back to article Sueballs lobbed at Tosh, Samsung and LG over 'optical disk cartel'

Now Acer is suing Toshiba, Samsung and others in a California court over optical disk product price fixing - just a day after HP sued Tosh, Samsung and LG over the same thing. As reported by Bloomberg, the HP lawsuit, filed in Houston, claims the three CD, DVD and Blu-Ray optical disk makers operated an effective cartel from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. knarf

Apple ???

Will Apple sue, since they've deemed optical drives as "legacy"

1. Oh Homer
      Paris Hilton

Microsoft ???

Since when does Microsoft make optical drives?

2. streaky

Seems to me..

That these companies also control the LCD et al panel market - i.e. if it's possible they're doing it with optical media it's highly likely the same is true of panels.

3. Robert E A Harvey

You need to make what people want

I stopped buying HP optical drives because they did not support DVD-ram, and kept disconnecting in Linux.

Sorry, HP, it's not a cartel at thier end - it's overpriced mundane products at yours!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

DVD-Ram

You use it too?

You should join in the Annual users symposium to share your thoughts with other like-minded people.

We all meet in a phonebox, just off Leicester Square.

1. Ralph B

Re: DVD-Ram

We all meet in a phonebox, just off Leicester Square.

Oh, yes, I think I might have seen the business cards you left behind.

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: You need to make what people want

"I stopped buying HP optical drives because they did not support DVD-ram, and kept disconnecting in Linux."

Come on. DVD-RAM is a proprietary format of Panasonic. Other OD makers have licensed it for some drive models, but nowadays they do not seem to bother anymore.

(correction) It was proprietary, now opened up a bit.

And HP has bugger all to do with it. They just buy drives from the big three.

4. Indolent Wretch

You can buy a Samsung, 24x, DVD rewriter for £14.99.

That's a real machine with moving parts, a motor, electronics, optics, etc.

If they're running a cartel they sure aren't doing it for a profit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Duh......

Step 1: Price everyone else out of the market

Step 2: Sell your product to every man, woman and child on the planet

Step 3: Drown in cash

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Duh......

I'll raise your "Duh" in this case with:

Step 1: Price everyone else out of the market

Step 2: Sell your product to every man, woman and child on the planet

Step 3: Discontinue the product because it's been completely superseded and is now considered legacy.

.... I'm not sure where the "Drown in Cash" bit comes in.

Just make sure that when LG suddenly put the price of a DVD re-writer up to £200, rub their all-too-foreign hands together and cackle evilly as their master plan reaches fruition you let us know.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely the whole point of an anti-competitive behaviour is to create artificial profit? DVD-ReWriters have been at £12-15 for around five years and that could just be the bottom line before it becomes unprofitiable as oppossed to some clandestine attempt to wrangle out extra profit.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"DVD-ReWriters have been at £12-15 for around five years"

Yup. And Bluray drives have been steadily falling over that period.

The same thing happened with CD rewriters, although the plateau was slightly higher.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And when I worked in retail around ten years ago CD-ROMs then DVD-ROMs plateued at similar prices.

£12-15 seems to be the bottom price for all optical drives.

6. M W

Don't see why Acer should get anything out of it, since it's us the end consumer that has paid if there was any price fixing. Acer will have just passed on what ever price they paid for the components.

It like bitching well if we'd have got it cheaper we'd have made more profit, but if you'd have got it cheaper, you'd have sold your products cheaper, since you wouldn't know that you could have sold them for more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If Acer could have save 50 cents on the cost of building the machine, do you really think that the price you would have paid would have been 50 cents less?

The price you paid would still end in 99 or 49 (with the occasional outlier ending in 69 or 29). And those prices would be in Dollars/Pounds/Euro, not cents.

7. Hans 1
    WTF?

1. HP, Acer etc sue the CD/DVD/BluRay makers for price-fixing

2. CD/DVD/BluRay makers pay a huge fine to the suing companies and hike up the prices of their CD/DVD/BluRay players to compensate for the heavy fines ...

3. we foot the bill, as usual.

8. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"... as any fule kno ..."

Finally, a story written in Queen's Norfolk ... :-)

A norfolk bumpkinny wumpkinney ...

9. fishman

LG

"As any fule kno, LG Corporation used to be called Lucky Goldstar before it fell victim to the name-abbrev'ing craze of the late 2000s."

I think they changed it to LG so the unwashed masses would not realize that it was the same company that made the crappy Goldstar junk.

10. Patched Out

Disk media, not the drives?

Yes, the drives are cheap, but what about the media? The article doesn't hit you over the head with clarity, but this one statement gives me the impression that the lawsuits are about the price fixing of the optical disk media:

"As reported by Bloomberg, the HP lawsuit, filed in Houston, claims the three CD, DVD and Blu-Ray ***optical disk makers*** operated an effective cartel..."

11. ken jay

ok for the corporations

What about us.. i have paid between £25 and £1000.00 for these devices over the last 20 years or rather they are making the rich even richer why not help the consumer for a change who made them rich.

I really do not care about dvd`s nowadays while we have plenty of storage for mounting them and less and

less reason to spend so long wasting money and time on single use media.

Maybe we need someone to look into the monopoly the dvd rewriting people have secured themselves.

12. saundby

Goldstar cheaper, not necessarily bad

My two Goldstar amber mono/HGA monitors are still working to this day, long after the overpriced Princeton and IBM displays packed it in. =Why= I'm still using two HGA displays is beside the point. ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like