back to article Another 5 years on Nokia's patent CHAIN GANG for Samsung

Nokia has announced that it has gotten Samsung to sign an extension on their patent licensing agreement for another five years, although neither of them is sure how much Sammy will be paying yet. The Finnish firm has taken to its new life as a patent company with gusto, pursuing litigation with those that won't pay up with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"investing in innovation"

How are they going to innovate in the mobile area now all of the staff are gone? (either to MS or others)

Sadly the language has all the hallmarks of a patent troll.

2. jaduncan
    Thumb Down

Actively managing their patent portfolio.

How the mighty are fallen.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From a leading provider to a spiteful little patent troll, Nokia is fast becoming the next SCO.

1. dogged

Are you suggesting that Nokia's patents are of the fatuous "rounded corners" style, AC?

Do you suggest that Nokia did in fact not do the R&D necessary for much of modern cellular telephony?

Or is it simply that they are collecting a license fee from Samsung and have a connection to Microsoft that's got your ringpiece itchy?

4. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Actively massaging their patent portfolio.

In the hope that it'll grow. With few R+D types? Nah.

Reminded me instantly of the old joke, about a very expensive wallet made from foreskins. "But, Sir, if you massage it, it turns into a suitcase!"

Patent troll, indeed. Hope this won't become an SCO remake...

1. woot21

Re: Actively massaging their patent portfolio.

Yes, Nokia sold their phone business but kept their patents. That could look like the birth of a patent troll.

But I think you forget that Nokia will still owns a few "small" divisions like Navteq, one of the largest suppliers of map data and "Nokia Solutions and Networks" which happens to be the 4th largest supplier of telecoms equipment manufacturer (according to Wikipedia).

My guess is, that Nokia Solutions and Networks will still be quite involved in R&D work on telecommunication. Just a guess ;-)

5. James 51

So they are getting money for old rope, but where is the new rope going to come from?

1. gerryg

easy

Jolla, latest news here

1. James 51

Re: easy

My irony meter would probably explode if Nokia bought Jolla.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Never head of it before which probably says a lot for it's lack of prospects.

The UI looks crappy - rather like Android....

1. Roland6 Silver badge
          Happy

>The UI looks crappy - rather like Android....

But didn't Android copy the iOS interface?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Cubical Drone

WOW!!

Never actually seen a troll being born before...fascinating!

7. Keep Refrigerated

How long?

How much life has the youngest patent that Nokia got on it's books? 10, 15 years? That's how long before Nokia's name becomes all but history... if the company troll even lasts that long.

8. Bladeforce

LMFAO that last line...

stinks of patent troll!

9. Anony-mouse
    WTF?

SCO or Rambus?

I still haven't made up my mind whether they are trying to remake themselves into a company such as SCO or a company such as Rambus. But given the amount of people they have let loose, I think it's more towards the SCO side. At least Rambus has some actual people working for them trying to invent stuff. But either way, both max out the TROLL-O-METER!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like