back to article Microsoft: We're nearly OUT OF STOCK of Surface 2 and Pro 2

Microsoft says it is nearly out of stock of its forthcoming Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 fondleslabs, though what that means in terms of actual sales figures is anybody's guess. Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 are close to selling out. All those buyers are gonna need apps. Your move: http://t.co/YGWmjklfuB — Microsoft Developer (@ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DJV Silver badge
    Happy

So...

How many did they actually make then? Did it reach as far as double figures?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So...

Not even double figures.

One for Bill and one for Steve B.

Eflop was only allowed to fiddle with his Nokia.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Add one, I preordered a Surface Pro 256GB...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Got to love the mentality of someone small-minded enough to down-vote someone because of their purchasing decisions.

1. BrentRBrian

Only when they're a Microsoft shill

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Joke

And does it include any that got modified into skateboards or other useful devices?

2. Nuke
          Holmes

AC @ 19:33 wrote :- "I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market."

As you haven't got it yet, I'd take care about making statements like that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"As you haven't got it yet, I'd take care about making statements like that."

The OS and Surface quality design and format are known quantities.In terms of that and the capabilities, it is the best thing on the market I can order right now. Dell and others might bring out something better soon, but they are not able to be ordered yet....

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market."

Just shows there is an idiot born every minute.

Oh by the way we just need your bank account number, sort code and pin number just to confirm you have actually bought one.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Anonymous Moron

>>"I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market."

>Just shows there is an idiot born every minute.

A full x86 Windows PC in a tablet by its very nature kicks Android and iOS to the side, simply because you can do literally anything on it.

The problem with Pro is basically the price, not the spec or the OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Run out of energy have I

"A full x86 Windows PC in a tablet by its very nature kicks Android and iOS to the side, simply because you can do literally anything on it."

Assuming you've got something to charge the battery from.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Mushroom

They are simply the best tablet on the market."

What? Even better than Immodium?

1. Philip Lewis

@ John Brown (no body)

shit that's funny!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"They are simply the best tablet on the market."

When he said tablet, I think he meant suppository.

1. Mephistro
              Angel

"When he said tablet, I think he meant suppository."

I don't think that the form factor will become popular, but MS will keep on trying.

3. Stoneshop
            Holmes

@ John Brown (no body)

I was thinking the tablet AC needs would be Ibuprofen, to get his two braincells in step again. But Immodium would indeed be fine too, to keep them from being excreted rectally.

5. CmdrX3

Steve....Is that you?

6. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For convertible ultra books, look to Lenovo. For bullet proof data access, Apple and for flexible low muscle computing Android. Microsoft are the best at none of these and are increasingly looking to be the worst option of all.

I got a Surface T through work. Everyone played with it for a few minutes. Out of a team of 10 techies, no-one wanted to keep it, so it' been gathering dust in a drawer eversince. Too slow, too heavy, too expensive, keyboard is woeful, app store is a joke - didn't even filter out x86 apps - so you only found uou an app was x86 only when you tried to install it. And to be honest, I can't stand Windows 8 either.

7. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: simply the best tablet on the market...

It's only Monday but that's the best joke of the week

8. N13L5

You call the tablets with the worst iFixIt scores 'the best'...?

Perfect member of our cancerous 'growth forever' throw-away society?

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"Eflop was only allowed to fiddle with his Nokia"

I've heard it called many things, but not a Nokia. He wants to be careful though. If he fiddles with his Nokia too much he might go blind!

1. TheOtherHobbes

>If he fiddles with his Nokia too much he might go blind!

sed s /"go blind"/"receive a fuck off multi-million bonus."

2. Homer 1
      Windows

Yes, Vole sold all three of their Tiles Slates. They came whizzing off their PlayMobil production line faster than Sweaty Ballmer's underpants skid across the kitchen floor on wash day. It was epic. I cried with joy. You had to be there.

3. Mage Silver badge

11,003 approximately.

4. and-job

Answer to your question is....

They made 25 of each. Most went to reviewers and the last two went to Steve Ballmer for his going away present from the company.

5. Piro Silver badge

First comment did not disappoint. I imagined something similar.

Make almost none of them, say they've sold out due to demand!

6. MrT

According to one stock control ledger...

