back to article Microsoft investors advised: Sack the guy searching for Ballmer replacement

Proxy advisory firm Glass Lewis has told Microsoft shareholders to vote against the re-election of independent director John Thompson, who is leading the search for a new chief exec. In a research note seen by Reuters, the firm said that Thompson potentially had a conflict of interest because he's the CEO of Virtual …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hammarbtyp

But...

What about the guy who searches for the guy who searches for Ballmers replacement(In this case I'm using the term guy to define all genders)

1. Stoneshop

Re: But...

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

1. Mayhem

The directors of the firm hired to continue the search after the other people had been sacked, wish it to be known that they have just been sacked.

Mr Ballmer's iReplacement Has iBeen iFound In An iEntirely iDifferent iCompany At Great iExpense And At The iLast iMinute.

2. Uncle Siggy
      Headmaster

The word "guy" is already gender neutral.

2. frank ly

Why don't they put a job advert in the press?

It wouldn't cost much and they'd get lots of publicity.

1. Oh Homer
      Windows

Re: Why don't they put a job advert in the press?

They could put up a card on my local post office's window. They'll do it for free!

Surely no one round here could do a worse job than Sweaty.

3. Fihart

Not more of the same.

Anyone with the humour bypass needed to agree to work for a company like Microsoft is the wrong person to run it.

It would be more creative and have a lighter touch with customers if it had a Richard Branson or Stelios Haji-Ioannou* type figure at the helm.

*For US readers: both are genuine entrepreneurs, founders of innovative airline and other businesses.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Innovative ?

Sueing any and everyone who dares use the word "Easy" in their company name is innovative ?

Well, OK, yes it is, about as innovative as swallowing arsenic to cure a cold.

1. jai

Re: Innovative ?

you gotta admit, he was using the courts in that way long before the likes of Samsung, Apple, Motorolla, et al

so yeah, i'd say he innovated and brought that particular corporate strategy into the mainstream

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Greek quantitative easing!

Easy now!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Innovative ?

Pascal, it's called 'asserting your trademark'. I would expect you would do exactly the same if you had an easily-recognised and easily-copied trademark to ensure that people are not riding on the coattails of your fame to pass off their products!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@SP

No, when you attack companies from markets that are wildly outside your own, it is called "being a bully".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @SP

Tomaytoes, Tomahtoes.

4. Stephen Channell
    Megaphone

They may as well stop now..it's going to be Bill Gates

The PR people will hype "the real steve jobs"; the press will talk about every new product; the make-over will be epic and...

The share-price will jump, and half the agitators will sell; then Bill can get on the serious business of finding and nurturing the real next CEO

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ok then

I'll be CEO.

GIVE IT UP FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! AGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

See?

6. Gordon 10
    WTF?

Hang on a sec

Given 99% of the worlds firms have MS Office licenses - doesnt that mean EVERYONE has a conflict of interest?

Pretty feeble arguement on the surface. I wonder how the Non-exec has pissed off Glass?

1. Big_Ted
      Facepalm

Re: Hang on a sec

Read it again, his company sales to MS........

1. Euripides Pants
        Headmaster

Re: Hang on a sec

Ya mis spelt "sails"...

7. Steve B

I thought John Thomson was a comedian!

Haven't seen him for ages so it looks like he's moved on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like