back to article Azerbaijani election app announced winner before polls even opened

The official mobile app for tracking the Azerbaijan election got a little premature in announcing a victory for the incumbent – by doing so a good 12 hours before voting had even opened. Not only did the app, which comes from the Central Election Commission of Azerbaijan, report on Tuesday that incumbent president Ilham Aliyev …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BorkedAgain

Did they count...

...the hanging chads?

1. joanbee

Re: Did they count...

In this case they were probably not all named "Chad".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Very few

Countries can claim they have honest elections.

1. Ted Treen
        Headmaster

Re: Very few

Not so:- nearly all countries (even Zimbabwe) claim to have honest elections: it's those who actually do have honest elections who are very few in number.

2. Darryl

Oops

When you fix the "election", you're not supposed to announce the results until AFTER at least a few people have cast their "vote"

1. Don Jefe

Re: Oops

Why bother. It'll be the same sleaze bag who gets elected, regardless of their name. That's the only thing democratically elected leaders have in common: They are universally the worst possible people for the job.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Don Jefe

What's your post count up to?

1. asdf

Re: @ Don Jefe

My upvotes are now over 5000 but no gold star for me. I wonder what it takes to get the gold badge. I do have more posts than Mr. Jefe (barely) but he had done so in a lot less time than I took.

2. Don Jefe

I don't know, it really isn't important to me. Unlike yourself, who obviously cares deeply about others opinions or you wouldn't run around like a coward. Following me around and commenting about my comments is kind of funny in a weird stalkery way...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Your post count is obviously important to you or else you wouldn't be making so many content-free posts. Or maybe you just like to see your name in print because it makes you feel important. And I'm not following you around, its just that your content-free posts are littered everywhere on this site.

1. Don Jefe

Your posts all seem to be about my posts. I suggest you address your content issues first.

2. asdf

I assume you are talking about the AC as I could care less about you personally lol. In general I don't much care about others opinion as I have nearly half as many downvotes as upvotes. I just want my damn gold badge.

2. Ted Treen

@Don Jefe

"...They are universally the worst possible people for the job..."

I wholeheartedly concur:- in fact I firmly believe that a strong desire to stand for election should be grounds for being barred from so doing.

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Honesty is the best policy.

I'm afuckingmazed by the honesty of Azerbaijan's rulers. Whereas most other pseudo-democratic dictatorships at least try to keep appearance of fair elections, Azerbaijan goes the extra mile and openly admits "look, people of Azerbaijan, you can go to the polling station and cast your vote but we don't give a damn shit because we already decided upon the results. Screw you."

4. Lars Silver badge
    FAIL

And still

Many of you will accept "electronic" voting in you fatherland as shit happens only elsewhere-

1. Cliff

Re: And still

Nothing wrong with electronic voting in itself.

It's the closed-source proprietary commercial suppliers completely lacking in transparency that are a completely mental basis for a democracy.

1. P. Lee

>Nothing wrong with electronic voting in itself.

In theory. However, it makes the system easier to game and less transparent for little gain. It allows for easier evil.

1. Michael Thibault

>>Nothing wrong with electronic voting in itself.

>In theory. However, it makes the system easier to game and less transparent for little gain.

Arguably easier, but certainly a much, much juicier target.

2. Swarthy

Strange women lying in pods distributing swords is sounding like a better basis of government every day.

1. Justicesays

Some kind of cross between Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and Excalibur?

2. BorkedAgain

If I went around saying I was Emperor, just because some moistened Azerbaijani bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.

5. asdf

Borat

Hey look another country casting off the stereotype of Borat. Or maybe not.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

In Soviet Russia, election shows up for voters!!

Dictatorship? There's an app for that!

7. TXITMAN

Bender Wins!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/01/electronic_voting_hacked_bender/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Mogens Jallberg was correct

"In democracy it's your vote that counts; In feudalism it's your Count that votes."

1. Daren Nestor

Re: Mogens Jallberg was correct

I always preferred Terry Pratchett's Patrician of Ankh Morpork

"He firmly believed in 'one man, one vote'. He was the man, and he had the vote"

9. Potemkine Silver badge

Poor guy...

His facebook account could not be the only one to be terminated.

10. Frank Bitterlich
    Thumb Up

Works as designed

A good voting app should show the results as soon as they have been determined. If the results have been <del>fixed</del> determined that early, why not let the public know... The OECD will be impressed with this level of transparency.

11. Sheep!
    Thumb Up

Quick question

How do you find time to write all these articles Bill? I barely have time to read them!

This topic is closed for new posts.