back to article Turkish TV presenter canned for flashing too much cleavage

Turkey has taken a great step forward towards not joining the European Union after government intervention saw an asset-rich female TV presenter sacked for baring too much of her decolletage. Gözde Kansu apparently copped a verbal shoeing from a ruling Justice and Development (AKP) party spokesman after baring her cleavage – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Savard

Cultural

This does indicate a profound cultural incompatibility between Turkey and Europe.

Still, what I have to ask is why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market. (Why it isn't in the European Union, of course, is obvious; its security needs don't mesh with the EU concepts of "human rights".)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Cliff

Re: Cultural

Remember within the past year or so the BBC fielded zillions of complaints about a similar dress worn by Holly Whatshername off the dancing programme.

1. Annihilator

"Remember within the past year or so the BBC fielded zillions of complaints about a similar dress worn by Holly Whatshername off the dancing programme."

Not really, there were 5 for the ITV one, 130 for the BBC one. Be interesting to see stats on it, but I suspect most programmes generate that just by virtue of being on.

It's to be noted that Cameron or similar didn't step in and fire her though.

1. Cliff

Re: ...Not really, there were 5 for the ITV one, 130 for the BBC one....

Point being that as a population we're not homogeneous - Turks complained, Brits complained, so we can hardly get on our high horses about funny foreigners funny ways.

1. xperroni

Point being that as a population we're not homogeneous - Turks complained, Brits complained, (...)

But no Brit politician strong-armed the TV station into firing the show hostess for her clothes.

Which, by the way, is actually the point.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

'But no Brit politician strong-armed the TV station into firing the show hostess for her clothes.'

You're correct, they just strong-armed a broadcasting company into not playing the number one hit 'ding dong the witch is dead'

Just saying.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Angela Ripon was banned from dancing on the Morcambe and Wise show. She eventually appeared but was canned at about that time. So we are not a better type of creature.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                Stop

"Angela Ripon was banned from dancing on the Morcambe and Wise show...." By her employer (the BBC), who thought it would detract from her serious image as a newsreader on their flagship news program, the 9 o'clock news. Not by an intolerant government. Rippon was the first woman to get a permeanant slot presenting the news on the Beeb.

"....She eventually appeared but was canned at about that time...." Rubbish, the show was Christmas 1976 and Rippon was still presenting for the BBC until she switched to ITV's "What's My Line?" in 1989.

2. Triggerfish

139 people (killjoys?) rather than zillions.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And how many ranted to the Daily Hate, sorry mail....

Cultures are different get over it. If you read the like of the British press, one minute we're demanding Burka's are banned then the next wailling that kids are exposed to much flesh, we moan about the price of goods, then demand the price of booze and fags are massivly increased.

The best thing for humanty is to get rid of fucking bigoted xenophobics and accept people of different instead of blanket stament "oh the Turkish are terrible" or the Isrealis are evil.

Now you have the few in real power who are complete dickheads, who like to stir up shit to keep themselves in power, the majority of people, when not told what to think, just want to get on with life.

A lovely example.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201310071822-0023090

Facepalm

"....http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201310071822-0023090" And what Bibi should have added on the end was "and stop hanging gays and mentally ill teenage girls from cranes."

http://direland.typepad.com/direland/2005/10/shocking_new_ph.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1672480/posts

Even that twit Erdogan and his AKP "moderates" aren't that bad compared to the Iranian mullahs.

3. TheVogon

Canned for too much Can surely?

4. MJI Silver badge

Moaning

Not worth it, I moan about on screen logos - no change except I stop watching.

I complained about a SCD (my wife likes it) have no DD5.1 and they lumped it in with voting moans (I didn't care - where was the missing sound.)

So basically genuine technical complaints get ignored for the moaning saddo squad.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Remember within the past year or so the BBC fielded zillions of complaints about a similar dress worn by Holly Whatshername off the dancing programme."

I believe you're thinking of The Voice, which is a programme about singing rather than dancing... I suspect the host of a dancing programme would have to be wearing an absolutely scandalous dress to get any complaints, especially when you consider the minimal scraps of fabric that some of the dancers get away with on a weekly basis!

Here's hoping some buxom young lass decides to test this theory to demonstrate just how far a presenter would have to go to receive complaints about revealing attire on a dancing programme... purely for scientific interest, of course...

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"complaints about a similar dress worn by Holly Whatshername off the dancing programme"

I think you're talking about Holly Probablywill (or something like that) ...

