back to article LOHAN's vital statistics splashed across fruity display

Our Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission has just been served an extra slice of Raspberry Pi in the form of an all-singing, all-dancing balloon chase system. Hydrogen helium head honcho and electronics wrangler Dave Akerman decided haring around the countryside in pursuit of mighty orbs would be a whole lot …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Custard
    Terminator

RotM

I dunno, you add any more processing power to the thing it's going to become self-aware.

All it needs now though is another Pi especially programmed to take evasive action when confronted with trees, hillsides, pylons and other such attractants. Or at least to get itself down from them without intervention of meatsack and ladder.

Looks a nice bit of kit though - obligatory beer to be raised and suitable acronym name competition to follow I presume?

2. M Gale

Pi powered planes, and you're using technology created by a man called Tony Stirk.

What's not to love?

3. James Hughes 1

OpenVG!

I'm sure Dave will turn up to give out the specs, but in the meantime, the code is written for Linux using OpenVG, so uses the HW acceleration of the Raspi for its output. I think he forgoes X completely, so it's a fast, easy to use system.

1. daveake

Re: OpenVG!

Yes, all true. Graphics use the OpenVG C library so no X at all. Total CPU for the whole thing (GPS receiver, video streaming, chase car upload, display update) runs at around 10%; without the h/w acceleration it'd be 100%!

Dave

4. AndyS

This needs a name.

May I humbly suggest the "Main Interface between LOHAN and Expedition Yobs"?

1. Thomas Whipp

Re: This needs a name.

Compare

Orb

Movement

Path

And

Support

Sect

2. M Gale

Re: This needs a name.

Total Information For Knowledge About Mission?

Just because.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

about the BRASTRAP

Can you program it to perform in the event that the mission is going to go in the drink? Well, before the mission would end up in the drink?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: about the BRASTRAP

We don't need to program it - if the payload's heading towards oblivion, we can abort the mission from the ground.

6. I Am Spartacus
    Pint

This looks so much fun

So obligatory beer whilst I am stuck in a London office.

7. Martin Budden Silver badge

LOHAN has a STALKER

Simple Telemetry And Live Kompass Electronic Readout

Sorry about the K, it was the best I could manage. Improvements welcome!

1. Vulch

Re: LOHAN has a STALKER

Hmmm, "Kinetics" instead as it's relating to motion?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: LOHAN has a STALKER

Thanks Vulch, that works perfectly!

Simple Telemetry And Live Kinetics Electronic Readout

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like