back to article How to find OS X Mavericks' 43 hidden photogenic beauties

As it did in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Apple has hidden away a fine collection of forty-three 3200-by-2000-pixel photos in OS X 10.9 Mavericks that it intends you to use in the default screensaver. If you know where they are, however, you can also use them for rather lovely desktop backgrounds. OS X Daily found them in Mountain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lusty

Blimey

Apple have never responded before yet here they are agreeing to let you republish their copyright images! Perhaps you ought to use this contact to ask all the other burning questions they've ignored recently ;)

1. Ulaavi
      Devil

Re: Blimey

This is El Reg's attempt at ingratiating themselves to Apple.

(You did ask to use the copyrighted images right?)

5/10 for the thought. 0/10 for the effort.

1. Mark 85
        Pint

They wouldn't need "permission" under the copyright "fair use" policy where extracts are permitted for "reviews". But who knows, maybe there's an Apple lawyer that will have this on his desk by Monday with a terse: "look into this...".

Beer, just because El Reg published this and because it's Saturday.

1. Lusty

"They wouldn't need "permission" under the copyright "fair use" policy where extracts are permitted for "reviews""

You consider publishing several full resolution copies of the copyright work to be an extract? I think photographers worldwide would disagree with you. Had they been low resolution versions or crops then I would agree with you but what you're suggesting is akin to me reviewing the Harry Potter series and posting the full text of several of the books with the article. Copyright law quite clearly says this is not cool.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Free OS upgrades, Mavericks and iOS 7 and now pretty pictures for free...

Even the hardcore Apple hating, vitriol spewing, shouty down Fandoid cannot be so immune that they cannot but feel just the slightest nudge of envy when they look down at their 9 month old mobile phone running an operating system 2 years out of date hoping beyond hope that an update will be thrown their way but knowing that reality dictates they will have to buy a new phone.

Go on, you know we know that you know you wished you had gone to Apple.

1. Chet Mannly

"Free OS upgrades, Mavericks and iOS 7 and now pretty pictures for free...

Even the hardcore Apple hating, vitriol spewing, shouty down Fandoid cannot be so immune that they cannot but feel just the slightest nudge of envy when they look down at their 9 month old mobile phone running an operating system 2 years out of date hoping beyond hope that an update will be thrown their way but knowing that reality dictates they will have to buy a new phone."

Oh please - Apple have just stopped charging for service packs now, (like MS have never done) and we're supposed to celebrate? More likely Apple figured out users like me weren't paying good money for minor tweaks so they have to give them away.

My 9 month old Android has the latest OS - please get a clue before posting again fanboi.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Blimey @Chet Mannley

Service packs?

Ok

1. asdf
            Trollface

>Service packs?

Yes. One huge difference between Apple and Microsoft until lately has been that Apple only made software to sell hardware where they make their real money. That is why Windows 8 will often run on a Mac several years after Apple quit allowing you upgrade your Mac OS X past say 10.7. Linux and even Microsoft support Macs longer than Apple does because Apple wants you to buy a new computer and Microsoft just wants you buy a license (Linux makes you quickly forget about either but I digress). Thus Apple has a strong vested interest in releasing a "new" OS every year regardless if there are many new features.

1. David Walker

Service Packs?

No.

Each version of the Mac OS that has been released has had major architectural changes under the hood. Many of those changes such as sandboxing and 64-bit adoption are exactly the same kinds of changes that Microsoft released between versions of their operating system. As for Apple jettisoning old users of its hardware – check your facts Mavericks runs on computers that are six years old (it supports 2007 iMac's). On those systems there's actually a slight increase in speed. A speed bump on all of my computers in fact has happened. I recall Windows Vista machines that were only two years old that really didn't have the appropriate specifications for that operating system – yes Microsoft officially "supported" those two-year-old systems but Vista didn't run on them. Windows 7 has been long criticized as an operating system that simply fixed the problems with Windows Vista. I wouldn't call it a service pack - not least of all because of the $200+ price tag - but the only real new "features" it offered was it 'ran'. I also can't remember a time when a new Microsoft operating system installed on older hardware improved the performance of the older hardware (has that ever happened? - except with Windows 7 maybe because it was a bug fix for Vista?). I started this by using the phrase "improvements under the hood" - that's important - most of the "new features" at the user level are just eye candy (for both operating systems) - ultimately the question is whether or not an operating system lets you do your work more effectively and more efficiently. Each and every version of the Mac OS has provided me with something that helps get the job done. On most of my Windows computers I spend days and weeks trying to fix software after an upgrade and often the operating system is pushed back in someway that interferes with my workflows. I anticipated the release of Mavericks and it was rolled out in my organization within a day of its release– but my institution has said it is going to wait until the end of life for Windows 7 before supporting any other Microsoft operating system. I've heard the same thing from many other companies I work with – and that is the big difference between the Mac OS and Windows.

