back to article Does Apple make you puke? Take this iOS 7.0.3 update with your tablets

Apple has released an iOS 7 update that will be welcomed by iPhone and iPad owners who were sickened by the mobile operating system's user interface. We hasten to point out that we're referring to those users actually sickened – made nauseous, dizzy, or given headaches – by their gadgets' zoom-happy interface. For those of you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes.

1. Oh Homer
      Coffee/keyboard

re: "Yes"

Seconded.

In fact Apple made me puke without ever having used an iThing even once in my entire life, much less having run its dysfunctional software.

I got as far as the early part of Messiah Jobs' life, where he stole from his "best friend" and abandoned his daughter to live on welfare, when the initial retching began.

By the time I got to the bit where he was making sinister threats to "go after" charities with thermonuclear patent bombs, whilst brainwashing iCultists with his bi-annual stage show, in which he demonstrated such stunning "innovations" as "rounded rectangles", the carrot-chunks were flowing freely from my gob at an alarming rate, and only continued accelerating at the sight of glazed-eyed cheerleaders doing body-waves to celebrate the opening of new iCult temples.

The revelation that Apple apparently now intends building its own spaceship, to transport iCultists to the Planet Apple, presumably complete with in-flight Kool-Aid, has accelerated my vomit flow to such a rate that it can now literally split atoms.

1. Steve Brooks

Re: re: "Yes"

"presumably complete with in-flight Kool-Aid, has accelerated my vomit flow to such a rate that it can now literally split atoms." Such witty responders as utilising your vomit stream as an interstellar drive to push you all the way out to uranus poured through my head but failed to materialise into anything meaningful so I just decided to leave the toilet humour to those better equiped....(hehehe, I said Ur-anus)

2. heyrick Silver badge

Re: re: "Yes"

"much less having run its dysfunctional software" - having had three different Android phones and then using iOS, I can say that the iPad is the only bog-standard out-of-the-box email client that supports in line quoting instead of a binary choice of quoting the entire message at the end. So, it's not all dysfunctional.

2. Igamogam

You have the choice, don't buy Apple products. I don't like Android phones or Windows computers but I don't whinge about them even when I am forced to use them.

I have no grounds to complain about products I don't choose. If I thought they fitted my needs I'd change, it's obvious and as the rival products are cheaper anyway so it's a no-brainer. Sadly they don't perform as I want – ergo I buy something that does.

Why waste energy griping about other peoples decisions about devices I don't use?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why limit oneself to just one tablet? Buy one of each,

...except Windows because they suck.

2. eSeM

Another bug fix ....

The third bug fix to iOS 7 in just over a month.

That isn't very good, don't they bother to beta test the software?

1. Franklin

Re: Another bug fix ....

As it turns out, writing operating systems is actually hard.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

"...writing operating systems is actually hard."

Nonsense. Petulant children can do it single-handedly, in their third language, and do it very well - Linux.

It's obviously trivial.

2. TheOtherHobbes

>As it turns out, writing operating systems is actually hard.

It's not like developers with beta access didn't point out these features were stupid and annoying.

Just like we pointed out that Apple Maps was crap.

I suppose getting heard after six months is better than never getting heard. But still - it's all so *avoidable*, and shouldn't be hard at all.

3. WhoaWhoa

"Re: Another bug fix ....

As it turns out, writing operating systems is actually hard."

As Apple found out. After trying for several years to come up with its "own" (object oriented) operating system based on the Next stuff Jobs brought with him when returning from his years in exile they cut their losses and abandoned it. Instead they switched to FreeBSD, with which they have stuck ever since, restricting themselves to working on a shiny pointy-clicky layer, aimed at a shiny pointy-clicky fan base, thus playing to their chosen audience and strengths.

1. FrankAlphaXII

That a little bit of an oversimplification. They use FreeBSD components in Darwin, but they also acquired a license to use Mach (as part of the XNU kernel) as NeXTSTEP had, and I'm also pretty sure I/O Kit was developed by Apple with a significant amount of code from NeXTSTEP which provides for use of C++ drivers.

Apple didn't do it on its own, but as someone else said, writing an operating system is no small task. Why do you think Google acquired Android instead of writing their own? And why do you think it runs the Linux kernel?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not a bug fix, it is a new preference option so people can switch off animations they don't want.

1. Annihilator
        Headmaster

"It's not a bug fix, it is a new preference option so people can switch off animations they don't want."

In fairness, it's a new preference option included within a bug fix (the lock screen by-pass and the accelerometer calibration)

3. andreas koch
      WTF?

@ eSeM - Re: Another bug fix ....

>

That isn't very good

. . . <

?

You're kidding, right?

