back to article NYSE preps for MILLIONS of trades in Twitter IPO stress-tests

In a bid to avoid a similar scenario to Facebook's IPOcalypse, the New York Stock Exchange ran a simulated market debut for Twitter shares over the weekend. The NYSE did a test run of the day Twitter’s stocks will go on sale to check if its systems will be able to handle the tidal wave of traffic the IPO could potentially …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bigtimehustler

Good, so the only question that remains is what on earth the NASDAQ tech people were smoking when they thought 40,000 was a test of anything in the lead up to the facebook IPO, that was just crazy!

2. Timmay

Twitter ticker = TWIT?

I still don't get Twitter, and therefore I doubly don't get the point in floating it.

Still, I guess when it comes to trading, it doesn't matter what "it" is you're trading in - could be worn shoe soles, or even thin air - so long as there's a ticker representing it and a price that goes up or down, there's money to be made.

1. Dr Who

Re: Twitter ticker = TWIT?

It was Excite founder Joe Kraus who for me explained this best. He always said that what Excite had missed, and why Google won, was that search was actually about marketing. A good search engine provided an awesome vehicle for reaching potential customers. Google transformed the world from a dozen markets of millions of people, to a million markets of dozens of people.

Facebook and Twitter have created highly popular platforms that can be used for hyper targeted marketing campaigns. Therein lies their value. Whether we like them or not is irrelevant. I don't like TV advertising myself, but in the end, reaching your target market is where the money is, and the routes to market that prove most successful are going to be enormously valuable.

1. Robert Grant

The reason Google won was because people used it, which was because - unlike every other search engine - you couldn't buy your way up the search results, and when they introduced advertising, they clearly presented it as such.

The reason Excite failed was because when two grad students called Sergey Brin and Larry Page offered to sell their search engine called Google to Excite for $750k, the CEO George Bell refused them. You can't teach acumen like that. I hope.

1. Dr Who

Never knew that about Google's offer to sell to Excite. Amazing! Nevertheless my point holds. I agree that Google's superiority as a search engine attracted the people. However, it was the advertising and marketing tools they built that allowed them to turn those people into a world beating business model.

2. Cliff

How profitable is it? I can't see any meaningful revenue streams, so wonder how you value the company at an IPO.

1. Tom 38

You ascribe a value per user and multiply by the number of users.

1. Cliff

>>>You ascribe a value per user and multiply by the number of users.<<<

Just like Dotcomboomandbust1.0 :-) That knocked out a few decent companies caught up gambling with dotcom stuff - anyone remember Marconi? And BT used to make £100/sec profit before spanking a mint on overvalued dotcom stuff first time round.

If each user is an additional cost, no matter how many you have, you just have bigger costs...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like