back to article MEDIC! Google, Oracle, Red Hat docs race to save crippled Healthcare.gov

Techies from Google, Red Hat, Oracle and other unnamed firms have parachuted in to fix the disastrous rollout of the United States' healthcare.gov website. Google and Oracle confirmed on Thursday that staff have been deployed to help fix the healthcare marketplace's ongoing mega-bork, although Google stressed this is not a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Comments are attributed to your handle
    WTF?

"...although Google stressed this is not a company-led initiative."

In other words, Google wants it to be clear that they don't actually care.

Huh?

1. Maverick

"this is not the cock up you are looking for" </SW ref>

2. Katie Saucey
    Big Brother

WTF?

Why didn't the US government just hire one of the "big guys" in tech to begin with? I think facefail.com could have done a better job at this point (hell, they know everything their claimed 10 trillion users already). I kinda got the impression that the whole Obamacare thing might be an important issue for the citizens. Who knows what happened, but since this is Washington D.C, surely there was no favoritism, or kick backs or politics involved..right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF?

The did hire 'one of the big guys'. The problem, well, one of the problems is that, apparently, they're incompetent at anything beyond billing.

I'd like to comment also that it's not an important issue for me. My healthcare costs are going to go up by whatever the penalty is on tax day next year, minus $150, because that's how much I've spent on healthcare this year and I've got both cash receipts for proof.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The should have given it to one vendor to manage the whole thing.

It sounds ideally suited for a .Net stack with Biztalk, but judging from the names mentioned, it isn't - presumably a Java based pile of fail....

1. Comments are attributed to your handle

I'm all for knocking Java (for various reasons), but this one can't be blamed on language choice. Sounds like the dev team was just incompetent.

3. T. F. M. Reader

"check out plans and find out more"

but not join? Just out of curiosity, does it mean that it serves web pages but has a problem with DB transactions when people attempt to sign up, does it crash because it can't even serve up the information, or is the problem in the business logic tier because the available plans are so convoluted?

$500M, eh? Once you do manage to sign up the actual medical care is first rate, I hope.

4. Benjol

Isn't there an enormous data centre coming on line in Utah around now? Maybe they could use that :)

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

To put that $500m in perspective.

With around 600m people that's almost $0.84 per person.

Not really that big an investment.

But keep in mind this is more a portal sites, so lots of data interface to the actual providers of the healthcare (if I'm understanding how PPACA works).

Another perfectly good opportunity for a good backronym lost.

They would have been so much more popular if it was called AlPACA.

Everyone loves alpaca's. They're just so cute.

<sign>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To put that $500m in perspective.

Who has 600 million people? The estimated population of the US is around 320 million. In addition, many states (13) have their own sites to do the health care plans, as they run their own exchanges. Those 13 states are going to be the larger ones by population. For the 37 states where it acts as the exchange, the total population is going to be much lower than 320 million.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Read this, it explains everything

http://www.infoworld.com/t/e-government/it-experts-healthcaregov-still-mess-228409?page=0%2C0

Gosh, having 16 front end servers would be such a waste of money in this half billion plus project! Lets make do with two!

In fairness, given the broken economics here, no number of servers is going to make the ACA work....

1. Peter Simpson 1

Re: Read this, it explains everything

The Mythical Man-Month

Somebody didn't read it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

called in Oracle...

"We need moar Exadata machines!"

8. bailey86

Was this related to the Azure failure?

Seems to be a huge coincidence.

Similar to the Blaster worm and and Northeast power outage of 2003.

9. phil dude
    WTF?

use the phone....

I have commented a few times about trying to signup, and ended up on the phone.

I am still waiting for the "snail mail" telling me my options.

I did some research before this kicked off and the new prices are almost exactly the same as the old prices; in Tennessee that is. (anyone else pitch in with other states?).

What has changed is that if you are "poor" you get a rebate (tax credit) so even if I buy insurance myself without the healthcare exchange, it still applies as it is the law. The websites were SUPPOSED to make it easy!!

Oh and if you hear some FUD about people being kicked off their plans, just remember that the ACA introduced minimum coverage. Many of the plans that are nolonger legal are "disaster" plans, that do nothing for preventative healthcare.

There is no doubt a LOT of utter incompetence here, but the goal of universal health coverage is a good one.

The problem is that politics is so broken (all the rules that hired these jokers), that it makes the mediocre corporations look good.

Anyone else had an experience....?

P.

10. codeusirae
    Facepalm

Who are the contractors for HealthCare.gov?

"The contractors confirmed that when the federal website was tested just days before its Oct. 1 launch, it crashed after just a few hundred people logged on. The decision to launch the site anyway rested solely with CMS"

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57609849/sebelius-blames-contractors-for-healthcare.gov-problems/

"The private contractors .. said the decision to launch the site anyway rested solely with the the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57609140/healthcare.gov-architects-govts-pre-launch-testing-insufficient/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like