1. asdf

> that are six years old (it supports 2007 iMac's)

Yeah and then they refuse allowing the original iPad which was just over two years old at the time to be upgraded to ios 6. The fact is if you can run Windows 8 and the latest Ubuntu on a Mac both then you should be able run the latest Mac OS as well. The 2007 Mac Pros run both Windows 8 and the latest flavors of Linux no problem but you weren't even allowed to upgrade them to the last Mac OS without turning them into a hackintosh which one you do run great. Thus proving once again that Apple are full of s h * t. Forced obsolesce is necessary because after all we don't want rift raft in the hipster cult.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Yeah and then they refuse allowing the original iPad which was just over two years old at the time to be upgraded to ios 6

Apples vs pears (unintentional pun). OSX <> iOS, even the aim for hardware is different. The cycle time of mobile gear is for the average consumer in the region of 1..2 years, and iOS has changed quite dramatically.

Machines running OSX, however, are typical desktop/laptops, and in my book they have to last 4 years. Usually I fling them out before that or replace the harddisks, but I have zero experience with SSD RLMTBF (real life MTBF) so I'll probably hang on to a device until it breaks and have a spare handy.

1. asdf

>The cycle time of mobile gear is for the average consumer in the region of 1..2 years,

>Machines running OSX, however, are typical desktop/laptops, and in my book they have to last 4 years. >Usually I fling them out before that

Wow you have more money than the average punter then. At Apple's margins most people make their hardware last as long as possible. Even phones here in the states often take 2 years to get replaced as per most contracts. I guess Apple relies on your type of attitude to get away with their forces obsolescence then.

2. Grey Bird

Apple hasn't ever charged for service packs either. Service packs don't include additional functionality or applications, just fixes to the code. At least that's all I ever got for a Microsoft Service Pack.

Congratulations on having a 9 month old Android with the latest OS. :-) I'm glad you have a phone manufacturer and carrier that update their phones. I sincerely wish All Android manufacturers and carriers would do this, at least for phones capable of the OS, so people would stop going on about it. It would also help Android users to have more secure phones with the latest bug fixes.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Service packs fix problems, OS updates add functionality. Apple do both of these things and at this point in time they do it for free. Windows at this point in time charge for new OS and Android usage...

2.2% Froyo

28.5% Gingerbread

0.1% Honeycomb

20.6% Ice Cream Sandwich

36.5% Jelly Bean Sandwich 4.1

10.6% Jelly Bean Sandwich 4.2

1.5% Jelly Bean Sandwich 4.3

Chances are your phone is now waiting for an update now

1. Lusty

"Windows at this point in time charge for new OS"

8.1 was free to 8 owners so you really can't say that until 8.2 comes out and proves you right :)

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          FAIL

so your Android has had some updates. Well lucky you. There are millions of Android devices out there that despite the manufacturers promises, have never been updated past Android 2.3.

1. dannymot

...and there is nothing wrong with that. 2.3 is an excellent operating system.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Any major change to an OS is going to be a tradeoff between running on old hardware and making use of what's available in new hardware. One OS to rule them all is probably impractical unless it's Windows, whose vast user base makes it economic to do that kind of thing. Whatever you think about a monopoly, ten times the installed base of the nearest competitor does mean that it's easily practical to support older hardware.

I have an old, low spec phone that runs 2.3 and is there purely to be an occasional mobile hotspot/ emergency phone. I really don't expect to be able to update it to do things beyond the reach of the screen, processor and memory.

iOS is a relatively lean, resources light phone OS (it has to be given the size of the battery) that may well work fairly well when new versions are installed on older hardware, but that's not necessarily something Apple see as a primary goal.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My 9 month old Android has the latest OS - please get a clue before posting again fanboi.

Interesting. My two year old iPhone 4S has the latest OS too. Since Thursday. Was there any particular point you were trying to make or were you just trying to participate in that weird dick fighting that has become a fashionable replacement for informed discussion? Just curious.

6. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've read this Maverics is just a service pack cr@p before - it's as significant as many Microsoft updates and whats it matter what you call it - it's free.

