back to article HGST pops out 1TB ultraportable travelstar drive

Western Digital subsidiary HGST has launched a 1TB Travelstar drive that’s slower than its existing 1TB Travelstar. Handy factlette: HGST has sold enough Travelstar drives that if they were stacked on top of each other they would create a digital tower of Babel some 700km high. The new drive, the Z5K1000, is s 2-platter 750GB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Just wondering

What's the difference between a 'factlette' and a 'factoid'?

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Just wondering

a factlette is a female fact? - or would that be factette? or factess?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just wondering

Difference is: Yet another useless word.

2. Lusty

Fondleslab Disc?

If this ever hits a fondleslab it would be a crap one. The iPad is 7.5mm thick and needs to include case and screen in that so this 7mm drive would make a tablet huge. This is also spinning disk so the tablet would be slow as mollasses and open to all sorts of mechanical failure to boot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fondleslab Disc?

A manufacturer could take the electronics from a smaller tablet and stick it behind a bigger screen, then pad it out to nearer 10mm. With curved edges this wouldn't look too bad- and would also give room for a bigger battery and a better camera. Standard flash for booting and programs would keep your performance high, with the terabyte drive there for your bulk storage.

Alternatively, stick it in it's own case with a battery and USB-OTG to give a combined extended battery and nigh-infinite storage for your tablet and/or phone.

1. Lusty

@AC your comment is the opposite of why Apple are the top of this game. There are too many geeks who think whacking in a bigger screen and disk and just making it a few mm thicker are a good idea. This is the sort of mentality that made it so shocking that Apple brought out the MacBook Air and then the iPhone and the iPad - in every case they removed the extra crap that a portable device doesn't need to make a device that was portable enough that people actually started taking the devices with them and using them. You want a bigger device, buy a desktop. You want something portable, deal with less disk space :)

1. M Gale

You want something portable, deal with less disk space :)

Or just plug the 500GB USB-powered spinning-rust HDD I have, into the USB port on the convertible Droidslab that I also have. Which doesn't have its sensor and screen glass glued together and is just a little bit massively more repairable than the Macbook Air, and rather thin. And also years old.

Oddly enough, it was the Applistas who were saying how using a smaller screen was a stupid idea when Samsung brought out the original Tab. Apparently now, whacking in a bigger screen is a stupid idea. Seems that you can't win unless you have a fucking gigantic glowing fruit on the back of the device.

2. Dave K

Agreed. I'd be much happier if Apple would just swallow their pride and slap a USB port onto the iPad for additional storage. That way you could carry around 1TB of videos if you really wanted, but wouldn't be stuck with the drive inside the casing.

3. mrdalliard

New S.I. Unit?

Is a digestive biscuit one of The Register's new S.I. units of measurement?

(See double-decker buses, swimming pools, credit-cards, football stadia, etc...)

4. PeterMcC

Is it just coincidence that, arranged in a line on edge, they would stretch from the Houses of Parliament to the Scottish Parliament Building? I think we need answers.

5. Prof Denzil Dexter

WHY?

Not sure i understand the point in this? they have a 1tb 2.5" drive already. a new thinner slower one, where does that sit?

Any hardware that is desperate for 7mm thickness i.e. ultrabook / tablet is surely looking for either solid state drive or at last a faster spin than 5400rpm?

bog standard laptops / thin clients et al would have space for the older faster product.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WHY?

Slower = less power to drive, i.e. more power-saving.

6. Bill Neal

Yes, but...

Does this one have shingles? I'd like to stay away from the ones that do.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like