back to article Google refunds two dollars for cop jobs ad on biker website

Google will reportedly refund two Australian dollars – that's $US1.89 or £1.19 – after an ad placed by Victoria Police appeared on the website of the Mongols motorcycle club. The backdrop to the refund is a dramatic series of raids last Thursday that saw Victoria Police, providers of thin blue line as a service for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge
    Trollface

The Australian Police Minister has now "temporarilly" disbanded a group of "Mongols", slightly diminshing the groups drug and gun stockpile and having "successfully" claimed damages from Google.

Total loss for the Mongols, about nothing... It's merely a setback....

Total loss for the police... probably a few hundred thousand dollars, maybe even into the millions, plus the temporary lack of backhanders and all of this for a return sum of .........$1.89...... and that was only because Google placed an inappropriate ad......

The police minister must be proud of that ehhhh.

Everyone knows that the drug market is a lucrative business but no-one ever seem to tackle the root of the problem. You can't stop drugs being sold whilst the market is crying out for them.... It's all smoke and mirrors....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree....

...while we're at it, we'll ignore the rapes, murders, muggings, armed robberies and other viloent acts that these lovely people deal in shall we, after all, it's only a bit of weed they are dealing in.

That way we can save a couple of quid.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: I agree....

Oh yeah right, the Mongols should be collectively punished for rapes, murders, muggings, armed robberies and other viloent acts .

Should we also collectively punish all the Romans for putting Christ on a cross.

Should we collectively punish all the Australians for destroying the great barrier reef, for speaking with funny accents and drinking too much beer.

Should we collectively punish all of the Americans for being fat

Where and how do you define the limits of collective punishment.

The majority of people in groups are just sheep following wolfs. You don't punish the sheep in order to stop the wolf.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Romanes Eunt Domus

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: I DIS-agree....

"You don't punish the sheep in order to stop the wolf."

That's exactly what you *should* do. It might wake the sheep up and stop them giving all that 'follower' power to the wolves.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Once a sheep .......always a sheep.... ( Hint : It's in their genes).

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes when your Boss, Wife, Local MP, etc does something wrong.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"I wouldn't like to be in your shoes when your Boss, Wife, Local MP, etc does something wrong."

Your comment made me smile at least :)

Baaah.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>Your comment made me smile at least :)

Then at least I have done one good thing for the day.

Woof woof.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

we'll ignore the rapes, murders, muggings, armed robberies and other viloent [sic] acts that these lovely people deal in shall we, after all, it's only a bit of weed they are dealing in.

Right, because if weren't for the weed these lovely people would all be perfect models of society and the crimes you listed would never ever be committed by anyone anywhere.

2. Tim Bates

"The Australian Police Minister"

Victorian Police Minister... Not The Australian Police Minister. He is Australian (if you count Victoria as Australia), and he is a minister for policing. But this guy doesn't represent all of Australia's police.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Noise

Noisey pipes lose rights

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aussie Plod Rides Roughshod Over Owners of Hogs?

4. Intractable Potsherd

Are Australian Hell's Angels different from the UK ones? I've known several chapter members over the years (one of my best friends used to be one, and still looks the part), and the worst they ever seemed to do was ride whilst somewhat over the alcohol limit. Certainly nothing to get draconian non-association orders over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

From your description, it sounds like the UK Hell's Angels are very different from the Australian ones. In Australia a very sizeable portion of the illegal drug trade is carried out by various outlawed bikie gangs (including Hell's Angels), most of which are frequently involved in violent turf wars. There may be some cuddly individuals in those gangs, but on the whole outlaw bikies are best avoided.

NOTE: there are also many legit motorcycle clubs who exist purely as social groups for motorcycle enthusiasts, these clubs are entirely harmless and are not to be confused with the dangerous outlaw bikie gangs.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to Google, "2 Australian Dollar equals 1.19 British Pound Sterling".

6. cortland

Odd that

They didn't notice the Mongols' trademark was seized by the US 'waaay back in 2008. It was even reported here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/22/doj_seizes_biker_trademark/

Do the US and Oz have a reciprocal trademark agreement?

Any actual Mongols should have been put on a boat back to the nearest Mongolian port. Right?

Bon voyage.

Info: http://www.indexmundi.com/mongolia/coastline.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like