back to article Oracle drops shedload of CRITICAL vuln-busting Java patches

Oracle's autumn batch of quarterly updates included no fewer than 127 security fixes, including 51 for Java alone. The arrival of the Critical Patch Update (CPU) from Oracle means pretty much all of the enterprise server packages from the software giant need patching. Oracle Database Server, Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bladeforce

Do Oracle and Microsoft share programmers? I often wonder if these two best mates are fighting over wanting the coveted "most security holes award of all time" trophy lmao

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anybody else find it has completely borked their corporate web vpn?

We use Citrix for ours, and now no one that upgraded their home machines (pcs or macs) last night can dial in to the network remotely.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

That's security for you - no worries mate, it will be fixed in the next patch.

2. storner
      Facepalm

It has also borked the national danish single-signon service "NemID", which everyone is compelled to use for logging into banks, tax systems, health care, ... anything. The official message right now is "don't upgrade, and if you did then here is how to downgrade".

3. Tom Chiverton 1

Still tries to foist Ask on you *in a security update*

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Hold on - how?

I just download the 64 Linux zip file. Uncompress. Set symlink from PATH. Done...

2. grammarpolice

You're running Windows, so you clearly enjoy a load of crap being installed on your machine.

4. Eponymous Cowherd
    Trollface

Holes

"Oracle's biz suites have more holes than a Swiss cheese"

Unlike their boat.

Perhaps they should just stick to what they are good at and forget the whole computer tech thing?

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Cal that a patch?

And now the patches patches patches have been patched once again ... you would think by this time that someone would have sat down and said, "It's time to rewrite the entire environment"

6. tony2heads
    WTF?

Is that the same Oracle that said that open source is crap?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/15/oracle_says_open_source_has_no_place_in_military_apps/

Seems that the biblical saying about the mote in the eye is about right

7. Elmer Phud
    WTF?

Loopy

Trying to update 64bit Flash and just get a website page loop.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Loopy

Flash?? I think that's another company's bailywick?

1. Elmer Phud

Oh, I dunno - one of the many updates

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coffee/keyboard

It's been that way for a couple of weeks. Although, before it was trying to run the .deb on my Fedora machine.

8. jonfr

They also want to add ask spyware

Oracle also wants to add the ask spy-ware / adware to your computer free of charge. I don't know who at Oracle thinks this is smart, because it's not and this is just speeding up development for an open source replacement of java.

1. sysconfig

Re: They also want to add ask spyware

the Open Source variant is already there, and is called OpenJDK. Works just fine with most things. [1]

[1] In terms of Java "most things" means for me: server-side stuff. The "build once, run anywhere" slogan hasn't applied to client-side Java for about 5 years, if not more, because of the increasing dependency on operating system support (see article).

2. Z80

Re: They also want to add ask spyware

They also provide installers without potentially unwanted extras.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

1. fch
        Trollface

Re: They also provide installers without potentially unwanted extras...

... you mean, they really bother creating a no-op installer, something that just pretends to install java but doesn't ?

(can imagine Oracle charging for that one ...)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like