Service packs are typically a roll up of all the security and other patches Microsoft issued - Maverics is not just bug fixes - it adds a load of new and updated features. Did I mention it's free - Microsoft must be sweating it when they charge HOW MUCH for their (some would say downgrades) from Windows 7 to 8??

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How I wish I had those luscious unicorn-dung-coloured icons and beautiful animations to stare at every single time I unlocked my phone! I would gladly forgo my ability to share information between apps, access the filesystem, download any file to my device, beam anything between Bluetooth or Wi-Di devices, change my home-screen (to emulate iOS', of course,) install custom OS's ranging from modifications of Android to Linux, have my pick of whatever device fits my price range, etc. - which I've basically had since the launch of Android itself - all to get back into that Apple ecosystem where innovation comes in the form of icons that have not the slightest indication of the functions they actually serve. I NEED the latest OS on my iDevices, because I crave the "200 new features" that serve no useful purpose to me! I like being locked into a world where about all I can do to make my device my own is change the wallpaper!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How I wish I had those luscious unicorn-dung-coloured icons and beautiful animations to stare at every single time I unlocked my phone!

Control your bling envy. To me, the whole cult crap is a lost cause - I use it because it simply works, I have no desires to jailbreak the thing because it happens to already do what I need (and it saves time during those upgrades that the whole discussion started with) and I have a good telco. As part of my work I have every platform, so I'm not stuck with a device - I choose it. And for MY use, it's the best fit.

I'm not into berating people for making different choices than me, that discussion is simply so juveline and filled with total BS that it's not even interesting WITH beer. I'm always interested in the kit that someone else has, and what makes them choose it, fine. Good debate, but it's not one that I somehow have to win. It only gets that way because some jerkoffs clearly have nothing better to do that to use equipment as a guide to personal judgement without the slightest effort to understand what drove that choice. FFS, grow up.

2. Herby

Begs the question...

Why not have a nice picture of the surf at Mavericks Beach over at the coast. Big wave surf is pretty cool.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Begs the question...

Oh but there is a big wave picture.

3. rcorrect

43 images at 3200 x 2000... screenshots indicate between 1.5 - 4MB for each. I don't have OS X 10.9 installed but that seems like a waste of disk space. At a minimum of 850MB that would be the first folder to get deleted.

1. Steve Todd

Math error

Worst case from your numbers that would be 172MB. In practice it's 146MB. All I can say is "Philistine".

1. rcorrect

Re: Math error

Scratch that extra 0!

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Someone forgot that they are .jpg files and therefore compressed.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eh?

43 * 1.5MB = 850MB ?

Did you delete your calculator app to save space?

1. ThomH

Re: Eh?

146 mb? So that's, what, 0.22% of even the stingiest drive* Apple has shipped in recent times?

(* the 64 gb flash in older Macbook Airs was the smallest I could find)

2. rcorrect

Did you delete your calculator app to save space?

I almost forgot!

Given that OS X 10.9 is a free upgrade I went ahead and said goodbye to Snow Leopard. It is nice to see Apple stealing some Windows functionality for once, being able to resize windows from any corner/edge is nice. Though I absolutely detest the look of the Dock when it is on either the left or right side of the screen.

http://i.imgur.com/mv4oZau.png

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ummmmmm... Mac OS X has let you change window size from any edge for years?

1. rcorrect

As stated, I upgraded from 10.6 to 10.9

4. Michael Thibault

@ rcorrect

(Ignoring your mis-calc...) Can you currently buy (or steal) a new drive for which the stated MB-age even approaches 1% of the capacity? If your circumstances have you down to needing to jettison something on that scale, you have space constraints well beyond serious!

1. rcorrect

It's an old habit from when hard drive space wasn't so generous. The drive in my 2008 iMac is died once and the replacement is slowly going. So I run everything on an external 1TB drive. My personal data resides on it's own partition. If you exclude multimedia, I use about 7GB. I prefer it that way because it is easy to make DVD backups every couple months. Really it doesn't matter but is something I do anyways.

1. c:\boot.ini
          Pint

>The drive in my 2008 iMac is died once and the replacement is slowly going. So I run everything on an external 1TB drive.

Get an SSD, man, you will not recognise your kit after that change ....

BTW, getting your maths wrong like that means you rimposter, not rcorrect ... where is rcorrect, how did you get his password ?

5. Jim in Hayward

Wow.

A simple command + i reveals this:

146,674,427 bytes (146.7 MB on disk) for 48 items

Pretty simple to reveal an Apple hater, isn't it?

