back to article Apple's Oct 22 WORLD-SHAKING San Fran party: New iPads or what?

Apple has confirmed rumours of a product rollout event on October 22 in San Francisco, sending invites to lucky journalists this Tuesday morning. Invitation for Apple's October 22, 2013 product-rollout event And exactly how many new products add up to 'a lot', Mr Cook? As is always the case in such invitations, Apple is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl

Highly Likely

My guess is iPad 5C - last year's iPad available in a bunch of gaudily coloured plastic cases.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Highly Likely

Since they don't officially number the iPad since the iPad2, my guess is you're wrong.

Kind of excited by an iPad5 though, every generation has been a big step up in CPU/GPU and I work on stuff which pushes the iPad to its limits.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Again it's all pure speculation with a dose of guesswork but in a week we'll know.

New iPad and iPad mini seems almost certain. Updated MacBooks and Mac Minis also very likely. Maverics at the same time - no brainer since it went final just the other day. Mac Pro has been announced so could move to release.

Suspect a new Apple TV set-top box could be on the cards.

I'd like to see them voice enable iPads so if someone wants a phablet they can at least have a decent one.

1. ThomH

Mavericks is a no-brainer only if you assume Apple still has any interest in showcasing it. Mountain Lion was announced via their web site, and its release date was unveiled as part of the Q3 earnings call. Mavericks managed to ascend to the WWDC keynote for its announcement but the Q4 earnings call is on Monday the 28th so they might easily just upload it to the App Store and not comment until then.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With the colourful invites and the words "lot to cover" I'd say its fairly certain the main items on the agenda will be new colourful iPads.

Everything else, as usual in recent years, be prepaired to be disappointed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That explains the mass "Squeeeeee" I just heard.

3. Martin 47

I am starting to think that the 'iwatch' is just a red herring put out to send competitors of on a wild Goose chase.

I would find that quite amusing

1. namke
      Thumb Up

Yep, I've been thinking that for a while too... 'twould make me laugh

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't be from Apple

There's no 'Revolutionary' anywhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't be from Apple

So you can say that because you have see a week into the future?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doh!

Quote Advert

We still have a lot to cover

Quote Title to advert

And exactly how many new products add up to 'a lot', Mr Cook?

These do not alway mean the same thing. Being slightly pedantic, Tim Cook sould mean that he has a lot of things to talk about with some of them being product announcemets yet the El Reg title seems to imply that unless there as a huge number of product announements it will be a failure.

We shall just have to sit back and wait and see what happens won't we? Or are the Apple haters so impatient that anything less than the 20+ product announcements they expect they will all end up saying that apple is about to file for Chapter 11 with a week.

1. unwarranted triumphalism

Impatient?

Speak for yourself. I'm shorting their shares right now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Impatient?

Or is that what you tell everyone as you are quietly buying?

2. Ged T
      Facepalm

Re: Doh!

It could be literal - Apple vould be announcing a whole new range of covers, in an exciting range of textures and colours, for their products...

6. Captain DaFt

Is it just me?

But this looks like an arse spraying multicolored defecation. And with the tagline, "We still have a lot to cover"? Eewwww!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Is it just me?

It took me a little while to see that it could actually be a bare arse, of someone lying face down, about to have a suppository inserted.

1. Martin 47

I was going with 'aromatic farts' but yes I can see where your coming.

But, for some reason, aromatic farts seems to work quite well.

2. Ted Treen

We see what we want to see...

2. rcorrect

But this looks like an arse spraying multicolored defecation. And with the tagline, "We still have a lot to cover"? Eewwww!

What the hell dude?

7. Homer 1
    Meh

Apple announces more of the same, but plastic.

Crowd goes "yawn".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I think they're launching ground breaking coloured covers for all the other products!

MacOSX now in green

iPad Mini in yellow

Macbooks in purple and of course gold.

9. Jolyon Smith

A lot to cover...

Thinking a little more literally ....

Only one Apple product needs a "cover"... the iPad.

Needing to cover "a lot" could be a clue at a bigger iPad - a rumour recently scotched, but perhaps Apple have managed to keep a larger iPad successfully under the radar. Highly unlikely, but possible.