...Three for the Elven kings, seven for the Dwarf lords, nine for mortal men and one for the Dark Lord.

Who ever he is, that one is apparently Azure in colour...

7. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

Microsoft make tablets? Gosh - I wonder why no-one knows about this. Next you'll be saying they have a search engine of their own, rather than merely throwing a script kiddie wrapper round someone elses.

2. K

That because they only made 11,001..

11,000 for Delta Airlines, and 1 for Steve as a leaving gift..

Additionally expect the CTO of Delta Airlines to be named as a new VP at Microsoft at some point in the next 6 months.

1. dssf

Re: That because they only made 11,001.. STB/Console...

Taking over the Entertainment division? Microsoft Flight Simulator?

That could be a way to turn Surface into the next MS STB/Console.

(Wow! Am I actually suggesting a product lineup change in MS's favor?)

3. wowfood

so wait

Microsoft now says new orders of the Surface 2 model with 64GB of RAM

That's a lot of RAM for a tablet :P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: so wait

"That's a lot of RAM for a tablet"

Remember, it has to run Windows... :)

1. and-job

Wondered why they make a big deal about being able to shove a memory stick into the USB? That explains it. 64GB makes for a rather cramped experience unless they have a special version of Windows called Windows 8GO (GO stands for gutted out).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do remember that a Surface uses over 16GB for the OS!

1. TheVogon

"Do remember that a Surface uses over 16GB for the OS!"

No it doesn't. It uses most of that space for a recovery partition and the hibernation file. Both of which can be removed if you really want to....

4. asdf

hmm

We probably won't see another big write off on the inventory this time. But do expect to see another eye popping multi billion dollar goodwill hit off some prior acquisition within the next year or so.

5. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

Both sold out?

did the same person buy one of each?

I'm sorry, I'm just not buying this.

Or the story.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> But reports from the channel suggested that this had more to do with Microsoft only shipping the devices in limited numbers than with rampant customer demand.

Not that Apple would ever do something as underhanded.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WTF has Apple got to do with it.

Stupid comment, about as relevant as what GEC is doing in the diode lighting market.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Stupid comment, about as relevant as what GEC is doing in the diode lighting market.

Of course GE isn't worried about the LED market. It's too busy electrocuting elephants.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

> WTF has Apple got to do with it.

Erm, you do know that Apple make tablets don't you and they do regularly sell out very rapidly on release, the implication being that they don't have enough for demand?

Jesus, do keep up.

7. W. Anderson

Many unanswered questions on Surface 2

While Microsoft is crowing about 'sold out' sales on new Surface 2 tablets, although actual "credible" numbers are always elusive from Redmond, the question in minds of many technology buyers, and should be for Delta Airlines is that of Microsoft (not) addressing the many very serious Zero Day and other security vulnerabilities** recently exposed (during last eight weeks) in Internet Explorer and Silverlight for all Microsoft based devices and Windows Mobile 8 itself, that have not been fixed, with one case of Windows 8 Mobile Security certificates not being fixable at all.

it is surprising and ominous that so many Americans and some foreigners - particularly the English that "love" Microsoft, continue to invest in the broken, twentieth century and always-catch up technology from Microsoft that never quite reaches par with their rivals in reliability, quality, value and especially good security. This last criteria is critical.

The Microsoft "Stockholm Syndrome" is definitely holding back a good part of US technology advance.

** See exposing evidence here:

(1) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2876146

(2) http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242950/Microsoft_to_patch_zero_day_IE_bug_now_under_attack?source=CTWNLE_nlt_security_2013-10-04

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Many unanswered questions on Surface 2

Seeing that Silverlight is no longer supported by Microsoft, that they publically announced this over a year ago, that it doesn't even work with Metro IE or WP8 I'm not quite sure how a security vulnerability for that is even relevant.

It would be akin to mentioning a zero day exploit for Google Reader, Windows 95 or MSN messenger has been found.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Silverlight

MS still offers SilverLight to Windows desktop users via Windows update. It is installed on my Windows 8 tablet.