<rant>

I complained that the programme is a celebrity-reality-fly-on-the-wall-gravy-train-love-me-adore-me-pay-me-pay-me-pay-me-i'm-on-a-journey-of discovery-drivel-derivative and should be just taken off the air, but that didn't appear to be as significant a complaint as those who obsessed over the cut of Polly's dress.

Popular, yes. But then we have a generation brought up on Big Brother, Peter Andre, Katie 'Jordan' any-price, eX-Factor, so 'Celebrity Still Prancing' seems like quality TV (which in comparison, sadly, it is). If you like dancing, go do it and quit watching people 'you don't know' but 'pretend you do'.

I'm just waiting for the broadcasts of the CCTV from the petrol station down the road - or perhaps from the local chippy.

No wait - they've done that, haven't they. 'The Fried Chicken Shop'.

I think I've just convinced myself to cancel our TV Licence, then I won't have to concern myself about Holly Willybee's dress sense ...

</rant>

phew - I think I'll have to lie down for a minute after that ;-)

3. amehaye

well she would have had no problem showing her cleavage on an Israeli news network. Israel is also very supportive of gays, abortions and all the other stuff them 'liberals' care about.

however i trust that you won't let the facts confuse you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Israel is also very supportive of gays, abortions and all the other stuff them 'liberals' care about."

Except for human rights, discrimination and international law of course...

2. Fibbles

"well she would have had no problem showing her cleavage on an Israeli news network. Israel is also very supportive of gays, abortions and all the other stuff them 'liberals' care about.

however i trust that you won't let the facts confuse you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Israel

"When the relevant section of the penal code was originally written, it contained a "social clause" permitting women to seek abortions for social reasons, such as economic distress.[1] The clause was withdrawn in 1980 under the initiative of the Orthodox parties (see Shas, United Torah Judaism and National Religious Party)."

"About 40,000 abortions take place in Israel every year, about half of them legal."

1. Vociferous

> About 40,000 abortions take place in Israel every year, about half of them legal

Well, that's still better than the situation in, for instance, Poland*, where 150 000 abortions take place every year, all of them illegal.

* Poland, for you yanks, is Europe's counterpart to Alabama.

4. Tim Jenkins

Not just cultural; there was a lovely interview on Radio 4 about a decade ago where an RAF pilot was struggling to reconcile his flying missions over Iraq to protect Kurds (the 'no-fly-zone', if you remember) from the same airbase where Turks were flying to cluster-bomb them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish%E2%80%93Turkish_conflict).

Turkey also still fails to recognise the Armenian Genocide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide), the event which the word 'genocide' itself was created to describe...

1. Vociferous

> RAF pilot was struggling to reconcile his flying missions over Iraq to protect Kurds (the 'no-fly-zone', if you remember) from the same airbase where Turks were flying to cluster-bomb them

This same problem has reappeared in Syria. The kurds are one of the strongest non-islamist factions in the opposition against Assad, but the West can not support them because Turkey would have a cow.

5. Paul Slater

ditto for the UK if Cameron has his way and does away with our ECHR responsibilities

6. launcap Silver badge
      Stop

>why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

You think they would trust either? Or want to be in either?

1. Ross K Silver badge
        Mushroom

>why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

You think they would trust either? Or want to be in either?

You think they would be trusted by either? Or be wanted in either?

They're dangerous lunatics with nuclear weapons.

Oh wait, on second thoughts they'd fit right in at NATO.

1. Ramazan

Re: why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

Yet Turkey IS in NATO, being neither Northern, nor Atlantic state. And of course, Turkey has nothing to do with Europe at all, as the territories it holds west of Bosphorus and Dardanelles have been illegally occupied.

1. Furbian

Re: why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

.. oh right, the European part of Turkey is Turkey occupying someone, care to mention who? The Bulgarians? They're awfully quiet about wanting it. Long memory you have too, Istanbul only having being established some 560 years ago.

Last but not least, if Turkey shouldn't be NATO due not bordering the North Atlantic, what part of Greece is anywhere near it? Or for that matter Austria, Italy, Romania etc. are? Best of all is Cyprus, which lies further from any European country than most of Asian Turkey.

As for the main article, Turkey in the EU? Never in a million years, too racist and bigoted, with a few notable exceptions. Judging by the postings here, most don't even appear to consider them as being human, but some sort of lower sub-species, in all but name.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"They're dangerous lunatics with nuclear weapons.

