back to article Samsung pops out app toolkits for TVs, mobes, tabs (But DON'T mention Android)

At Samsung's first-ever developer conference, which kicked off in San Francisco on Monday, the South Korean firm unveiled a handful of new software development kits (SDKs) aimed at convincing programmers to think of themselves as not merely Android coders, but developers for the emerging Samsung platform. In fact, the word " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JamesTQuirk

I think Android has issues, namely its built on JAVA, which is a colander, with hole ....

I feel its only a matter of time before Android is dropped for a linux distro, it seems to me that a lot of firms moving that way ....

I love my Samsung 32" Monitor/tv, but mostly their 512gb SSD 840 pro, VERY NICE !!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You clearly don't know the difference between the Java language and Java platform. Android SDK makes use of Java language and thats it. Also, there have been many linux distros which don't use a Java API, and guess what they are all DOA in mobile market for most part. Apparently developers like having mature tools and APIs to develop mobile apps, go figure.

1. JamesTQuirk

Roll on Ubuntu for Phones, I wonder/hope if they will call it "Jack the Java killer" ....

2. JamesTQuirk

Yeah, Can U read ?

Try this, it explains it to you, http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

but my favourite bit is ...

"Ready for your phone, With all-native core apps and no Java overhead, Ubuntu runs well on entry-level smartphones — yet it uses the same drivers as Android. "

or " A fast-evolving app ecosystem We’re working closely with selected partners to get their apps onto Ubuntu; Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Evernote and Amazon will be available at launch. "

and the biggies ,

"And at the high end, Ubuntu paves the way for a new category of superphones, with a full PC desktop accessible just by docking the device to a monitor and keyboard. A handheld PC is the future of personal computing — true convergence"

" And because it enjoys the full capabilities of Ubuntu — including kernel-level control of every app — it puts the security and manageability of UNIX in your pocket" "

Can people who justifies JAVA spell Security ?

2. -tim
    FAIL

Security? What Security?

Yet on the other side of the world there was a great demo of one of their so called Smart TVs streaming video from its camera while appearing to be off. I think they need to look at their security a bit better.

3. Mer Ner

Hedging their bets?

I'm a bit unsure with the way Samsung are going with their mobile devices. To me it seems like they're aiding the "fragmentation" issue that people like to bring up.

This is due to the extra APIs they are including with their devices. I'm all for innovation with regards to mobile technology and some of the work is extremely useful, such as their own TeamViewer QuickSupport for mobile devices. On stock Samsung devices, you can control the input of the mobile device. However, you are unable to do this on non Samsung devices. Of course you can work around this by flashing the relevant API onto the device, but that's not something a general consumer would necessarily want to be doing.

I'm worried that if they do entice developers to make use of their SDKs using non-standard Android APIs it will fragment the app market (where we'd have non-Samsung compatible versions) and hinder app innovation. Google have been working hard on adding useful APIs to Android over the last few version since ICS and I think it would be nice to see them working with Samsung to add these additional features to the standard Android build.

Unfortunately, it's a case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place, since both are major players and are currently reliant on one another.

It just seems to me like Samsung are hedging their bets a little, whereas Amazon forked Android for their own needs.

4. TraceyC
    Flame

Are they turning their ecosystem into an ad platform?

Recently, I contacted Samsung because ads had started appearing in the Smart Hub part of my "Smart TV". Digging into this, I found that Samsung is making noise about their "Premium Interactive Advertising" on Smart TV's.

http://www.samsungadhub.com/pr/capabilities/smarttv/smarttv.do

The Samsung representative who replied to me (who was very polite and well written) confirmed that users have no way of disabling ads in the Smart Hub. That's right, Samsung sees your TV as a way of delivering ads to you with your media. They don't see your property as yours, but theirs, to make *them* money.

This makes me seriously consider the possibility they will start delivering ads on other devices that will have the Samsung platform. If they see TV's as their money making vehicle, why not tablets, phones and watches?

1. JamesTQuirk

Re: Are they turning their ecosystem into an ad platform?

"Smart TV" is a test, you failed ....

WHY in the wild wild world of sports would people want to need to buy VirusChecker/firewall system for TV?Fridge ETC, Do they like the possibility of having to pay a ransom to watch "gilligans Island", or have their TV watch them ?

1. TraceyC

Wrong assumption. I hadn't *wanted* a Smart TV, because I was leery of something like this or a security issue. When looking at the options for the size TV I wanted, there weren't many non-Smart-TVs. I didn't want a security issue, I would have preferred more choices to be available, but they weren't. At least in the US, the TV manufacturers are very keen to shove Smart TVs down people's throats, whether we want them or not.

1. JamesTQuirk

Ok, but it is still a test ,,,

I agree I run around here (australia) when I saw what was happening, bought the last NON SMART 42" I could find, funnily it was a high end Hitachci Model, EXTREMELY energy efficent, all the Connections, and reduced a thousand to clear, because apparently the poor thing is DUMB, I gave it a home, now with my 32" Dumb Samsung they be "Dumber & Dumber"...

What gets me is when I hook my SONY xperia S via HDMI to either of these, they become REALLY SMART TV's !

Why didn't someone notice that ? Not to create another BILL for comsumer surely ....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like