1. dssf

Re: Silverlight for MOBILE, not desktop, IIUC

Per this:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/194404/silverlight-support-from-microsoft

MS is encouraging uptake of Silverlight for MOBILE devices, not desktop/non-mobile settings. I don't know where the truth lies, but since Netflix apparently dumped Silverlight, and Flash and HTML 5 seem to be favored, it is hard for me to know, especially since I'm not a programmer and don't follow it regularly.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Silverlight for MOBILE, not desktop, IIUC

Silverlight was used in WindowsPhone7 but dropped for WindowsPhone8 and not used at all for Windows 8 Metro/TIFKAM. The last update to Silverlight was Silverlight 5 released back in early 2012.

Netflix moved away from Silverlight when it was clear Microsoft had killed it off in favour of HTML5.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Many unanswered questions on Surface 2

You sir, are IMHO, a nob'ed

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Mushroom

Lawsuit

Whoever posted that tweet could be in real trouble.

Microsoft may not have noticed it but the SEC this year authorised the use of Twitter for relevant information. The flipside of being able to spurt "we're doing really great" is that the SEC takes a very dim view of "forward looking statements" that can be conceived as misleading. Without further, detailed information such as might be expected at investors' call it's difficult to see how that claim about a publicly traded company can be considered as anything other than misleading.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charles Manning

Re: Lawsuit

Joke, I know, but there's a difference...

Lying about the sweetness of the steam off your turd product is legal.

Lying about revenue (eg. numbers of items sold) is not.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"next you'll say false advertising should be illegal."

False advertising affects ill informed consumers, Joe Public, etc.

False financial statements (forward looking or otherwise) affect the professional experts, movers and shakers, around Wall Street and the City.

Which one needs more legal protection?

Which one gets more legal protection?

2. Hooksie

You assume the information to erroneous.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

The SEC has been in shutdown mode anyway lately.

(...since at least the 1990s)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FIRE SALE!

at least 10 on offer.

10. Zot

Other companies are filling their ship with water...

As they sit in the nineties and stare at a blank wall. Silly bastards, they can't even catch up with things happening in the last decade, they frustrate me so much, it's getting annoying now. Come on MS get some hardware nonse about your selves! Developers, developers, developers, are using more popular products to push their software. It's getting dark for them, argh and it's horrible to watch. No I can't watch. ;(

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Almost is the key word.

I am ALMOST a billionaire. All I need is, well a a few dollars short of a billon dollars.

1. BobChip
      Joke

Re: Almost is the key word.

I'm a lot closer than that! I already have all the zeros - all I need is a lousy 1 to put in front of them. Buddy can you spare a dime?

12. Gordon 8
    Flame

Surface RT - I have one

Hi,

For about 300 GBP I have a Surface RT, and I like it ;-)

Yes it's handicapped compared to a full windows machine and i have problems with things like vpn support, but for what i paid, and what i need it to do it does 75% of what i want out of the box (well with Windows8.1). There are a few apps that fill many of the gaps.

The 8.1 upgrade with full outlook is worth it. That is why i made the purchase.

I was against when it did not have outlook, it was pointless I felt. Now that i have tried a surface and it does have outlook it's a decent piece of kit. MS need to get a few things sorted, and it needs better apps.

So unless you have actually tried to use one then please don't try to tell those of us who have used one that it's no good.

I would rather have a surface RT than any fruit or chocolate OS powered device.

I am expecting a stack of down votes, but I am happy with the Surface RT

1. Juillen 1

Re: Surface RT - I have one

Yep, I've used one, and (the pro, as it needs active directory integration etc.). It's not too bad, to be honest (at least the Win8 UI works for the tablet form, rather than the travesty it is on the desktop).

However, it's not a "wow" that's enough to tempt people away from the rich ecosystems that are the iOS and Android platforms. It may have a place in business, but that would require a lot of training (and maybe putting Win8 on the desktop, which very few businesses are thinking seriously about), but it'll have an extremely tough time getting a footing in the consumer market, especially at the price points MS are pitching (hell, you can get an Android that'll do everything the Surface will for most users at a fraction of the price, AND it'll have a wealth of apps).

My money isn't on MS at the moment. It's an OK product released into a saturated market; you know, the kind of thing that you need a revolutionary product that makes people sit up and go "This is something new, and does things the other can't"..