Oh wait, on second thoughts they'd fit right in at NATO."

They already cut out the middle man and went directly to the dangerous lunatics. The USA subsidises Israel's economy and military...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

">why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market"

Because they the EU havn't opened the door to terrorist states so far, and Israel's human right record wouldn't measure up either.

Israel also likely wouldn't acknowledge EU law seeing as it would require them give back much of Palestine and let those forcibly removed from their own land and villages return...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Ted Treen
      Devil

I trust your reference "...the EU concepts of "human rights"..." was made with at least a little irony.

Also, one has to remember that although Turkey claims to have a secular government, Erdogan himself is a closet Islamist, just not with the robes, headgear & AK to which we are more accustomed. Should Turkey gain membership of the EU, I believe - YMMV - that that would be yet another urgent justification for Britain's withdrawal from said organisation.

We are already - thanks to that nice Mr Blair & that nice Mr Brown - nourishing rather too many vipers in our bosom.

1. Don Jefe

I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group. You kind of have to draw a line somewhere in groups like that and being from a different continent is a convenient boundary to use.

Stop

Re: Pong Jefe Re: Cultural

"I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group....." Actually, Israel is an associated state of the European Union under the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP), the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership, and the Union for the Mediterranean. The main legal ties between Israel and the EU are set by the 1995 Association Agreement. A first free trade area agreement was signed in 1975. In the Essen Council in 1994, the EU signaled its willingness to establish special relations with Israel. In effect, Israel is already more "in Europe" than Turkey.

1. Ross K Silver badge
            WTF?

Re: Pong Jefe Cultural

Actually, Israel is an associated state of the European Union under the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP), the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership, and the Union for the Mediterranean.

Wow, I'm impressed. You typed "Is Israel in Europe?" into Google and copy/pasted the Wikipedia entry on Israel-EU relations.

They're still not in Europe, physically or mentally. Nor will they be any time soon...

Happy

Re: Ross K Re: Pong Jefe Cultural

".....Wow, I'm impressed...." I'd be flattered if that was an achievement, but going by your post it seems that is a relatively minor hurdle to clear, more like a wrinkle than a hurdle.

".....and copy/pasted the Wikipedia entry on Israel-EU relations......" Admittedly, I couldn't recall the titles of the EU treaties concerned. I do note that you are are unable to dispute the facts presented, just that you prefer a bit of anti-Semitic denial instead. Israel is very much "in Europe". Enjoy!

1. Ross K Silver badge
                Devil

Re: Ross K Pong Jefe Cultural

you prefer a bit of anti-Semitic denial instead. Israel is very much "in Europe". Enjoy!

I'm not anti-semitic.

I despise murderous scum, whatever their religious persuasion.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"just that you prefer a bit of anti-Semitic denial instead"

As per the latest genetic research, most Jews are not in fact Semites, but originated from Europe....

1. Don Jefe

Most Semites aren't Jewish... The whole term anti-Semite is a silly, shallow and wholly misunderstood term, that currently has cultural acceptance, but in reality is kind of insulting. Like saying anyone from the UK is a Scotsman or any black person is a Moor. Being Semitic does not make one a Jew. Being Jewish makes one a Jew, that's why people came up with that convenient term: Jew.

The term isn't very old, and one day cultures will be ashamed they used it. Especially the smart asses who whip it out anytime someone mentions Jews in an anything but completely positive light, but doesn't do the same for all the other Semitic people's who are about as far from being Jewish as one can get.

2. Sandra Greer

Semites

Most Jews spent some time in various places, including Europe, but they originated right there in Israel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_people

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                  FAIL

Re: AC Re: Ross K Pong Jefe Cultural

"As per the latest genetic research, most Jews are not in fact Semites, but originated from Europe...." Continue dancing around the denial if you like, you seem just as determiend to avoid the topic of thread. Could it be you and your buddies are upset at people poking fun at an Islamic nation and take the usual knee-jerk reflexive response of having to drag Israel into the conversation?

2. Vociferous

> I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group.

Why limit yourself by a wholly arbitrary concept? The EU should welcome any stable democracy, anywhere.

3. Blubster
          Meh

"I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group. You kind of have to draw a line somewhere in groups like that and being from a different continent is a convenient boundary to use."

They still manage to take part in the Eurovision Song contest though.......

4. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Happy

" Iwould suspect fact Israel is in Asiamight have something to do with not being in the European trade group. You kind of have to draw a line somewhere in groups like that and being from a different continent is a convenient boundary to use."

Hee hee. Finally someone says it!

Yep, despite their desires, their managing to be part of Eurovision doesn't mean they can claim to be European!!

8. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Stop

Re: John Savard Re: Cultural

"This does indicate a profound cultural incompatibility between Turkey and Europe....." Nope, it highlights the profound incompatibility between many Muslims and Europe. A large number of Turks feel they are just as incompatible with the Islamic "moderates" running Turkey.

9. JohnG

"Why it isn't in the European Union..."

Israel is not in Europe, although that hasn't stopped Cyprus and is not stopping Turkey. However, Russia seems to be excluded from the EU's definition of Europe.

10. Vociferous

That's actually a good question. Israel is a stable democracy, so I can only assume that it hasn't applied for membership.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
        WTF?

Re: Stables are places that are full of shit.

As is Israel but what the hell has any of that got to do with the story?

What got me was the intro to the show wasn't her choice of clothing alone but the collusion of the people in charge of the programme to show her off as explicitly as possible. If Turkey was in the EU she could sue for unfair dismissal. I hope she gets a job in a civilised country, doing what she does well.

1. Vociferous

Re: Stables are places that are full of shit.

> show her off as explicitly as possible

haha wat? Are you Amish?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Israel is a stable democracy"

Israel widely has the vote, but it's not a true democracy - it's still an apartheid state. For instance settlers in the occupied territories can vote on the Israeli government, but Palestinians that live next door can't - and the 'Right of Return' laws specifically only apply to those who claim Jewish ancestry....

1. Vociferous

That is because the west bank is occupied territory, and the palestinians on the west bank can't vote because they're not israeli citizens. Palestinians in Israel proper do have right to vote.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          FAIL

"....it's still an apartheid state. For instance settlers in the occupied territories can vote on the Israeli government, but Palestinians that live next door can't...." Male bovine manure. Israeli-Arabs, who are Israeli citizens, can and do vote in Israeli elections. They even have Israeli-Arab political parties and elected Israeli-Arab members of the Israeli parliament. Israeli citizens in the West Bank can and do vote in Israeli elections. By the way, how many Jews were allowed to vote in the Fakeistinian elections? None. Your claim is just another lie in the myth of "apartheid" put around by the Fakeistinian-supporting sheeple.

1. Roo

"For instance settlers in the occupied territories can vote on the Israeli government, but Palestinians that live next door can't..."

Unfortunately that is the case.

" Israeli-Arabs, who are Israeli citizens, can and do vote in Israeli elections."

That is also true.

Both of these things can be true because they are two different groups of people. The "Israeli-Arabs" chose to give up living in Palestine for the right to live in Israel. A number of those people derive from nomadic (ie: bedouin) ancestors and they never considered themselves Palestinian in the first place.

Palestinians chose not to acknowledge the state of Israel and so the one-sided turf war continues.

Re: Poo Re: Cultural

".....Palestinians choose not to acknowledge the state of Israel...." And there's the crux of the matter - not only do the Fakeistinians' leaders need to recognize Israel under the same treaties and UN motions they love to selectively and endlessly quote, but they deliberately do not out of choice. Which has SFA to do with Islamic intolerance and nuttiness in Turkey.

1. Roo
                Windows

Re: Poo Cultural

"Which has SFA to do with Islamic intolerance and nuttiness in Turkey."

Blimey, I can agree without reservation on that point.

Matt, I am concerned that your ego will develop a mass of gigantic proportions that will collapse into a microscopic black hole that sucks you into it, before finally collapsing with a sad little farty noise. Pffft.

Happy

Re: Poo Re: Poo Cultural

"....Blimey, I can agree without reservation on that point....." Poor chap, you must be in shock seeing as it seems to have denied you the ability to provide any comment relating to the article.

"....I am concerned that your ego will develop a mass of gigantic proportions...." Don't worry, A$$ange and co seem to be lightyears ahead in that department. Now, if only we could find a way to turn the resultant black hole into a singularity then we might actually have a use for A$$nut.

11. Gannon (J.) Dick

EU be damned. The girl has a Divine Right.

And a divine left, I might add.

12. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Turkey has applied for membership years ago and I hope the EU is now, with good reasons, a bit more careful with "cooked books" than when accepting Greece. In fact I think the EU should take some time out regarding new members. Israel has not applied and will not as that would force them to define borders and make peace and that is not on the agenda with the current government. As things are to day, they would never be accepted anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And very nice goods she has too!

