wants us to store "secure" data on their American cloud?

A-hahahahahahahaha.

Sell me the software to run on my own servers, away from American hands. Then we'll talk. "American" and "secure" are oxymorons.

5. Neoc

$196,608

I don't suppose the man was born in August 1966?

It was also the month when US citizens demonstrated against war in Vietnam. Make of that what you will.

1. Soruk

Re: $196,608

It's also exactly 192K.

6. Robert Grant

Transparent encryption to disk?

Why isn't it encrypted before that? Or is this an additional encryption of everything, headers etc as well?

Also, if it's encrypted at the mail daemon, where are the certs stored to do encrypt/decrypt? Presumably not on the server the daemon is on?

Someone please explain, I feel like I know enough to ask questions, but not enough to know if they're stupid ones :)

7. huy3908

Better and current solution is ofshore VPN plus email from sources like unspyable

8. Nearly Anonymous
    Headmaster

hexadecimal?

The hexadecimal equivalent is "c00". Still doesn't ring a bell for me.

1. Nearly Anonymous

Re: hexadecimal?

Actually, previously I was converting your binary to hex, but the binary was wrong.

196608 == 192k

192k == 0011 0000 0000 0000 0000 == 0x30000

9. Ian 55

'Including fees'

What's the target amount after you take away KS's cut?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great for whom?

Terrorists? Paedophiles?

The problem isn't government email snooping with the sole objective of catching those guys, I'm in favour of that. You're not? Why not?

The problem is with inappropriate snooping of unlimited scope. I doubt that Angela Merkel presents a terrorism/paedo risk. On the other hand if NSA can snoop her then she should be even more concerned that a (more) hostile power could be doing so too.

11. Brian Miller

Read the Ars Technica article about Lavabit's technology

Op-ed: Lavabit’s primary security claim wasn’t actually true

This actually wasn't a very secure system. I'll take a pass on Lavabit's bits.

This topic is closed for new posts.