back to article Lenovo stands up rinky-dinky new Yoga tablet

Lenovo is extending its foldable laptop-cum-tablet Yoga line with an even more flexible model. The Chinese computer giant claims this one sports three usage modes to its predecessors’ two, but we think that’s, er, stretching the point. Past Yoga devices could sit on your knees or a desk as a laptop or, with the display folded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank Bough

they really have nothing

beyond copying Apple's designs, have they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: they really have nothing

... Is exactly what in ignorant person would say. Thanks for the example.

This looks nothing like any iDevice.

1. Frank Bough

Side profile is pretty much identical to an Apple wireless keyboard / magic pad

1. Robert E A Harvey

>Side profile is pretty much identical to an Apple wireless keyboard / magic pad

It's been while since someone invented a new topographic form that hasn't been seen before.

you might just as well say that the Psion had a round bulge at the hinge and so has this...

2. Dave K

Show me an Apple product with a design like that.

Thought not.

On the other hand, a Lenovo device with a 16:10 display! All they need to do now is buy a few more and pop them into some laptops. Then they'll have a product I'll actually want to buy...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

@Dave K

>Show me an Apple product with a design like that.

Here you go!

http://images.apple.com/keyboard/images/hero_1.jpg

They do look very similar, albeit from just one specific angle. The placement of a power button at the end of a cylinder probably didn't originate with Apple though... some older Sony VAIO laptops had a similar design (though the power button was green). Like this Lenovo Yoga, the VAIOs used a cylinder since it was a part of a hinge mechanism (whereas the cylinder shape on the Apple wireless keyboard comes from the shape of the AA batteries it contains):

http://www.pocketables.com/images/2008/09/22/sony_vaiotz.jpg

However, Mr Bough is incorrect to say that Lenovo have nothing beyond copying Apple... The original Lenovo Yoga looks to be a good design, simpler and more sensible than some other laptop/tablet hybrid designs. That is not their only interesting laptop... the beastly Lenovo W700ds mmobile workstation with two screens is unlike anything Apple have ever made:

http://www.pclaunches.com/entry_images/1208/23/lenovo_thinkpad-W700ds-thumb-450x353.jpg

2. Frank Bough

http://images.apple.com/euro/keyboard/images/hero_1.jpg

3. Amraj

"Show me an Apple product with a design like that.

Thought not."

Looks an AWFUL lot like Apples wireless keyboard and "Magic" trackpad design.

If this thing comes with Windows 8 I shall be happily purchasing it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Frank Bough, are you on drugs or something?

4. TWB

If that's a gag it's a little too subtle.

If you mean it, then I cannot help you.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

"If that's a gag it's a little too subtle."

I've been charitable (it's a sunny day here) and assumed it was indeed a gag. If it wasn't then one should probably be employed.

1. TWB

Actually I realise what he means now I think about it - the magic trackpad and apple keyboards are kinda similar in shape....(so apols for earlier - not sure why I missed it...)

2. ISP

At the risk of explaining the joke (if that's how it was intended) I think this is what the OP had in mind...

http://www.apple.com/uk/keyboard/

It was what I first thought of when i saw the first picture too.

3. Manas Straw

Well played, professor! Well Played indeed!

5. Michael Thibault
      Trollface

Fandroids have unusual concentrations of fast-twitch muscles between their eyes and the back of their head, actually.

6. Chris 171

Looks more like a Sony Tablet S than an i thing.

Handy flap on the Yoga it is.

7. dave 93

I thought it was a new apple wireless trackpad - http://images.apple.com/magictrackpad/images/hero_1.png

2. James Cooke

Nice price and from the renders at least they look good, shame that I bet they're plastic rather than metal bodies.

1. Vector
      Thumb Down

"Nice price and from the renders at least they look good, shame that I bet they're plastic rather than metal bodies."

Sorry, but you can get a tablet with the same guts as these (1280x800 screen, MediaTek Cortex-A7 class SoC) for a third of the price. IIRC, there is a bit of aluminum in the body, but nowhere near enough to justify these prices.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/hands-on-with-the-lenovo-yoga-tablet-a-lopsided-design-and-18-hour-runtime/

This thing (and many of the cheap, landfill Android devices) are diluting the Android "brand". The oS has great potential, too bad there are so many crappy devices running it.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      FAIL

Idiot

Android is an operating system. A piece of software. It does not have a brand, whatever the hell one of those is.

