back to article Reg readers rise to Vulture 2 paintjob challenge

Fans of our Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission have outdone themselves in offering suggestions as to just how we should paint our magnificent Vulture 2 spaceplane. Given that the world's first 3D-printed, rocket-powered vehicle is currently a bit lacking in the visibility department, as you can see from this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge

The James Windmill design

Looks hard to beat. Flying the colors and all that.

You may want to put a message in Spanish on there saying "Sorry this came through your front window. We'll be along soon to apologize in person. "

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: The James Windmill design

Excellent suggestion, but what if LOHAN prefers back-door entry?

2. 7-zark-7

The Andy McDonald design for understated Britishness looks pretty good too.

1. The First Dave

I quite like the design by Ross Sully, partly because it reminds me of the gorgeous "Miss Demeanour"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Military green, with Korean lettering

It'd be a blighter to find if lost, but think of the panic and subsequent free press coverage if found by a member of the public. Perhaps a painted note on the fuselage asking the finder to contact the military attache at the North Korean embassy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Military green, with Korean lettering

Perhaps a painted note on the fuselage asking the finder to contact the military attache at the North Korean embassy

With a postscript to wash your hands thoroughly if you've touched it...

3. Don Jefe

I think you should paint it clear.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about lettering??

"I am not an Israeli spy plane" in Arabic in case Vulture 2 goes off course and lands in an Arab country? Don't write "vulture" anywhere on the plane, by the way.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/05/spy_vulture/

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: How about lettering??

Just paint it black with "NSA" is ominous red lettering on it. It'll be fine...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Re: How about lettering??

Oh come on, everyone knows that photographic intelligence is run by the National Reconnaissance Office!

5. Faye B

Plus silver wingtips

Oops, I just entered a colour scheme piccy but forgot to add that the wingtips (rudders) could be silver.

6. Shades

"Shades at the ready as we reveal your startling liveries"

Wait, what am I doing now? Nobody told me about this, let me put some pants on!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

National flag

If the team are working out of Spain should it not be in painted in a variation of the Spanish airforce livery? Red, Gold, Red coloured bands , with lots of jagged lightning bolts.

8. silent_count
    Alien

Gotta have a little fun with the UFO nuts

Plain white with with text on the fuselage: "Greetings from Amanfrommars" among a random selection of glyphs from the matrix screen saver. And arrange the denser and sparser glyphs so it looks like El Reg's vulture logo from a distance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gotta have a little fun with the UFO nuts

You're onto something!

But rather than celebrating Amanfrommars' often unintelligible output, what about a selection of some of the commentariat's more reviled/celebrated/interesting posts, painted as fluorescent green against a black background in a fixed phosphor dot style font? Part Matrix, part Tron, part commentard.

9. Ian Knight

Glad to see at least one of my 5 attempts to send a simple email got through !

10. Trollslayer
    Devil

My choice?

The Gibraltar flag.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Devil

Re: My choice?

And the imprint: ...and all your space are belong to us, too!

11. ecofeco Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Really good work!

Those are some really good designs!

12. hol
    Pint

"first 3D-printed, rocket-powered vehicle"

getting ahead of yourselves a bit?

2-part print, runs on a G-64 motor:

https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/images/b/bd/3D_Printed_Cigar_Rocket.jpg

13. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Another lettering suggestion

If you are using the American flag paint job. "Remember the Maine! To Hell with Spain!!"

(You'll need to issue a tiny sidearm to playmonaut though)

14. Haku

Paint it with the contents of some glowsticks

Along with some radiation warning stickers.

15. bugalugs

Ian's Vulture design

in red and white, for me...

16. Ian Knight
    Pint

Might help with the visibility, and they might only have to use one paint colour !

17. Ian Knight

A small twerk..um I mean tweak

Following bugalugs suggestion I created a red / white preview with a small tweak to the design to make things a little more symmetrical.

http://zort.co.uk/page.asp?code=single:420

18. Eric Kimminau TREG

Thunderbird 3

I sincerely apologize for not getting my .02 in before the decision has been made, but I truly believe there should be no choice other than the color scheme of Thunderbird 3:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Thunderbird3.jpg

This topic is closed for new posts.