4. Mark Allen

Same with Microsoft

Same thing happens with Microsoft - Vista and Win7. There are the themes that get chosen based on your location. Here in the UK it is photos of Big Ben and Beachy Head and so on. If you dig around in the windows folder you can find the rest of these default themes for lots of other countries.

1. asdf
      Joke

Can't resist

Clark Griswold: [Clark is driving around Lambeth Bridge Roundabout in London, England, and is unable to turn to the left] Hey look kids, there's Big Ben, and there's Parliament... again.

5. BlueGreen
    Pint

verry nice

If anyone can help, where are the locations of the oxbowing river in the red sandstone, and even more so, the cultivated land with what I'm guessing are long extinct volcanos upon. I'm guessing that countrywise they're in the USA and china (or nearby) respectively but more precision appreciated.

A suggestion to the reg: why not have a reader gallery for photos made personally by them. Not competition, just a showcase. Doesn't have to be restricted by geography, location, scale or subject. Just for the pretty, really.

One of these because it's friday, and I've already started.

1. Marvin the Martian

Re: verry nice

I think you're trying to re-invent Flickr. Why would "RegReader" be a significant category in photography, out of thousands and thousands of groups?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

GFE*.

Glen Canyon is very recognizable ( http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2009/07/99727,xcitefun-glen-canyon-1.jpg ), and the last one probably Antelope canyon. But then you'd know that if you'd simply googled the word "canyon" and chose "images".

And dropping in the chinese picture shows it's made by George Steinmetz, http://www.georgesteinmetz.com/section21 -- but sensibly looking for NationalGeographicMagazine (given the picture's title) in a language you can read (so not Chinese for me) show's it's in Yunnan http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/visions-of-earth/visions-earth-2008#/voe1-field-hills.jpg .

*Google Friggin' Exists.

1. asdf

Yep Glen Canyon is beautiful. The politics can be screwy and the people can be as well but there are few places on this earth as naturally beautiful as the American West. Once you get past Nebraska/Kansas its breathtaking all the way to the ocean.

2. BlueGreen

@Marvin the Martian - fair enough, a dumb idea

@AC 20:34 - fair enough, a dumb post. Thanks for the info though.

6. Dick Emery

Mishapen moon?

Why is the moon so oval?

1. Steve Knox

Re: Mishapen moon?

That's no moon...

7. hungee

It blows my mind

that Apple can afford to give away a free O.S. while at the same time upping the price on new macbooks. It is such an interesting fact that Apple owners are so convinced that they are getting an O.S. for free when their products cost significantly more than other brands with similar products.

It is almost like the cost of O.S. development is an included cost in the product... but no... that can't be it.

I am pretty sure that that can't be it because everyone knows that Apple is the most valuable tech company in the world and also is sitting on 30+% profit margins BECAUSE they give away free products.

Oh, and btw, Windows 8.1 == free == more features & bug fixes... which is sort of like an O.S. upgrade.

I guess really... if you think about it... Microsoft innovated that. So please, say thankyou Apple-ites.

:P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It blows my mind

that Apple can afford to give away a free O.S. while at the same time upping the price on new macbooks. It is such an interesting fact that Apple owners are so convinced that they are getting an O.S. for free when their products cost significantly more than other brands with similar products.

Here is a little exercise for you. Get the price of a similar spec laptop, a bit upmarket so it looks good too, then add all the costs in to make that laptop perform the same functions a plain out-of-the-box Macbook does by default. Work that out for 2 years, so throw in an OS update, all the bandwidth you need for patching, the cost of your time waiting for YADOP (yet another download or patch) to finish so you can actually do some work, and don't forget the anti virus. The Mac needs it too (IMHO), but even that costs less on a Mac.

For added fun, try to find equivalents to software like Omnigraffle Pro (no, Visio is nowhere near the same since MS got its hands on it), Pixelmator (to avoid Adobe) and see just how "cheap" your Windows PC has become. That is, of course, without counting the other savings in time by vastly superior usability and its compliance with Open Standards (a failure IMHO of iWorks, but that at least incorporates saving to a pre-ISObreaking office file format).

Private banks are switching to Macs. They don't so that because it's fashionable, but because it saves them money.

The money argument only works for people who cannot count or who have developed vast infrastructures on MS proprietary components. For intelligent companies and end users it's a no brainer and MS knows this. Do you really think it would have offered something for free otherwise? Microsoft, offering something for free? The only time they do that is if they want to break another company or are desperate to gain or even retain market share (which gives you a glimpse of the future too - expect charges to re-appear once enough people are locked in).