1. Nuke
        Holmes

@Juillen1 - Re: Surface RT - I have one

Wrote :- "It's an OK product released into a saturated market [but] you need a revolutionary product that makes people sit up and go "This is something new, and does things the other can't"."

What MS are banking on, as the "Wow" factor here, is the "Windows" brand. It does still work with some people (the PHBs of this world, like in Delta Airlines perhaps). However, MS have not yet caught up with the fact that they can no longer sell themselves on just their name - it has become a negative factor for many in fact.

This is going to be another slow-motion train crash.

2. Hooksie

Completely agree. I was sceptical about Windows RT and I thought the Surface looked good but was too expensive. I bought an XPS10 when the price came down and I was totally sold. I've preordered my Surface2 and I'm looking forward to getting it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So you're so satisfied with your surface you are replacing it within a year with something you can't have used.

Very convincing

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"So you're so satisfied with your surface you are replacing it within a year with something you can't have used."

Isn't that exactly what most Apple users do every time a new 'i' product comes out?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Yes it's handicapped compared to a full windows machine"

But it's still leagues ahead of anything based on Android or IOS....Where is the $900 million of Surface 1 inventory they wrote off? If they sold them off at say £250, I would take another...

4. Christian Berger

The big problem is, that the Surface works well... for all the things other deviced have worked well for years now. Surface Pro has a few advantages, but is much more expensive.

The market is saturated with iOS and the iOS for people who don't like Apple, Android. If Microsoft wanted to gain something there, they would have to do something different.

5. Ted Treen
      Flame

@Gordon 8

Why in God's name have you collected so many downvotes? You say you've got a Surface RT, and it does what you bought it for, and you're happy with it.

So why so many downvotes? Are there so many who think you should only be happy with what they approve of, and that you shouldn't make decisions of your own?

I couldn't care less what your criteria are - that's your business. If you're happy with your choice, then good for you!

I have a MacPro, an iPhone5 and an iPad mini - and I'm very happy with all of them. No doubt I'll get hordes of downvotes from those who think I should be burned at the stake for daring to not follow the mob...

6. Hellcat

I also have a Surface RT, and I like it!

I wanted mutiple user support so Apple's offerings were out the window and the Android multi-user support was not mature enough. The browser being fairly fully featured does away with the need for apps to view youtube etc. I really like that the OS mimics the full Windows 8 allowing you to do most things you can on full windows (manage devices, map network drives). So far, no issues at all.

13. Charles Manning

Shurley they got this wrong...

Why is MS selling the lower spec products first, then the up-specced products later?

Marketing 101: Sell the upspecced product first. The early buyers are likely to be less price sensitive and more likely to splash out for premium product. Then sell the low spec product to cater to the envious people who cannot affortd the up-speeced producrt.

Even the most keen early buyer is unlikely to replace their low-spec purchase with an up-spec purchase 2 weeks later.

1. Tom 7

Re: Shurley they got this wrong...

Given that VBA doesnt work on the RT all most business users will be doing is looking at pictures,videos and docs and asking someone else to do the processing you wont even need the power of the lower specced device.

14. vmcreator

I was recently on business in the US, and everybody I talked too about iPad, Surface etc, all agreed the Surface is a load of cr#p !

Am I missing something?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Look at iDevice sales in Germany compared to Android (and even Windows Phone) and you would be surprised. Actually US is one of the few markets totally sold to Apple - others are not so oriented.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

European market is a REALLY different place...

The European boys and girls still pining after their Nokia's running Symbian?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@LDS Germany is even less MS friendly than America. Firefox has been the most popular browser for years, even in most companies. Windows Phones are almost the proverbial hen's teeth - my count this year is now up to three.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

It's simple...

All the Microsoft executives bought one for "marketing and economical purposes" after being persuaded to do so by upper management. It's what's best for business, and surely that's what they want?

And bing; sold out in no time!

1. sanity hazard
      Joke

Re: It's simple...

"And bing; sold out in no time!"

What? Bing has sold out?

16. oldcoder

Naaa. MS took out an advert with Delta in their magazine..

which just HAPPENED to cost twice what Delta paid MS for the tablets...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell'th blow

Who the hell is going to bother with mickysoft's offerings, when Dell have better, more flexible, tabs at much less wonger?

