back to article Now swallow: Microsoft hands out cure for Surface RT tabs killed by Win 8.1

Microsoft has quietly released a recovery image for Surface RT tablets rendered unusable by bugs in last week's upgrade to Windows RT 8.1. The image can be downloaded here, along with a short instruction sheet explaining how to create a bootable recovery drive using any PC running Windows 7 or later and any USB drive larger …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Serves you right

And maybe this can serve as a proverbial lesson to all the know-it-alls who:

1) willingly seek out the latest with blind acceptance, with the belief of "new = better"

2) adopt said new technology without proof of functional ability, due to said acceptance

But your types are too arrogant to accept your own errors of judgement so I guess this little object lesson never really happened.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Serves you right

Thank your deity that they do actually exist because if not there would be no testing of anything in the real world situations..

If everyone behaved as you do then we would ALL be in a sorry state....

1. Natalie Gritpants

OK> Not sorry at all.

OK> Sent from my BBC model A

1. Anonymous C0ward

Mistake

>_

1. traceyfields

{

Mistake

>_

}

exercise: count number of upvotes to this reply. based on this, calculate number of Reg readers who cut their teeth on beebs... :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Deity grade output

"If everyone behaved as you do then we would ALL be in a sorry state...."

Wrong!!!!! No, Mr. I Missed the Point, we would not have software / firmware "releases" that qualify as Beta grade because developers would DEBUG IT WELL THEMSELVES RATHER THAN LOOK FOR CUSTOMER FEEDBACK TO DO IT.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Deity grade output

@◘AC 05:00

I think you will find that it is an almost impossible task to completely debug any application, above a certain complexity, which is 100% fit for the general public.

It it the market that defines the necessity for ever increasing updates, service packs and versions. This increase creates the terrible situation of reducing software quality. It's easy to spot, all of the big players are guilty of it, MS, Apple, Google and even linux to a certain extent.

If I addition the amount of downtime that I have had in the last 20 years it would add up to a tiny tiny percentage of the uptime, I find this more than acceptable... Maybe you require 100% uptime, in that case write your own dsoftware, when you are finished writing it, we will see how you fare.

2. Tom 35

I didn't know where it went...

(It's a tiny link in the lower left corner of the File History control panel)

in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard"

I think some manager said to make Windows 8 less complex, and another manager said to hide anything that looked complex. Problem solved.

3. Steve Brooks

Unfortunately, with a world moving more and more to tablets, this is going to be an issue for the future to deal with. I know entire households that have basically thrown the old computer paradigm out with the old computer and now exist solely on smartphones and tablets, no PC to actually make the bootable drives. It has looked for a while that the humble home service tech was an industry that was simply going to vanish, now I see some hope, if the tablets require a PC to make a recovery disk, and no one except your local friendly service tech actually owns a PC or laptop the industry does indeed look bright.

1. James Chaldecott

Interesting point.

Luckily you can quite easily make a USB recovery drive from a Surface RT. :-) The procedure is reasonably widely documented, as I think a fair few people do it to free up a few GB of the internal storage. (Note that an alternative to hunting for it in Control Panel is to just type "recovery" on the Start Screen.)

I believe I was prompted to do it as part of the process of installing the 8.1 Preview. I actually used the recovery image to go back to 8.0 before installing 8.1 RTM. It turned out to be surprisingly quick (not actually *quick*, you understand, but quicker than I was expecting for "reinstall OS from image on USB2 stick".)

Not sure what you're supposed to do with an iPad, unless you live near an Apple Store. What about android devices? Any way to create a recovery image for them? I'm genuinely interested, now.

4. Hans 1
    Boffin

Always, always wait for SP1 ...

5. Tom Chiverton 1

Eh ?

"can't boot a recovery disk made by an Intel-based PC."

I assure you it can; that's what the MS fix is !

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1 out of every 1000...

So what you're saying is that only 1 person was affected?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Update available later today.

The 'Paid' (anagram) Permanent fix for Windows RT will be available on the 22nd October 2013. Surface RT was pretty much a paper weight to start with, before applying the update.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like