GJC

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Idiot

AC was probably using the brand as shorthand for the OS's perception amongst both consumers and developers. You can tell he didn't mean for it to be taken literally because he placed quotation marks around it.

The Android logo has been used prominently on some hardware packaging in the past (if only to indicate that it was a 'smartphone' and not a feature phone, or that the device was more than just a portable media player), when it wasn't as well known amongst consumers as it is today. Using a logo in that way is what people usually take to be 'branding', being as it is akin to marking symbols on the rear end of cattle with a hot branding iron.

That said, wasn't there a recent Reg article about a survey that found they general public had a greater awareness of Samsung than they did Android?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thanks Dave, AC did indeed mean that... though you have explained it better.

I really don't get the downvotes. Android has all the potential to be great, but all this crap being released means that I get to hear a lot of "Android sucks" (or "Samsung sucks"), "iPhone is better". When asked why, it invariably turns out that the complaining party has bought an "Android" device of 100 quid and expects the performance of the latest Nexus/S4.

So yes, all these experiments to see what sticks dilute the "brand" (i.e. the Android logo). I know it's an OS, I also know that the average user couldn't care less. AFAICT the little green robot is still prominently in place on a lot of boxes.

1. M Gale

Because all the cheapy stuff that got threw out to see what sticks over the last 33 years or so has really damaged Microsoft.

Except Amstrad probably did more to put a PC in every home than Microsoft ever could. Whups.

2. ramblog
            Facepalm

Not a Re: Idiot

2 weeks back, was in a local mobile store 'showroom-ing'. Two middle aged men walked in: one drew his VLP (obvious PoS from China possibly without an IMEI) and complained to the drone that it "stuck"and stuttered a lot. His friend joined in the argument that this was an expensive phone (12,000 rupees is no small amount here) and kept asking for a replacement.

The store guy admonished the customer that he should perhaps have listened to him while buying as he had warned that 'Samsungs' 'hanged' at times and how it was always better to go for Apple if one wanted performance from one's phone. The flustered customer somehow saw reason in that wisdom: then haggled and finally exchanged for a supposedly unhangable Apple for 24600inr (400USD for the iPhone 4 16GB, NOT even 4 with an s, just plain 4) after taking a hit of about 75% (consumer protection doesn't apply here in India) and went home beaming.

I walked out in pure awe of the Power of white space and myriad pro.

4. Professor Clifton Shallot

And there's more ...

"A thick, cylindrical spine that runs full width ... provides not only a handy haft with which to grasp the tablet but also a stand to raise the tablet’s rear when it’s placed on a desk"

And it also, if I have read correctly, includes a battery to give the thing an 18-hour claimed life which is a very good thing in my book.

5. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Thumb Up

Haft

Excellent use the word. Thank you.

6. Spoonsinger

re "Quite rinky-dinky"

If that means quite pointless consumer crap? - Then yeh!!, (but I suppose there might be a market for it)

7. handle

Past Yogas have more than two modes

As well as laptop and tablet, they have "tent mode" where you stand them up display and keyboard outwards, and also the less convincing "stand mode".

8. Steve Todd

The specs were looking quite interesting

Then they mentioned the screen resolution and the fact that it's powered by a MediaTek SoC. Not an inspiring combination after all.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not bad. Now if they could release that hardware at that price with Windows RT, they'd actually have something that would stand out from the crowd.

1. Al Jones

How come there hasn't been any mention of the Lenovo Miix 2 tablet on the Register? 8" BayTrail tablet with full fat Win8 for $299? Dell and Toshiba have just released similar devices.

10. codeusirae
    Facepalm

Expect to pay dollars or pounds ..

> Expect to pay $249 (or £199 in the UK) for the 8-inch, 16GB, Wi-Fi only model. The entry-level 10-incher will set you back $299 (£249 UK). ®

US$249.00 = GB£155.363, US$299.00 = GB£186.548

1. Darren Barratt

Re: Expect to pay dollars or pounds ..

Welcome to the wonderful world of VAT + a little buffering to offset currency changes. At least they've not gone the £ = $ approach of some other manufacturers .

11. The New Turtle

It *looks* like a really good design let down by budget internals. Pity really. I'm loth to spend several hundred quid on a powerful mobile computing device when I already have several in varying sizes around the home, but if this had a spec that was competitive with the latest Nexus then I'd have been seriously tempted. Shame really, though probably a good thing for my bank balance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like