back to article Alcatel-Lucent slashes 10,000 jobs worldwide

Alcatel Lucent has confirmed it will axe 10,000 employees worldwide as part of a bid to cut €1bn (£850m) in fixed costs by the end of 2015. The loss-making telecoms equipment maker will actually be letting 15,000 staff members go, but has said it will create 5,000 new jobs in areas where it thinks it can grow. The cuts will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Mushroom

Oh goodie.

Always nice to learn about such things from the news outlets rather than directly from one's employers...

GJC

1. kmac499

Re: Oh goodie.

maybe that's why he mis-spelled it as "the Shift Plan" Oh merFde..

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

France's Nokia?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

"France's Nokia?" There have been rumours that Nokia is in talks to by AL. Perhaps they are now trying to become a bit more attractive. AL has a fairly nice part of the US market.

3. HereWeGoAgain

Cue the bales of hay on the road

The moment the first Frenchman receives his marching papers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cue the bales of hay on the road

I don't believe AL employ many farmers.

It'll be mock funeral processions and symbolic planting of crosses to mark the death of jobs.

4. Gordon 10

How is this news

I cant think of a year gone by where Lucent havent wielded the axe like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. My only surprise is that theres 10,000 workers left to fire.

If ever there was a Telecoms player that could be classed as "doomed to be mediocre" its L-A.

I would rather work for a c*nt like Ellison or Dell - they may be equally facile with the Axe but at least they seem to have a plan and some leadership qualities.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So much for that economic recovery

10K is gonna hurt on top of all the other major job losses.

6. The last doughnut
    Meh

I agree with what the other commentards said

7. Graham 25

Only a French manufacturing company could go for seven years of losses without being restructured surely.

Who else would put up with it ?

This topic is closed for new posts.