back to article Google Street View goes INSIDE a Royal Navy submarine

Retired British submarine HMS Ocelot has become the first submersible to be fully featured on Google's Street View. The decommissioned British sub can now be toured using Google Maps, although The Register has learned the Chocolate Factory did not manage to squeeze the infamous Street View car into the boat. Instead, it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

How do you tittilate an ocelot?

Oscillate her...

2. nobody from nowhere.

Upholder class

The Upholder Class.

Now there is a story of military procurement that really does say waste of money in capital ships...

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Upholder class

Not seen today's news then?

1. JetSetJim

I imagine Lewis is eagerly tapping away at an article as we type. The BBC has a write up, though

2. SkippyBing

I was talking to someone recently who was of the opinion that as we've failed to procure major military projects to time or cost since the days of Samuel Pepys* it might be an idea to accept this failing and allow for it at the start of the contract, rather than continuing to be astounded by a level of incompetence** that's been ongoing for several hundred years.

*It's apparently mentioned in his diaries.

**By all parties involved.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They do allow for it at the start of contracts, but then the whole point of military creative accounting is to create more things to spend money on during the life of the contract. No matter how much contingency you build in, it will still overrun by a factor 1 << X <= GNP * life of contract.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. JetSetJim
    Joke

Disappointed

The SV camera does not allow for exit via the launch tubes.

1. Gareth Wright
      Pirate

Re: Disappointed

Lol, you may joke but we did ask!

No-one spotted the Mini RC Sub from The World is not Enough yet? ;P

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> Although he is bound by Google's non-disclosure agreements

So what's in those NDA's? Sergei's arse size?

5. graeme leggett Silver badge

Alternatively

Go to Gosport and the RN Submarine Museum there where you can walk through HMS Alliance and the Holland 1, and get a better feel for what it would be like on a British sub than via your monitor

1. NoOnions
      Go

Re: Alternatively

Or go to Chatham Historic dockyard and the actual HMS Ocelot!

1. Gareth Wright
        Thumb Up

Highly recommended, there's no substitute for actually going on board, though she's more cramped than she looks on the tour, also ladies not a good visit to make in a skirt!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

As a claustrophobic, can I just remark that SV is the nearest I ever want to come to the inside of a submarine? I'd rather go up rigging in a gale than tour a submarine in dry dock.

Could I also draw your attention to your inadvertent sexism? Your warning could equally apply to a proposed tour by the Northern arm of the Culloden Re-enactment Society.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Well it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick for those of us that won't be able to make it across the pond.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've toured the USS Drum

One of the things that you won't get from a virtual tour is the smell of machine oil. Another is claustrophobia.

1. Gareth Wright

Re: I've toured the USS Drum

Cramped with just the camera gear and 3 people, but did get a little claustrophobic when the group of 20 on a tour came through.

I can't begin to imagine what that would be like with a full crew compliment of 84 :/

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Try a VIIC

1. gazthejourno

I would absolutely love to have a poke around U-995. The only surviving WW2 vintage Type VIIC U-boat, of the class that fought the Battle of the Atlantic for the bulk of the war.

Note to self, must remind our scribe to make this into a picture feature next time round!

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

I went through a German WW2 U-boat a few years back(It's on an island near Helsinki). Even modified to allow tourist access it's incredibly claustrophobic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A former colleague took the surrender of a U-boat towards the end of WW2 (the crew apparently shot the commander first). He commented that he had never seen men so anxious to get off a boat that wasn't sinking at the time, and went he went on board and smelled the interior, he immediately understood why. Diesel and puke is not a good combination.

7. andy gibson

urbex targets

Decommissioned subs and ships are a popular target for the urbexers, here's a link to one of several reports:

http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6619

Click on "military sites" for more.

8. Richard 81

My little brother farted on that submarine once.

A good laugh was had by all.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

Alas...

I was not able to street-view to the area that promised virtual tours...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like