back to article Singaporeans BEG government to block website

In many nations around the world citizens want their governments to stop blocking access to the web, but in Singapore netizens are asking the government to add more material to its list of sites that won't be available to locals. The site in question is ashleymadison.com, a dating site for people already in relationships that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A cuckold or a stud? The choice is yours.

* Yes, I could have checked out the site in incognito mode, but I prefer to have my browser history recorded (by the browser and the NSA – hi guys) so I can revisit sources.

Having it recorded in cognito mode can really fcuk up their admins and leverage systems whenever the trail led be intentionally false and excitingly compromising. Although one does have to wonder and ponder whether it would matter a jot in the greater scheme of things in the company of intelligent beings, and/or be just one of those crazy things to have great fun with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Subjunctive

>whenever the trail led be intentionally false and excitingly compromising

Subjunctive can be very useful, but not here.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Subjunctive ...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive_mood

>whenever the trail led be intentionally false and excitingly compromising

Subjunctive can be very useful, but not here. ....Anonymous Coward Posted Monday 28th October 2013 09:30 GMT

Well, it be certainly not really useful for NSA type botched operations, AC, that's for sure. Paradoxically though, that would sort of automatically make them [such trails that lead to misleading tales] really practical for counter-intelligence missions and bods and boffins and molls on AIMissions that botch snooping operations and provide a novel phorm of CyberIntelAIgent Security and Virtual Protection?

And that be already twice today this morning that something has been said that might be of interest to whoever or whatever be at the receiving end of cyber at ukti dot gsi dot gov dot uk

2. Robert E A Harvey

Old idea

A girl I was at school at opened a card-index and telephone based version of this back in the 1960s. She laid on the hotel rooms and the champagne as part of her fee, and ended up convicted of 'procuring' or some such anti-pimping legislation. I do wonder if M-A charging a fee doesn't lay them open to the law in some countries.

1. DavCrav

Re: Old idea

"I do wonder if M-A charging a fee doesn't lay them open to the law in some countries."

The same countries presumably also ban dating websites, introduction agencies, etc.?

3. Nuke
    Facepalm

Two-Faced

“Life is short, have an affair” [is] its motto

"The site's FAQ says it does not encourage infidelity"

So which is it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your NSA remark may be right on the money

Interesting that people are so dumb that they create a track record of having affairs so that they can be blackmailed later. However, it doesn't even need the NSA:

AshleyMadison.com. 86400 IN NS pdns1.safenames.net.

=> geolocate: US location for DNS

AshleyMadison.com. 3600 IN MX 100 ashleymadison.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.

=> geolocate: US location for email

Any US official can wander in and demand the data.

1. Great Bu
      Joke

Re: Your NSA remark may be right on the money

"Any US official can wander in and demand a date." - There, fixed it........

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would the 25000 petitioners just happen to be 'employees' of Orchard Towers or one of the many places in the Geylang district that aren't looking forward to free competition?

6. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

W... T... F....???

So is it that the petitioners are so incapable of controlling themselves and their browsing habits that they want the Government to block this site because they fear that if they accidentally visit it, they'll instantly be sucked into a world of infidelity?

Or is it that *they* are Paragons of Moral Virtue but fear that their partners are not (or, at least, don't trust them or are incredibly insecure about the strength of their relationships) that they want it banned Just In Case someone else is corrupted by its seductive message...?

Or maybe it's just another example of "Please ban this to stop someone else from doing something which *I* know they shouldn't be doing"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: W... T... F....???

"they'll instantly be sucked into a world of infidelity?"

I think that is a different web site!

7. NomNomNom

Finally

About time someone stood up for the 10 commandments

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Finally

God forbade that anyone should live their life by any rules but his... that is what you meant, isn't it?

2. Graham Marsden
      Boffin

@NomNomNom - Re: Finally

You are free to have as many Commandments as you want. You are free to obey as many of them as you want. I respect your (and their) right to do this.

All I, and others who think like me, would like is that *YOU* respect *OUR* right to have different beliefs and not have you and your ilk telling us that we can't do something because you don't like it.

3. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Finally @NomNomNom

First of all, you do realise that Singapore is mainly Buddhist, and Christians form a small fraction of the population, don't you? It is unlikely they are standing up for the 10 commandments.

Second, why do you think a set of arbitrary conditions (not commandments) thought up by a particular group in a particular place with a particular environment at a particular time should necessarily be followed by our society? After all, it isn't as if other ways haven't been adopted by other successful civilisations over the centuries, is it?

Religion - the last resort of the hard-of-thinking ...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Singapore may be a bridge too far, because as Tech In Asia points out, nearly 25,000 locals have signed a Facebook petition calling for the island nation's government to block the site before it corrupts marriages and destroys families."

It isn't the site that "corrupts marriages and destroys families", it's marriage! Its an out dated concept and should be put to sleep!

9. JaitcH

AshleyMadison.com ... Never needed in Singapore before

When I worked there the local Chinese didn't need help getting "spare tires" - it's the reason why so may cell handsets have two, three even four SIM capacities - one for the wife and business and the others for the girls.

The are many hotels renting rooms for 1-2-3 hours for grub screws at lunch time.

Even worse in Mainland China!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like