back to article Hero HTC phone takes a BULLET, saves shop worker's life mid-robbery

A Florida convenience store clerk has had a lucky escape after a robber shot him in the chest, only to have the bullet stopped by a smartphone in his pocket. HTC stops a bullet Don't try this at home ... the plucky HTC handset Lieutenant Scott Allen of Winter Gardens Police Department told The Register that the clerk's HTC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Philippe

Fine

I never thought I'd say this but it looks like those Landfill Androids are actually good for something.

2. Roger Stenning
    Thumb Up

Guy was lucky.

Remember, this was at exceedingly short - possibly even point-blank - range. Any calibre larger than .22" or .25" could well have completely penetrated through the phone and its battery, into his chest. .22, and to a lesser extent, .25, are fast, but comparatively light bullets; a .32" or bigger may well have done the poor sod some altogether more serious damage. Still, as close shaves go, nice job HTC - the phone stood up to its name - Hero!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Guy was lucky.

You're correct. This is why the industry needs to stop being so cheap and start using liquid metal. If it was liquid metal, it would even stop a 9mm hollowpoint, possibly, possibly a 45. Of course it might save a life or 2, but think about the loss of sales due to broken screens :-/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Guy was lucky.

If it were liquid metal, it could have reformed into the shape of a policeman and chased the criminal on a motorcycle.

3. Piro Silver badge

Second time now

That's the second time an HTC phone has literally stopped a bullet. Different models, though: HTC DROID Incredible, and now an HTC Evo 3D.

Do people who buy HTCs just hang out in dodgy places? Who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3TLIrqLRI#t=4

4. Johan Bastiaansen

That hero took it on the chin !

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He would have died if it was a flimsy Samdung phone. #plasticphone

6. Mephistro
    Happy

HA! And they said that I was mad...

... for always carrying my laptop strapped to my chest! This will show them!!!

7. Neoc

pun alert

When they catch the perp, they can add a new charge: "assault a battery".

8. ian 22

Why did I need to wonder...

... if this happened in the USA?

Of course it did!

1. James O'Shea

Re: Why did I need to wonder...

Silly boy, it didn't happen in the US, it happened in the Gunshine State. Things be different in Florida, son. This here place is a few steps below a banana republic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why did I need to wonder...

Given that the US has the largest amount of guns per capita (#2 has about ~60% the amount of guns per capita) and that the right to "bear arms" is the 2nd amendment the propensity for gun violence is high. Conversely, the US also has the most Nobel laureates. It is indeed a diverse population. I would kindly remind you that generalizations (especially when applied to several million) are not appropriate when discussing people as it strips them of their humanity and that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/internet-rocked-by-blogger-with-sarcastic-sensibil,34212/

9. gregthecanuck
    Angel

Zing!

I don't think the product managers realized what they were asking for when they demanded a bullet-proof design!

10. bogomips

My last HTC phone hit the pavement so many times, and walked away with only minor scratches... I think it hurt the ground! HTC sure have good build quality. I'm considering the HTC One Max for my next one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like