back to article Rich in Philadelphia? Your new phone can be put in your hands TODAY

Lost your phone? Want it replaced in a hurry? If you live in Philadelphia, you can have a new one brought to your doorstep today if you buy it from Verizon Wireless. In a flashback to the misguided excesses of the 1990s dot-com bubble, Verizon is following the lead of such e-tailers as Amazon, eBay, and Walmart by launching a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian Miller

$20 qualifies as "affluent" service?

That's a pretty low standard, isn't it? And $5 added for limited same-day delivery and receipt instead of overnight isn't so bad.

Has someone been forgetting to feed the vultures, so $5 seems princely? Hmmm?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Why, then, Verizon would choose Philadelphia as its test market for same-day service – a city with a median household income of about $34,000 – is a bit of a head-scratcher."

IMHO it is because the wealth-earning areas of Philadelphia are concentrated. Philly does not have a large city core and the big money businesses, as well as the homes of the people who work in them, are in relatively clustered locales. In order to be "same day" the deliveries must, therefore, be by personal courier; trying the program out in a small service, but wealthy, area serves as a test bed. New York et al has money spread out more, across a larger area of the metropolis, and it is harder to promise that delivery schedule on a first-run basis.

Oh, and I must add: I guess it is just too damn much for these FAT LAZY MILLENNIALS to actually go in PERSON to the Verizon shop, which is probably next to the favorite Starbucks, [their] Mecedes-Benz dealer, their favorite restaurant or the Apple store anyway?

3. Aremmes

Not just for the stonkingly rich

In my experience, those who can hardly make ends meet yet still buy smartphones and pay the extended replacement warranty will be the ones to fork the $20 for this new service. The rich will just direct an employee to pick it up for them.

4. MacGyver

Umm. 6 figure 18 year old?

That would be called an allowance, or maybe a trust fund payment.

Unless they are a drug dealer, how exactly does one straight of out high-school "earn" a six figure salary?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chives

I was rich in Philadelphia once, but it all went out of date before I could convert it into a more durable currency.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like