back to article PSP patent gets gadget geeks guessing

We're not sure who found it first, but a patent has been issued in the US (numbered 20070123309), which highlights just how Sony might allow the PlayStation Portable to become a cellular handset. The news is all over gadget sites this week and is accompanied by the drawings below. In essence, it is a simple way to rotate the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito

Just an app

The patent hasn't been issued, they just published the application. Big difference? Who knows, they start counting from the date it was filed but the number of patents declined has been going up lately which is good news.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a patent, yet

20070123309 is a patent application, not an actual patent. While it often seems like we have 20 billion patents in the US, we're not quite there, yet.

3. Dillon Pyron

Who needs the Patent Office?

Everything worth patenting has already been patented.

4. Jay Zelos

Patently Absurd

A patent application to rotate a screen 180 degrees.

How novel, would never have thought of that one...

J

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And I assume

... That they're gonna get on Nokia's arse after this because it so happens that Nokia made such a phone (although the purpose of the filp was to give the screen a landscape view for DVB-H)?

Typical of Sony bustids. Steal someone's idea, call it their own, and demand the other person cough up.

6. wim

nothing new to see here

Atari did this already with their handheld called lynx.

the idea for the Lynx was that you could rotate the screen 180 degrees for equal playability for left and right handed persons.

7. Dan P

What's the point?

What's the point of rotating the screen? Why not just rotate the whole phone? I have an SPV M600, and use landscape mode all the time without having to revert to patented mechanisms to make it landscape. Perhaps I should patent the method of holding the phone in your hand, and then rotating it through 90 degrees!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Patently Absurd

Jay,

"A patent application to rotate a screen 180 degrees."

Not necessarily, look a little closer and you might find the application is for a type of hinge that allows a data connection to be sustained in all positions.

A new "invention", if you will, rather than an idea for an invention.

That's how patents work, you see -- "things" not "thoughts".

9. John Nieurzyla

GPS

I was hoping it was Sony getting its act together and making with a GP{S add on more true mobility and help. It one of the few with a decent battery life where it would actually work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like