back to article Bling, bling, it's HTC here: Clear us a place on the gold phone bandwagon

While Apple and Samsung mess about with gold-coloured phones, HTC has plated real gold onto five of its HTC One handsets as a promotional exercise for the forthcoming Mobo awards. There will only be five blinged-out HTC One handsets for the awards, with the winner of the best newcomer award at the Mobos getting one of them. We …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge

Irony

HTC used to make iPaqs and so on with fingerprint readers, but they never put one on a phone until Apple did.

What on earth?

2. Philippe

El Reg losing the plot?

Check

3. silent_count

A concierge button: genius!

I'm somewhat sceptical about the fingerprint thingy on the iPhone being anything more than, "Look! We're innovating. Trust us, we really are."

However a dedicated concierge button. I don't have words. What a masterstroke! I'll have one of those, oh yes please, thankyouverymuch. Y'all can ask Siri where your life went wrong. Meanwhile my concierge will be fetching drinks, cigars, and a masseuse named Inga.

Mine's the fluffy dressing gown with the concierge buttoned phone in the pocket.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: A concierge button: genius!

Meanwhile my concierge will be fetching drinks, cigars, and a masseuse named Inga.

Surely yours will be the dressing gown with the sign on the back saying, "My other masseuse is a Portia."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A concierge button: genius!

I can imagine easily that for a small businessman who travels a lot, this would be well worth the asking price. The Vertu phone is unnecessarily expensive but the concierge service costs about as much as business class across the Atlantic, which is an awful lot less than a PA costs who doesn't mind her evenings being interrupted when you are in the US.

It might even work better than the lady who lives in my car dashboard, who can get a bit confused when navigating around the Blackwall Tunnel (no double entendre intended).

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Jon Green

Brilliant!

So all that's left to tick is:

[ ] Great signal reception

[ ] Excellent data rates

[ ] Compass that doesn't fail after two weeks

[ ] Headset that has more than one button

[ ] Headset that survives having the cable rolled over once by an office chair

Because mine certainly hasn't got ticks in those boxes, I'm sorry to say. It's a great device in all other respects, but they forgot the "phone" part of it when they were designing.

1. Steve Knox
      Holmes

Re: Brilliant!

[ ] Great signal reception

[ ] Excellent data rates

You may want to have a word with your network provider about these.

[ ] Headset that has more than one button

[ ] Headset that survives having the cable rolled over once by an office chair

Since when has any mobile phone come with a headset worth talking about (or with, for that matter)?

1. Jon Green

Re: Brilliant!

Steve said:

> > [ ] Great signal reception

> > [ ] Excellent data rates

> You may want to have a word with your network provider about these.

Thanks, but when other models on the same network have no problems acquiring and retaining a good signal, have less drop-outs in conversation, and can sustain a higher and more stable data rate, the numbers speak for themselves. I'm an Android developer. I routinely carry three, maybe four, phones (from the roughly ten I have) when I travel, so that I can do comparison tests. The comparisons don't favour the HTC One.

> Since when has any mobile phone come with a headset worth talking about (or with, for that matter)?

The HTC One comes bundled with a Beats by Dr.Dre headset. It's one of their selling points. Whilst it was working, it was the best-sounding bundled headset I've ever used, by a country mile.

5. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

WGAF

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

6. url

why is the

first link in the article to an apple device article as opposed to the thing we are talking about?

bad el reg!

bad bad bad!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hideous people

There was a Beeb article the other day with a Video demonstrating a sales show with these kind of items on show in the United Emirates.

They were asking various people if they'd buy a $15,000 IPhone studded with diamonds and a gold bird on the back.

One guy was interviewed who said he probably wouldn't buy it as they're becoming common now.

One girl was interviewed who stated entirely seriously something along the lines of "I quite like it... it's there to make a statement and I like making a statement."

I have to admit... I needed to find a sick bucket at that point so didn't watch any further.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Hideous people

Tee Hee. I like to make the statement that I've got more money than taste.

That's why my hair is bleached whiter than my teeth, which glow in ultra-violet light, my skin is dyed orange and I bought Saddam Hussein's stock of botulinum toxin off him cheap, so I'd never have a line on my face ever again!

Shallow? What me? How very dare you!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like