back to article You've spent $1,500 on Glass. Now Google wants you to sell more specs

Google is giving wearers of its Google Glass augmented-reality spectacles the chance to act as its unpaid sales force. The scheme for "Glass Explorers" – early adopters of the ad-slinger's computerized eyewear – was announced by the company today, along with information on a new model for folk who need to wear prescription …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rukario
    Boffin

Glass Explorers or...

Glassholes?

I wonder how many gSheeple will be signing up to boombustblog.com in the hope of getting an invitation from Reggie Middleton?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Glass Explorers or...

"I wonder how many gSheeple will be signing up to boombustblog.com in the hope of getting an invitation from Reggie Middleton?"

Far fewer than if the offer were an invitation from Pippa Middleton.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acidic indeed

I would point out that Glass sets are sold on eBay at over $3000, so there must be some people who really want them… I would not be surprised if many owners have a couple of friends who are constantly asking if they can try them on, at least now they have a way to tell them "Want them? Easy, just shell out the $$$."

I guess this means Google think they can handle the onslaught of buyers. Either they have built a reasonable stash, or they are having trouble selling those they have. Notice however that they are proposing replacing the existing ones with new models. I cannot help wondering if those will count in their statistics of "models shipped" or whichever way they will present that to convince the world it is a success…?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Acidic indeed

"I cannot help wondering if those will count in their statistics of "models shipped" or whichever way they will present that to convince the world it is a success…?"

If Google hasn't learned anything from the tune of the crashing piano which is Windows RT (if you listen closely on a quiet night, you can hear a buyer through all the screams of broken cords)... then I suspect "shipped" will be synonymous with "manufactured". However, I think what your current set of glasses might reveal is those 2 words that somehow magically associate success with the lack of supply..."Back Ordered".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Acidic indeed

When something sells on Ebay for twice its list price, whether it is Google Glasses or a gold iPhone 5S, it is because people are willing to pay extra to be one of the first/few to have it. I suspect many of those who buy one and successfully become one of the first owners of them quickly move on and want something else once the unwashed masses are allowed to own them.

3. Graham Marsden
    Alert

"it will come with a mono ear-bud...

"...to better plug folk into the company's ad-backed internet systems"

Wasn't there a Doctor Who episode like that?

(Ok, I know it was really two ear buds with glowing blue lights...)

4. poopypants

Interesting psychology

The outrageously high price instantly identifies the wearer as someone who has a substantial disposable income. Making them obtainable by invitation only will of course serve to increase their desirability. People often want things that they cannot have - simply because they can't have them. Once the mindset is established that wearing Google Glass establishes membership of an exclusive elite*, Google will have to beat off the unwashed masses with a stick.

*See also Apple marketing strategy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is Halloween, not April fools day!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There, fixed that for them ...

"Over the next few weeks, all Explorers will have the opportunity to invite All three friends to join the program,..."

7. Mark 85
    Big Brother

Maybe it's me...

and I'll probably get downvoted for this. But the heck do we really need GoogleGlass for? To show people the ham sandwich we're eating while walking down the street and Twittering? I guess any friend who emails his other friends to buy this is just too hip.

Other than someone in a profession that requires monitoring such as say combat soldier or fire/law personnel, what purpose do these serve? And what problem do they really solve? Other than letting Google slurp your life, that is?

1. Thecowking

Re: Maybe it's me...

No downvote here, but I can see a lot of use for a HUD that ties into my calendar, GPS and so on.

I wouldn't exactly want to take photos of everything, but I wouldn't say no to some overlays on streets and the like.

Perhaps a facial recognition program, some kind of stealth mode and stalker mode enabled on my friends in a paintball game...

Actually yes, Glass has the potential to make paintball _much_ more fun.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cowking, yeah, I can see some potential there, but I can also see in the middle of a paintball fight this thing scrolling a message pointing you to the nearest Walmart for all your paintball needs.

1. Thecowking

I'd probably root it.

I do with all my other Google devices.

2. Muscleguy

it isn't just you. I've been wondering the same thing. But then I'm not on twitter or facebook etc and have no need to check my email 24/7. As a runner I can see the attraction of a heads up display so I don't have to look at my pace watch to get HR/Pace/Distance info. But they would have to be as lightweight as my current plastic lensed glasses and be impervious to rain, including lenses water/hail/snow doesn't stick to. After all at the moment I can take my glasses off without loss of information during showers/rain (they tuck neatly into the small of my back held with one arm outside my waistband).

Though $1500 for that functionality and just for when I'm running is rather high. I can upgrade my pace watch for very much less.

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

Gun... meet foot...

OK, if I like something, it's pretty damn hard to get me to shut up about it, and I can end up being pretty annoying.

However, if the company has a program like this, then I would end up feeling like a dupe and a shill, so it'd be pretty much the best way to shut me up about it.

9. jnffarrell1

Curmudgeon Futurist

As you are well aware your title is otter snot. The author is well aware that social collaboration among mobile users, immersed in a local environment is at the heart of Glass development. What better way to emphasize collaboration, than to get 4 updated Glass(s) into the hands of Explorer(s) and or exploring organizations for the price of three?

10. jnffarrell1

Gossip Girls Still Don't Like Glass

What about exploratory development don't you get? Google just put four updated Glass devices into the hands of groups that only had one at the reduced price of $1175/set. Now four surgeons, students, professors, first responders ... can collaborate on their use-case for the price of three. Of course fashionistas are still calling people Glassholes for wearing Glass but you can't satisfy any of those 'Gossip Girls' any of the time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like