back to article Is that a failed Outlook security update in your pocket or are you pleased to phish me?

Web criminals have fired off Patch Tuesday-themed phishing emails to trick confused users into handing over their login details. Their messages attempt to convince users into visiting a website masquerading as a Microsoft Exchange system, which tries to coax visitors into handing over their email accounts' address and password …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

I Wouldn't Buy a Car from Him

In the scam, victims are asked to submit an "error code" as well as their email account access credentials, a nice touch that elevates the whole con from entirely implausible to "WTF, you'd have to be daft to fall for this".

Which is the point: create a self-selecting group that will fall for anything. It always sounds as though scammers are not too bright from their pitch, but they are really trying to speak to their natural prey in a way that filters out anyone that might give them grief.

1. Old Handle

Re: I Wouldn't Buy a Car from Him

I donno, I can imagine introducing an extra, confusing, element might work well on less technically inclined users. They're be thinking "Oh dear, oh dear, error code? Oh it's right here the email, alright I can handle this... I'll just follow these directions very carefully...". Whereas if the email has been more direct "click here to download the latest patch" or whatever, they might have stopped to think about whether it was legit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or it could be an email from corporate security

They send out emails like this every so often, and when some of the employees fall for it, they're taken out back for a beatin'

Anon of course, but I think it's an awesome idea, these idiots deserve it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like