1. dannymot

wow what a lot of bollocks

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But that's untrue - they DROPPED the price of the equivalent spec MacBooks.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am pretty sure that that can't be it because everyone knows that Apple is the most valuable tech company in the world and also is sitting on 30+% profit margins BECAUSE they give away free products.

That argument cuts both ways. MS giving away the 8.1 update is not a function of some sudden benevolence in Redmond, it's because Win 8 wasn't exactly flying off the shelf as they were pretending in the press. 8.1. merely returns what it took away in a misguided effort to force clients yet again onto a new interface without any escape route. You would have thought they learned that lesson with "your mouse moved, accept/deny?" Vista.

Oh, and btw, Windows 8.1 == free == more features & bug fixes... which is sort of like an O.S. upgrade

OSX 10.x upgrades are generally as dramatic as Windows <whatever> changes (95,98, XP, Vista, 7, 8), OSX 10.9 is actually the first one that feels more like a Service Pack equivalent. OSX updates are generally worth the money (especially because one OS upgrade purchase could be legally used to upgrade multiple machines, a fact so far not mentioned) , and I have as yet to experience one failing on me. BTW, as for bug fixes, as of yet, Apple still has no need for a Patch Tuesday to ensure people get any work done in between the rebooting.

1. sandman

"Apple still has no need for a Patch Tuesday to ensure people get any work done in between the rebooting."

Bloody well does this time, several bits of our software that worked perfectly happily until Mavericks was installed just died.

Not proprietary software either, things like the corporate-wide VPN software and Adobe Captivate. Waiting for patch Tuesday now ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That sounds like sloppy developers - Maverics has been available to devs for ages.

2. Jim in Hayward

That's why your company tested everything first and found those 2. Therefor you company has not migrated to Mavericks yet until a solution can be found. What? They moved all 3 of your production machined over to Mavericks without any backup to restore from? Guess your corporate-wide VPN is back down to sneaker net. Well, at least the 3 of you can lose some weight!

3. mevets

I wouldn’t use non functioning Adobe software to make my case. They seem to have taken the lemon crown away from MS.

8. RonWheeler

Wallpaper?

Seriously The Reg / Apple people? WTF?

Google images, find. set...

9. Mr. A
    Trollface

Macs are enterprise!

Ha! You basically got an article on el Reg telling you how to a set a nice background! Proper enterprise stuff this is...

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Handy to know you can dump this stuff if you're short of disk space.

Thanks for that.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really not understanding why Fanbois keep bleating on about the latest OS being free. Apples business model is hardware, Microsoft is software. You expect MS to give away their livelihood for free? Isnt that a little like McDonalds not charging for burgers?

Plus that hefty pricetag you pay (usually twice the price of similar spec PC) for your iMAC pays for your "free" OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Plus that hefty pricetag you pay (usually twice the price of similar spec PC) for your iMAC pays for your "free" OS.

Sure, I guess you pirate the software you use on your "cheap" PC - because that's where you are taken for a ride.

12. Ilsa Loving

Would the lot of you please grow up!

Why does everything always have to turn into a freaking venemous flame war between all the various fanbois/fandroids/microfans/whatever? The only reason I even bother looking at the comments is that there there are usually a couple nice and useful gems buried amongst the vitriolic spew.

I personnally didn't know these photos were even there, because I tend to dismiss the boring, built in images included in OSes. But these are breathtaking! I'm particularly struck by the national geographic photo of the penguins, where the lens is half-in/half-out of the water.

Definitely a wonderful little easter egg, right here.

13. dougal83

I give Apple credit...

Keep the OS pretty much the same with the gaudy grey interface. Windows 8 ... ughhh. Where is my Win7 ISO?

14. Gazman
    Unhappy

Same old, same old

All the Apple OS vs Windows vs Android OS arguments above.

Roll back the clock to c. 1983. Heard by me in school at break ad nauseam:

"My Spectrum is better than your C64'

"Your Spectrum doesn't have a proper keyboard"

"Your C64 is too expensive"

Etc.

When will the notion of "horses for courses" sink in, I wonder?

15. mevets

NatGeo16.jpg

[ penguins on a melting icebery ]

Do you suppose that is a shot at linux/android?

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Just curious. Does anyone dump Max OS and run a Windows install on a Mac?

Given Max's are now about the most expensive versions available of the PC architecture?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like