back to article Forget 'Call of Duty: Ghosts' - how does its rival from EA stack up?

To borrow from football parlance, Battlefield 4 is your proverbial game of two halves. There’s the dry single-player campaign that, for all its bluster, offers few new ideas. Then there’s the juicy multiplayer version that will pull you in and devour your life. Battlefield 4 Squad manoeuvres My usual approach to writing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul J Turner

top-spec PC

Check!

1. MondoMan
      Meh

Re: top-spec PC

It would have been nice to know what level video card makes for a "top-spec PC" in this case.

1. Greg D

Using even the smallest ounce of common sense, I'd say anything above £250. From a reputable supplier of course, and not eBay or PC World.

If you're asking that sort of question, you really need to learn more about PC hardware :)

1. Miek

System Specifications for Battlefield 4 here :

I'm playing with an i5 2500K, a GTX660 and 8GB of 1200Mhz RAM

http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-system-requirements/

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Here you go, Tom's cahrt of average frame rates for Battlefield 4 across a range of popular graphics cards:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,review-32818-6.html

2. Simon Westerby 1

"Radeon 7000 series" .... me thinks they mean "Radeon HD 7000 series"

Not sure you can get a "Radeon 7000 series" with more than 128MB ram ... and 64 was the usual...

;)

2. MondoMan
          Happy

As you likely know, there's been a bit of a performance plateau in graphics cards over the past few years, at least on the AMD side, with new cards populating similar performance levels to the earlier cards, although at lower prices. For example, the HD5970 is still an upper-tier card almost 4 years after its release, while the over-2-year-old HD6990 matches the performance of the current R9 280X (which uses a year-old GPU).

It'd be nice to know what suffices for a 1080p screen, and what you'd need to run a 3-monitor wide setup instead.

Looking forward to your class, GD!

(That's a Watchmen smiley, son)

M & D126 FTW!

1. Greg D

That sounded a lot nastier written down than it did in my head! I meant no offense!

1. Fiddler on the roof

I7 2700K, 16GB of 1600mhz Ram, GTX 580 on a 27 inch HD monitor and its great to look at and runs smootlhy. Havent tested how many FPS im getting, willl have too wait for a boring day to bother :). The game is very good BTW, I always think BF trumps CoD and have no doubt this will be the case this time as well. Although I cant wait to play online as a dog, chewing up some 14 year old internet ninjas should cause some friction!

2. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Why wait for the next-gen...

...start playing on current gen and then upgrade for the 10 monetary units once you get the next gen device. That way you get to have fun all along.

3. Phil W

console vs PC

"Why not get the superior experience that the PS4, Xbox One or a top-spec PC will most certainly provide?"

Why not? Simple really, playing an FPS game with a controller pad instead of a keyboard and mouse is rather like having sex while wearing 3 duffle coats. Clumsy, unnatural and imprecise.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: console vs PC

Clumsy, unnatural and imprecise is a good description of me trying to play a fps with a keyboard and mouse.

1. Greg D

How? Just how?!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As a long time FPS player on PC, I thought the same thing about switching to a console.

It was a jump at first, but you find it's more natural to control movement and aim with the thumb sticks than one hand on asdw and one on the mouse. You also find you get fast at weapon swapping and all the other things I know I developed shortcuts for in my previous PC gaming life. I still play PC games, just not graphics intensive ones.

7 years later and I'm still playing and enjoying xbox 360 FPS and I haven't had to upgrade my video card every year to keep up. Still deciding between PS 4 and xbox one - neither of them can play my current xbox games so I don't really care which.

1. Duffy Moon

Thanks to consoles holding back graphics development, the annual graphics card update to play new games hasn't been necessary for several years.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Okay, okay, Mouse + Keyboard give you more fine control, we get it already.

However, people can and do have fun playing first person shooter games with their mates in the living room on consoles, playing against people on-line with identical controllers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oculus Rift support?

5. r4gg3h
    Facepalm

If it's broke, don't fix it...

Which is why many of the bugs in the Beta have made it though to the final release. Incredible ones like pressing "B" twice will cause the developer console to open. A hard-coded, unchangeable bind.

A lot of peoples control systems have been hampered by silly little annoyances such as this. It's hardly Sim City all over again but I don't know why developers/publishers cause themselves this kind of grief on release.

6. codejunky Silver badge

I only play PC games for many reasons (my only consoles are old). I bought BF3 which is a thoroughly enjoyable game, that was much better when I started. I dont buy games new because I wont part with so much money for something I dont know if I will enjoy. So I waited a while for BF3 and had a go on my friends machine before stumping up the cash.

I enjoyed the game for a while but there seem to be a lot of updates and the game started to get laggy. Now whenever I get on a server I occasionally suffer a slide show or watch the impossible happen in many strange ways. More recently I crash out of the game after a while with little explanation.

I can believe it is a good game but I wont bother buying it. I expect it will suffer the same problems and my moderate/good hardware probably wont run it anyway.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

This review of BF4 suggests that bugs are just a part of the Battlefield games:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/battlefield-4-the-brutal-broken-beautiful-pinnacle-of-first-person-shooters/2/

7. Brian Souder 1

Got Tired Of Them Beta Testing In Their Releases

I was a fan of the Battlefield series from 1942 all the way up to BF2. Then every time a patch came out they kept breaking stuff until the game became unplayable. I tried 2142, and they continued the Beta in the patch approach and that was the last game I ever bought from them. BF2 used to be a great game. I would have loved to have seen a revisit to WW2 stuff, but they dropped the ball on that. Good thing there are a lot of alternatives available on Steam.

8. asdf

> the devastating splash damage from their shells (tanks) making a mockery of supposed cover.

So realistic then. Funny how a bush or a six inch thick stone wall isn't much cover when a real tank has you zeroed in.

9. MrDamage Silver badge

System Requirements

Top End PC: Check

Willingness to allow that bloated shitstorm called Origin onto my PC: Fuck off.

1. Fiddler on the roof

Re: System Requirements

yeah Origin, STEAM and whatever the other one is called are annoying peices of shiit apprently designed to make me shout "get my permission before you update you &£$ker"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like