Or it could just be a significant number of iPad announcements.

Could be anything but why bother running around in circles trying to second-guess. The 22nd isn't so far away that just waiting won't kill anyone. :)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: A lot to cover...

>Only one Apple product needs a "cover"... the iPad.

I like your lateral thinking... maybe an iPad cover that offers functionality in some way (Thinking of MS's new Surface cover that has audio mixer controls instead of qwerty keys [reminds me of concept keyboards]... pity Window's audio subsystem is a mess, though; for plinky-plonky things best off with OSX/iOS, it will save some headaches)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely an increased resolution iPad mini would be considered "a lot to cover"?

3. stu 4

Class - I like the workthrough - but have you won the holiday or dustybin* !

*321 reference

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking at the comments...

This must be where bored people come.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Looking at the comments...

Uh, There's another reason to be reading idle speculation other than boredom?

It's either this, read the comments on the foody blog about what the next Ben & Jerry's flavor might be... or more cat videos.

Tuesdays suck.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lots of jealous fandroids waiting for this as of course 6 months after Apple do it the others will follow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yup, I'm expecting those multi coloured plastic phones from Nokia, Samsung, etc. any day now. Maybe a fingerprint reader from Motorola.

More like "6 months after Apple do it, the fanboys will have rewritten history to reflect that Apple invented everything and the others copied it."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jealous? Sometimes (availability of third party peripherals especially), but I paid my money and made my choice. Some things Android does better, often due to there being more involved parties, and some things iOS does better - for much the same reason.

Shit, I haven't been a 'fanboy' for one thing over another since I had a Gravis Ultrasound card (and then for good reason: a larger user base might lead to more software developer support)

2. ThomH

Having now been able to try them both, Apple's fingerprint sensor is the same sort of thing as Motorola's in the same sense that a modern scanner is the same sort of thing as a fax machine. This is a case of Apple waiting for the technology to be made sufficiently useful by external forces before implementing it.

12. Bucky O' Hare

Mac Mini

Expect to see an updated version of the Mac Mini. A decent little Mac if you don't want to spend too much and don't need something too powerful.

Buy the entry level model for £499 and get a separate Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse and you've got a cheap little Mac, perfect for surfing, XCode'ing etc...

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: Mac Mini

Is that the cheapest way to get OSX? Or is there a budget Hackintosh that can better that price without too much compromise?

13. asdf

please please

With any luck OS X Mavericks will support the ATI 48xx series cards. From what I have read Apple actually for once reversed course and didn't use their yearly service pack posing as an OS release to force obsolete a bunch of machines. Crossing fingers.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What to expect? Nexus 5 (and possibly 10v2) launch the day before .... now that's something to look forward to!

15. rcorrect

Quick

Summon the analyst immediately!

16. stu 4

Er.. missing the hints surely??

Usually these invites have a subtle hint in them ?

Here we have a bunch of colours (ios7 shades) and 'alot to cover'

I'd have thought coloured ipads are the most likely, maybe a return of coloured macs.

yeh I know - ground breaking....but it would make more sense than most of the rumours, which seem to involve the need to innovate...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Lot to Cover

Macbooks where the outside cover can be used as a tablet.

18. jubtastic1

Us old timers remember the real reason you got banned, Jagwire.

10.2, released August 2002.

The sad thing is he's dead and the people that made the joke have moved on and your reviews of Apple products are generally balanced, I think it's just the click bait Apple stories and your own determination to remain uninvited that's keeping you out of these events now.

19. bishoprock

Looking forward to hearing about the latest shop fit out

20. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Whooppieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

21. Richard Pennington 1

Earth-shaking ... or just shaky?

Of course, San Francisco is just the place for an earth-shaking announcement.

How does this one score on the Richter scale?

22. EPurpl3

They have probably took a dump and now they are asking the news editors to praise its greatness and it's smell, like always.

23. MArijaPetreska

Find out Which are the Top 5 Features of the New OS X Mavericks!

Possibilities include presentations with the focus of the new iPads, Apple TV and the redesigned Mac Pro and OS X Mavericks ==> http://www.deluxebattery.com/find-out-which-are-the-top-5-features-of-the-new-os-x-mavericks/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like