As title.

1. BrownishMonstr

Re: And very nice goods she has too!

Your comment may be regarded as sexist.

2. Soap Distant
      Thumb Up

Can haz nice jubs icon?

Seriously, anyone with a problem with a humorous score for paps appeal needs... re-educating in my regime ...

I'd give an 8 for the boobs and 9.5 for the legs. She's quite pretty too :)

New Age Puritan Perverts - stop judging normal folk with your weird ways!

SD

1. Don Jefe

People offended by boobs are too far gone to be educated. We'd all be better off if such people were all just sent to some isolated place where education isn't important and that doesn't like women to begin with: Texas maybe?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or Turkey, perhaps?

3. Homer 1
    Paris Hilton

Before joining the European Union...

Maybe Turkey should consider joining the 21st century, and not only in terms of its sexual attitudes, but also its kitsch 60s music, for example.

I award the boobage 6/10, and the babe 9½.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Before joining the European Union...

I'm of the opinion that it would be a big mistake for the EU to allow Turkey to join with the current situation as it is. Nothing to do with race / religion, a simple matter of geography and compatibility:

1) For all that Turkey makes a big attempt to appear western to the west, Turkey is geographically 0.01% European (western Istanbul) and 99.9% Asian (all the rest)*. Culturally it might be more 10%-90%, but the reality still holds. It matters not a jot how many EU laws are transcribed to Turkish law. I know a few Turks from the 'western' part of the cultural spectrum, they are smart, funny, hard-working people who could contribute a great deal of good to the EU. They themselves are the first to complain that the other 90% still live in the middle ages.

2) Turkey in the EU implies free movement of goods and people. Turkey has common borders with Syria, Iraq and Iran, not to mention Armenia and Georgia. That's approximately a thousand kilometres of border that is mostly sparsely populated rough terrain that is impossible to properly police / patrol. The EU having an open border with Turkey is NOT a good idea.

If and when Turkey's general attitudes have changed, Iraq and Syria have calmed down and Iran is no longer a pariah state, we might revisit the idea. But I'm not holding my breath

*hint - it's also known as Asia Minor, there's a gigantic clue right there

1. Ramazan

Re: Turkey has common borders with Syria, Iraq and Iran blah blah blah

99.9% of heroin comes to UK via Turkey. Nothing would change at all if Turkey was EU member, your argument is totally irrelevant here.

It IS matter of culture, religion and race, maybe, if you factor the former two in the definition of race.

1. James Micallef Silver badge

Re: Turkey has common borders with Syria, Iraq and Iran blah blah blah

"99.9% of heroin comes to UK via Turkey"

Possibly (source?), but also %age isn't as significant as total amount. If it's 99.9% of 10 tons it's no big deal, if it's 99.9% of 1000 tons it's a lot bigger deal. In any case I can hardly see the situation getting better.

"if you factor the former two in the definition of race"??

Culture and religion are completely different from race. Turks raised in Germany, Istanbul and in a small village close to Kurdish border are all same race but will have vastly different culture and religion.

That is exactly why I specified that my objection was based on culture (of the majority of rural Turkey) rather than race.

2. Annihilator
      IT Angle

Re: Before joining the European Union...

I'm trusting you were being ironic in criticising their sexual attitudes, then scoring the "boobage" and the "babe"?

1. Homer 1
        Headmaster

Re: "I'm trusting you were being ironic"

No, I was referring to the fact that the Turks responsible for making this woman unemployed seem to be a bunch of prudes, like you.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: "I'm trusting you were being ironic"

There is, of course, a world of difference between not being a prude and being a sexist. I would suggest this rahter obvious line lies between not firing a woman for wearing what she wants, and issuing a rating on your opinion of her boobs.

1. Homer 1
            Childcatcher

Re: "a world of difference"

Yes, the difference is that my appreciation of her beauty didn't get her sacked, whereas the sort of self-righteous do-gooders who think the human anatomy is "offensive" did.

4. PipV
    Trollface

Newsworthy

I do like to keep abreast of matters of imporatnace - well done El Reg

1. Ted Treen
      Happy

Re: Newsworthy

" imporatnace"?

She has had an effect on you, hasn't she?

5. Richard 12 Silver badge

Why fire her anyway?

She didn't choose the costume, the network did.

