back to article Hands on: We play with the slippery Lumia 1520, Nokia's first phondleslab

Sometimes you have to leave prejudices aside. To me, phondleslabs (or phablets) – phones with large screens – are inconvenient and slightly ludicrous. If you saw somebody talking into a plate, you’d think they had gone mad. But that’s by-the-by. An amazing number and variety of people find phondleslabs useful. Such as people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better camera than anything available on IOS or Android has me sold.....

1. Bodhi

Considering in lab conditions a recent test put the 1020 behind the Xperia Z1 and iPhone 5S, you may wish to reconsider.....

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Sony-Xperia-Z1-overview-Serious-challenger-to-Nokia-Lumia-1020

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dozens of other reviews - professional and otherwise put the 1020 firmly is first place. I think I trust the majority view....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Considering in lab conditions a recent test put the 1020 behind the Xperia Z1 and iPhone 5S, you may wish to reconsider....."

That site scores photos from the Lumia 1020 at 79/100 versus the Sony Xperia Z1 at 77/100 and the iPhone 5S at 78/100......

Also it doesn't seem that they have re-tested the 1020 since the couple of camera improvement related firmware updates, or the new camera apps....I suspect that the gap in favour of the Lumia is now somewhat larger....

1. Bodhi

And Sony have improved the camera software in the Z1 as well. Also bear in mind that this phablet won't have the same camera as the 1020 (41Mp plays 20), so I'd say the OP was even wider of the mark.

3. Cornholio

I seem to recall that the 1020 scored behind the iPhone when video performance was considered in addition to stills. Stills only put the Nokia ahead.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Microsoft wanted to put itself ahead of Apple it could do one simple thing, allow 3rd party keyboards.

That's one thing I moved to Android for. I was tired of being a "pecker", someone tapping away at a screen.

3. Roo

"By next summer a major Windows Phone overhaul should be available to fix these niggles"

Does the author know for sure the (presumably ongoing) Windows Phone overhaul will address those niggles or does he mean that he feels Microsoft is morally obliged to fix it's product ?

I'm guessing the latter, because Microsoft's track record in fixing niggles is pretty poor. For example Excel went through over a decade of releases without ever addressing the ~65K row limit, that was a major niggle in a major product.

1. GaryBarber

I've always thought that if you've reached the point where just over 65000 rows in a spreadsheet isn't sufficient for what you want to do, then perhaps a spreadsheet isn't really the best way to be doing it.

Good luck to Microsoft and Nokia.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"if you've reached the point where just over 65000 rows in a spreadsheet isn't sufficient "

You know the limit in Excel is over 2 million rows?

1. Roo

"if you've reached the point where just over 65000 rows in a spreadsheet isn't sufficient "

Sometimes you don't get to choose your tools. Cygwin was a huge leap forward not so long ago. It was heartbreaking to be working on problems tailor made for a bit of awk + sed magic with Excel. I sometimes found a way to move those ad-hoc one-shot problems onto a UNIX box, so it wasn't a one sided battle. ;)

"You know the limit in Excel is over 2 million rows?"

I was under the impression it was ~2^20 (as of Excel 2010).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah ! This one's for me

Finally a phone that befits my failing eyesight. I will most certainly be giving it a try when the battery on my 4S finally dies, which I estimate to be in a month or three.

Very well done, Nokia, there is hope still.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah ! This one's for me

Like almost all Windows Phone users, you will be ebaying a month afterwards, once you discover all that's tiles in not gold...

Get get a cheaper Android phone and Big Launcher, or Launcher7 if you really want ugly active tiles interface....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Get get a cheaper Android phone"

If you want inferior glitch and laggy performance, a dated UI, and lots of Malware and Adware....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Like almost all Windows Phone users, you will be ebaying a month afterwards, once you discover all that's tiles in not gold..."

Nice trolling attempt, but in reality Windows Phone gets far higher user satisfaction ratings than Android phones....

5. Lottie

Mid range

Well that's a lot of phone for the price.

I get the feeling that in the low to mid price range, MS/Nokia are giving Android a run for their money. My contract is coming up soon-ish and I have to say that Nokia are making some very tempting mobes for my money.

1. Robert Grant

Re: Mid range

They've got some very cool stuff coming out, and as a WP user (who didn't eBay it after a month, same as most people) it's been a good OS for me. I have a Nexus 7 as well, which is cool but to be honest the app selection is so ridiculous, and it pops up adverts loads and a lot of the apps don't fit a tablet screen. I think I like the idea of Android more than Android itself :)

I enjoy the apps of some of the very committed WP devs, who write some awesome stuff. Best Instagram client I've ever seen is 6tag; won't replace it with the official one when it comes out. Such a beautiful app.

And check out the WP dev tools. So, so nice. I know you need W8, which sucks, but they are light years ahead of adk in terms of productivity. The fact that it's C# and there will never be an R compilation error equivalent (because it's there at language level) sells it to me over Android development :)

6. Chris D Rogers

Sounds go to me

But one enquiry - how much does it cost in Hong Kong?

Yesterday's revised iPad and iPad mini on average are 28% cheaper here in HK than the UK - that's a bloody huge saving, so interested in this for sure as normal smartphones are just too small for my ageing eyes and and useless onscreen typing skills - never been able to text, so its a phablet or chic-bar phone I'm afraid.

7. Zola
    WTF?

The last ever 'proper' Nok?

Surely that was the N9, or maybe the 808.

Lumias have never had that feeling of being truly "Nokia" - maybe it was the fact they were made by Compal on behalf of Nokia, or ran a non-Nokia OS, but so little about them was Nokia apart from the branding and industrial design.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: The last ever 'proper' Nok?

"but so little about them was Nokia apart from the branding and industrial design."

...erm - and the comprehensive suite of navigation, augmented reality, imaging and social networking apps.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

question for bigphone users

Does anyone really hold them up to their lug for that Dom Joly look, or do they tend to use a Bluetooth wireless (or even a wired) headset?

9. Anomalous Cowturd
    Meh

So, in summary...

Nice phone, but the operating system is still a bit shite.

Will the new Nokia Co. still be allowed to make phones / slabs with a different OS?

I live in hope.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snake

Does it have snake?

1. RyokuMas

Re: Snake

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/snake-97/a9efa10f-fb0e-4437-9aa2-088db7e04a47

:)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Urgh

Is it just me or do those pics, especially that first one, make this look absolutely hideous ? Do not want. Still waiting with cash for an N900 type successor by whoever makes it, i.e. Linux (no Ubuntu images for my current Note unfortunately).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

phor phuk phake

Can't we just call them massive mobiles?

13. Paul Shirley

"upgradeable. I’d be surprised if this one wasn’t."

"Microsoft has remained mute on whether today’s models will be upgradeable. I’d be surprised if this one wasn’t."

How quickly you forget the same wishful thinking over WP7->8 upgrades, that only ended when MS finally admitted it wasn't happening just before launch of WP8.

14. Endymion

Looks like a nice device. I don't understand the comment about phablets being too large to fit in pockets, or needing a handbag or manbag to tote one around - my note 3 fits easily into the pockets of every garment I own. It saves me carrying a tablet, which is a major bonus.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like