back to article BT's new boss reports flat sales and pre-tax profit tumble

BT's freshly installed chief executive Gavin Patterson told the City today that revenue had edged up to £4.49bn, while profit before tax fell 10 per cent to £499m during the company's second quarter. In a cautious-sounding statement, Patterson said that the three months ended 30 September had produced "good results" for BT. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think these figures are right.

BT has about 6 million customers, how can they have 7 million on fibre then?

I also struggle to believe that they have 2 million people signed up to BT Sport. Maybe free to 2 million customers, but unlikely 2 million engaging it.

Some massaging of the facts and figures methinks.

1. Joseph Lord

Just guessing that the 17M homes passed is the number of homes now with fibre available to them. 7M may be the number actually using fibre whether from BT Retail, Plusnet or one of the many other ISPs including Sky, Talktalk and good ones like A&A or Zen.

2. Gareth 7

You are right the figures are wrong

actually it's 4 million if you include those who can get BT sport on Virgin Cable.

2. kmac499

BT continual renaming of products and overly complex website.

Recently a non-techy friend had a major "content malfunction" He missed Ep1 of Downton Abbey, (whatever that is ). This traumatic experience had him revisiting his Televisual equipment options.

He already has Freeview+ Freesat+ BT Broadband but no 'smart' kit.. ( he could've used his PC but he doesn't know how and the screen is too small.)

After a quick bit of googling about I advised him to go with the BT services; but trying to explain it to him and showing him around the website highlighted just how poor BT marketing\designer guys are.

There is a bunch different brand names for each sub section of the service.

BT Broadband

BT Infinity,

BT HomeHub

BT TV which used to be call BT Vision.

BT Vison which is now a different product,

BT Sport

YouView EPG

+ optional subscriptions to SKY ,NetFlix etc...etc,,

+ Smarts like iPlayer, ITV,4OD etc etc...

The number of different webpages and multiple entry points trying to explain what BTs IPTV and Set Top Box are, just confuses and obscures what seems to be a very good alternative to the SKY and Virgin Options.

Come on BT get your act together sack the marketing guys simplify the description of the offer and stop doing the vanity corporate thing of prefixing each unique brand name with the parent company name. a la Microsoft-<software package name>, Apple-,iThing> Mc-<Fastood>.

1. Stretch

Re: BT continual renaming of products and overly complex website.

Shite- is already taken by Crapple, shame for BT.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BT continual renaming of products and overly complex website.

The number of different webpages and multiple entry points trying to explain what BTs IPTV and Set Top Box are, just confuses and obscures what seems to be a very good alternative to the SKY and Virgin Options.

Believe you me, it isn't, it really, really isn't...

3. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

Stuck*

Living in the sticks I'm stuck with BT for my line rental but I would not use any of their services. Wasting £38 million on sport probably means that I will end up paying more.

*All the deals from other providers go up when I give my postcode, they all ride on BT Wholesale.

4. Flywheel

Gas, electricty..

Quoting other utility suppliers: "They all say mounting wholesale costs are partly to blame"

Yeah, of course we all know how the electron market is really volatile, and BT obviously haven't bought enough in at the "cheaper" rate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like