She had no choice in the matter - refusing to wear it would have got her fired.

The right person to fire is the person who said the costume was ok - that's the producer and the network management who commissioned the show.

The costume designer probably won't work there again anyway.

Not that surprising though, given Turkey's recent behaviour over Eurovision et al.

1. ratfox

Re: Why fire her anyway?

That was my reaction too. Even assuming there is something wrong with the cleavage, you can just ask her to dress differently…

On the matter of cultural diversity, let me say that I am very happy that television in most European countries do not treat women the way they are in Italy.

2. Cliff

I felt sorry for her trying to negotiate those awful steps in what can only be described as non-PPE clothing with the added bonuses of audience, music and lights. Didn't look easy.

1. Kubla Cant

Non-PPE clothing

Was it the Politics, the Philosophy or the Economics that her clothing lacked?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why fire her anyway? - non-PPE clothing.

What is PPE clothing? Evening dress with a silly waistcoat, I suspect.

3. BorkedAgain

That was my thought as well; I don't believe for a moment that she chose that dress. That's like slapping a waiter because the chef spat on your food.

6. jubtastic1

Storm in a b cup

More text goes here

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Storm in a b cup

I don't think there were any cups involved from the look of it :D

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Storm in a b cup

right on, Homer Simpson has better cleavage, what’s the big deal here?

7. Roger Stenning

I really don't know...

...why they want to be in the EU anyway - it's buggered up more economies than anything this side of the end of WW2.

1. mrjohn

Re: I really don't know...

It's a bit like Ireland, spend hundreds of years resisting foreign occupation, then suddenly deciding it's a great idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Eire did exceptionally well out of EU development and regeneration funds, every public project I walked, drove or flew through had an EU flag stamped on it. The Celtic Tiger was dependent on access to EC (as it was then) markets, because otherwise the American and Asian screwdriver plants would never have set up shop there..

The dream soured when poorer countries in Eastern Europe became the beneficaries of such largesse and we were invited to contribute to the good cause, rather being the recipient. At that point the EU seemed like less of such a good idea and more of an imposition.

Even Bob Geldorf came out against it, comparing it to English rule, and he lives in Kent!

1. Lars Silver badge

Was not borrowing too much money the problem in Ireland, (and elsewhere).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"why they want to be in the EU anyway - it's buggered up more economies than anything this side of the end of WW2."

I think you are confusing "EU" with "American Investment Banks"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fashion crime

It's leg OR breast. Never both at the same time.

1. Cliff

Re: Fashion crime

Reg readers care about fashion, for sure.

2. Tom 38
      Headmaster

Re: Fashion crime

Surely "legs or cleavage". "Legs or breast" is a bit OTT.

9. DAN*tastik

Long story short

The Register is opening up a base in Turkey. Reporter position lands right on the lap of a local unemployed journalist.

10. taxman

From observations

A couple of interesting points seen here - but lets not make mountains out of mole hills please.

All I'd like to add is.....perhaps the spokesman is more aligned with the 'gentlemen' who are generally associated with Turkish beaches? Or perhaps not, as if he were a keen beach goer he'd see less dress and more decolletage

Re: From observations

And likely to find his place covered in a German flag?

11. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

Boobs have been boobs for hundreds of thousands of years.

Teenagers seem to think it's a goal in life.

Marketards play on the teenagers inexperience.

Governments trying to twist popular opinion try to stifle viewing same.

Religious groups try to turn the human body into a bad thing.

Teenagers, Marketards, Governments & religious groups need to get a life.

1. John G Imrie

Teenagers, Marketards, Governments & religious groups need to get a life.

Of the four mentioned above I'd suggest that the Teenagers would 'get a life' if the other three left them to it.

1. jake Silver badge

@ John G Imrie

Concur.

12. Red Bren
    Coat

File under new heading

Boobnotes

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah - Turkey

I remember, as the most Hypocritical Nation around . They woud happily sleep with ANYONE, given a chance. But as Muslims, in public, all women are their sisters if you (as a foreigner) happen to date any one of them ,and will be ready to attack you for doing so, or being lucky enough!

DIdnt anyone notice the ogling eyes in the audience in similar videos?

Or try visitng any of the belly dance bars in Istanbul! You'll know what I mean!

Oh, lets not even talk about the Homosexuality amongst them. Its a dangerous place, out there.