I'm, have it known, not an Apple fan. Not at all. But that doesn't stop me from applauding a company for listening to customer complaints and doing something about it.

How can that be wrong?

They were a lot faster than Microsoft, who took quite a while to give people their start button back when the complaints about Modern/ Metro/ THD* started rolling in.

And Canonical doesn't listen to their customers at all, as it seems. Lucky for me, as I happen to like Unity, but a bother to a lot of other users who left and got all Minty and such. But then, they don't ask for your money, so let's cut some slack there and just get something else if you don't like it.

So, dissing Apple for fixes and changes that users want? No, no and no. You should praise them for it!

And that's from an almost fanatic non-fanboi.

1. andreas koch
        Facepalm

*THD

The Hated Desktop

2. WhoaWhoa

Re: @ eSeM - Another bug fix ....

"... that doesn't stop me from applauding a company for listening to customer complaints and doing something about it."

Haven't (the smarter) customers been complaining about iThing battery replacement strategy ("No you can't, but give us more money and we'll see what we can do") for some years now?

Or are you saying that increasingly gluey insides of Apple things is the sort of "doing something" you had in mind?

("Wanna replace broken bits, do ya? Well, we'll sure as hell do you, you money-losing mor... I mean Customer.)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. emmanuel goldstein

Re: @ eSeM - Another bug fix ....

"You're kidding, right?

I'm, have it known, not an Apple fan. Not at all. But that doesn't stop me from applauding a company for listening to customer complaints and doing something about it.

How can that be wrong?

They were a lot faster than Microsoft, who took quite a while to give people their start button back when the complaints about Modern/ Metro/ THD* started rolling in.

And Canonical doesn't listen to their customers at all, as it seems. Lucky for me, as I happen to like Unity, but a bother to a lot of other users who left and got all Minty and such. But then, they don't ask for your money, so let's cut some slack there and just get something else if you don't like it.

So, dissing Apple for fixes and changes that users want? No, no and no. You should praise them for it!

And that's from an almost fanatic non-fanboi."

i think you should write a musical about it

1. Philip Lewis

Re: @ eSeM - Another bug fix .... @emmanuel goldstein

... and I think you should quote less

3. uhuznaa

Nice work

It's also quite helpful on slower devices as my iPhone 4 where those animations were a bit too timeconsuming.

4. rvt

It didn't made me sick, but i like to crossfade just so much better, i guess mostly because it looks better to my eye.

5. SMabille

Can't wait for Sunday / Monday.. BST->GMT predict the effect contest!

Kiss goodbye to Summer time (or Daylight saving) on Sunday, so the bets are open how iOS 7 / 7.03 will react.

Since iOS 4, not a single major release has been able to cope with the change, usually affecting alarms that are either duplicate, skipped, delayed by 1 or 12 hrs, .... So what do you think will happen this time :-)

QA testing at Apple seems to go down (or marketing/finance pushing harder to release an unpolished product), we are at third minor revision, and we can start to see regression bugs appearing (like the font size control not working in some applications incl. Apple's own "Music" (stuck with giant font size)

6. Mei Lewis

I don't like the animations but am hesitant to upgrade

because almost everytime I do it's a 3 or 4 hour job, restoring all my music, settings etc. as the upgrade fails numerous times before finally sticking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't like the animations but am hesitant to upgrade

I suspect you're a troll because while I'm sure that upgrades have failed, I really doubt that one person has it fail multiple times for every upgrade. If it were me I'd bring it to an Apple store to do my next upgrade in front of a 'genius' and let them solve it.

7. Slap

If Apple had done it right

If Apple had done it right the there would have been 2 options: the first to turn of the parallax effect, and the second to prevent the zooming.

I only objected to the parallax effect as it served absolutely no useful purpose whatsoever, and in the process probably consumed battery. The zooming on the other hand was only a brief bit of eye candy, and also usefully indicated which app you had just "backgrounded", but ultimately was also a waste of processor cycles, as quite frankly is the fade effect we have now.

Either way it's no biggie for me. My main problem is that since the update to 7.0.3 my iPhone won't actually finish syncing. Well, it does, but iTunes doesn't seem to think so. Mind you I did upgrade to Mavericks and update iTunes before I installed iOS 7.0.3, so maybe I'm just simply asking for problems. That's life at the bleeding edge though.

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

They also fixed the white on white on white...

The browser's All White theme was unhelpful when dealing with white text entry boxes like this. Made it pure luck to push in the right place. It's now a darker theme.

(I don't think I changed anything to cause the darker, better, colour scheme.)

9. Boredismkills

>:(

The new update doesnt even fix the bugs, why cant apple just take the old update os7 and call it os8 since none of the friggin new updates work?! Like seriously i cant even do anything not even with the new update 7.0.3!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like