1. Shades

Re: Ah - Turkey

AC Wrote:

"in public, all women are their sisters if you (as a foreigner) happen to date any one of them ,and will be ready to attack you for doing so, or being lucky enough!"
      You mean like this: Middlesbrough's Dwayne Ward, 17, stabbed in Marmaris?

14. Crisp

Silly Turkey

We men aren't so weak willed that a flash of cleavage will cause us to go on a sex fueled rampage.

The dress was fine.

1. ByeLaw101

Re: Silly Turkey

@Crisp

I must be weak.. I felt a little rampagey... :)

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Silly Turkey

How do you make men stare at a pound of fatty tissue?

Put a nipple on it

1. Irony Deficient

How do you make men stare at a pound of fatty tissue?

Provide a link.

1. Danny 14

Re: How do you make men stare at a pound of fatty tissue?

redirect link? check

at work? check

not clicking? check

Re: How do you make men stare at a pound of fatty tissue?

Got crab lice?

Or

Feeling a little horse?

15. Anomalous Cowshed

What's all this talk about Turkeys and boobies

Is it because Christmas is around the corner, so to speak? Or did I catch the wrong end of the stick?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: What's all this talk about Turkeys and boobies

Thanksgiving is closer.

16. Danny 5

bah

Their whole government is retarded and seems bent on destroying the secular nature of Turkey. They can have it anyway they want to though, just don't expect to be granted access to the EU.

Having said that, i know the EU leaders only think about freedom when it suits them.

17. Deej
    Devil

Questionable decision....

.. I think the politician has made a bit of a boob there.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Joining EU ?

No way. Was in Germany with friends. Their ball park calculations & fear is thus:

There are about 3 million Turks (yes 3 million) ready to fly into Germany on the first day of EU joining and the charter flights would start at midnight prompt. They are so desperate (and also having extended friends/fmaily). Probably a millions would land in the UK within the first week. (Dunno about France/Spain/Italy). Would put the Poles in the shade.

They really want to Break Free, from the Taboos and economic pressures, being imposed.

Wouldnt be bad for the Kebab business owners, but bad news for Curry houses and Chinese Take -Aways. A massive change in demography would indeed occur.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Joining EU ?

If you recall, during the first major eastern European accession to the EU (Poland et al), the UK was one of the few countries not to have restrictions on immigration, and by the time Romania joined, we'd joined with the rest of the EU on it.

Free movement of labour is not strictly guaranteed for new member states. IIRC, this restricted movement can last up to 5 years from the beginning of membership -- the idea being that this gives the country's economy time to improve, reducing impetus for migration.

19. Trollslayer

Turkey can't join the EU

As long as people can be prosecuted for saying 'non-Turkish' things, fundamental human rights issues.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Youtube video of Goedze Kansu

"this video is not available in the UK due to its obscene and pornographic content. Tick here if you want to override the setting, and kindly complete personal questionnaire below, which will not be disclosed to any unauthorized authorities other than those, which have authorized themselves to be authorized."

21. xperroni
    Childcatcher

"We don't intervene against anyone...

...except when we do, which is whenever we feel like it."

1. BrownishMonstr

Re: "We don't intervene against anyone...

But isn't that the case with any government?

22. Peshman

Turkey

Would you like breast or leg?

(Leg appears to be the safer option whenever discussing Turkey or turkey)

23. Atonnis
    Trollface

But....

That skirt! It was ABOVE THE KNEE!

Persecute the Heretic!!

24. disgruntled yank

correct me if I'm wrong

But didn't one of the Spice Girls do some topless work on Turkish TV in unseasoned days?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: correct me if I'm wrong

Link please

25. Slacker@work
    Pint

Thank the gods....

...that we Brits are far more forgiving, otherwise Susannah Reid would have been fired years ago for her flashing of stocking clad thighs and panties...

mmmmmm....

Susannah in stockings...

.... sorry I just need to go lie down for a while

26. JaitcH

How to tell the difference between Turks and Greeks on Lemnos Island, Greece

By the eyes - whether they are popped wide open or not.

There is such a chasm between the cultures of even the closest EU neighbours and Turkey, it will never meet the lowest of bench marks for getting in the EU.

Turkey belongs on the eastern shore of the Bosphorus, the 32km long strait between the Black and Marmara Seas, separating Europe from Asia.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Page Three girl would kill these people.

28. asdf
    Facepalm

the really pressing problems

I am so glad Turkey is worrying about this giant problem because of course their utopian society doesn't have any other issues to worry about.

29. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Huh....

I just didn't find that top that racy. A little side boob, but that was just because it was not cut to push the boobs together into a "plunging neckline" style cleavage. She did show a fair bit of leg but I got the impression that's not the problem? I wouldn't expect someone to be dressed up like this to, say, news anchor (although I can always hope...), but for a dancing show? Well, anyway, I knew Turkey is pretty conservative.

30. John Tserkezis

I was about 80% through the supplied video, before it occured to me there were no subtitles.

31. Zack Mollusc

Blimey, lots of political comments here. Now I realise that I am a political ignoramus because all i am commenting about is that I read "busty schedule" in the article.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Despite all the justifications:

They remain Closetted Arabs and staunch Islamists.

Hell, they even used the arabic script, till Mr Kemal Ataturk decreed to adopt the Latin script, so they ccould identify with European values.

I dare anyone to say (In Turkey - of course) that Kemal Ataturk was a ruthless dictator. Bound to be arrested and tried for treason. This personality cult is everywhere to see. They are not as progressive as they would like us to believe. And the Islamic solidarity remains solid. despite all the pretenses.

33. Beachrider

Europe & Asia...

Being an American, you can admit or reject EU applicants as needed. Doing it because Asia us a different continent from Europe is dumb.

Europe and Asia are ONE continent.

1. Ross K Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Europe & Asia...

Being an American, you can admit or reject EU applicants as needed Doing it because Asia us a different continent from Europe is dumb.

Europe and Asia are ONE continent.

Stop right there. You've just barred yourself from any intelligent discussion on this subject.

Using your logic European countries are on the same continent as India, therefore India should be allowed into the EU.

Maybe you and Matt Bryant need to take a geography class?

1. Beachrider

I just said two connected things. You ignored the first to make a penetrating observation on the second.

- you can admit or reject as needed

Where did I say anything about India? You made it up...

2. Beachrider

As to arguing about continents, that is just arguing. The ARE the same continent..

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: Ross Klueless Re: Europe & Asia...

"....Using your logic European countries are on the same continent as India, therefore India should be allowed into the EU....." Agreed, Asia (which is where India is) is a separate continent to Europe.

".....Maybe you and Matt Bryant need to take a geography class?" Seeing as I usually spend a lot of time correcting the innaccuracies, ommissions, errors and downright lies of your fellow sheeple, surely you should be sending them to any classes? Maybe you imagined it - after all, where did I post anything that would give grounds for companits of my geographical knowledge, or is this just another claim you'll run away from like your sheeple brothers?

34. Beachrider

The only North American argument on Asia-West...

There is the issue of those five Siberian provinces that are on the North American tectonic plate...

But that is where the Russians found that Quadrillion Dollar stash of diamonds. They will NEVER let THAT go...

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Re: The only North American argument on Asia-West...

Srry have we gone all 1984 here? Down with Eurasia! Down with Oceania!

35. Tacitus

To me she looks as though she's off her face....I think the cleavage problem is a dissociation of the left and tight hemispheres, not her breasts. The other poor stunned looking creature in tights was a bit

weird, though probably a very nice girl.The males falling over..oh, please...spare us such pathos.

Unfortunately trying to infuse Western morning show and evening show trash into another culture fails to translate...sitting on any Asian Bus with TV impresses that. This particlular staged vent does also but it's only one of thousands. The sad thing is that Turkish women have been sexy since well before America was invaded by refugees from the Inquistion. Trying to emulate the American idea of sexy (eg the horrors of the Oscar night fashions.....ugliness in motion, ghastly, ...to mention but one) is demeaning but that aside, a pretty dress after the spanish style.

1. Pan.

sexy or sex slaves??

An interesting attempt to cultural relativism but western values identify "sexiness" with the freedom to be sexy (or not).

So if you are referring to the Ottoman Empire;s way of being sexy, you should take into account that sex slavery is not sexy (by definition), by western values. So the members of the Harem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harem while being extremely sexy (with eunuch guards and only of course for the sultan) were also being 100% slaves at the same time. I thing you can find this kind of "sexiness" in today Saudi Arabia as well.

Sultan for a couple of hundrend years did not have even one free wife, they were are all "pooled" from a pool of slaves! So not a good example about being sexy or progressive.

36. Craig 28

Oh el reg, why oh why

Did you give me an advert saying "savvy use of flash"

First, flash is crap

Second, advertising use of flash in an article about a woman's revealing dress?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like