Hell, given the choice between a $299 Dell Venue 8 Pro and a $449 Surface 2 - when the Dell offering IS compatible with normal windows apps and the MS RT (sorry 2) isn't - is something that's not going to take a whole lot of time.

Even on the Venue 11 Pro side of things, up against the Surface Pro 2 at $899, the $499 price is going to look very tasty.

I hope the Ballmerites are getting them made in batches of 1000 - otherwise that warehouse where the unsaleable Mk1s went is going to get a whole lot more deliveries.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dell'th blow

You should compare comparable configurations. The Venue 11 at $499 has less features than a Surface Pro at $899. An Atom vs. i5, 32GB storage vs 64GB, plastic vs. magnesium case, optional stylus vs. standard one,, etc etc.

Wait for the prices to be announced and you can compare similar configurations. I guess the Surface will still be slightly more expensive, anyway good competition always helps to deliver better products.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Interesting... there are people here who can't tell the difference between an Atom and an i5, and between 32 and 64... now I understand why internet scams work so well.

Guess when Dell prices will be announced someone will be disappointed - and will shout that $499 for an Atom with 32GB of disk space (more than half gobbled by the OS) is too much. After all for such a price one can easily buy a decent notebook with a better processor and far more disk space.

2. td97402

I actually like my Windows 8 (Home version) tablet...11.6 inch screen...Lenovo IdeaPad Lynx. It is down to around $250 some places these days I think. Originally released at almost $400. Seems like MS can't make Win 8 tablets move no matter who makes them. Pretty stupid deal all around when you consider how they bastardized desktop Windows in favor of the common experience with tablets and phones they can't seem to sell.

3. dssf

Re: Dell'th blow Death Blow... Now you've got me wondering

Now you've got me wondering what an AlienWare'd-out Venue would look like. Might look like a super-thickened LCARS schematic.... Oh, wait...

18. Glostermeteor

WAYYYYY too expensive

Surface is starting to look more promising as an offering, but it is wayyyyyy too expensive. I need a minimum of 256gb of storage space to replace my laptop, but why would I pay over 1000 gbp for a surface when I can get a kick ass laptop with touchscreen for 600? Thats the question that Microsoft needs to answer. Until the prices fall 30% or more I wont be buying one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WAYYYYY too expensive

"why would I pay over 1000 gbp for a surface when I can get a kick ass laptop with touchscreen for 600"

What multitouch full HD widescreen laptop with a 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM and a magnesium chassis is £600?

1. Glostermeteor

Re: WAYYYYY too expensive

There are actually quite a few laptops out there at that price point. I just bought a laptop at work for one of my new starters, a Dell Inspiron 15R, with 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and HD touchscreen for almost exactly £600. We've been debating at work whether to eventually replace laptops with Surface devices but at the current price point its totally unviable. The prices would have to come down to near laptop levels for it to be worth doing. I might be willing to pay a bit of a premium, say 700, maybe 800 tops, but not more than that.

19. Arachnoid
    Thumb Down

Nearly sold out

Phew that`ll save me having to buy one then.

20. Asok Asus

Sold out?

All both of them?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm buying one

Sick to death of Ipad now. How many more candy shops, face warps and finger paint programs can the world suffer?

In fact I'm even ordering a new pc as well. It's come full circle. Playtime is over.

1. Philippe

Re: I'm buying one

Steve. Is that you?

22. The Alpha Klutz

nobody wants to carry windows around with them

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows is more efficient, faster, and with fewer with resource requirements than Android, has a more modern UI, is better optimised for use on a tablet and phone. And it doesn't have any malware.

I am one person that wants to (and does) carry Windows around with me and I know plenty of others, so you are wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where's the 'In My Opinion' in your post?

not everyone agrees with you about what you say.

More Modern UI -- Ha-Ha

2. D@v3
        FAIL

windows doesnt have any malware. really? Since when?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" windows doesnt have any malware. really? Since when?"

Referring to both Windows Phone and Windows RT - the nearest comparison to IOS and Android. Full Windows 8 is way above that league.

23. Stewart McKenna

"Microsoft may also be distorting presale estimates for Surface 2 by making early volume sales to business customers"

Technically known as 'stuffing the channel'...

24. Belardi

When Apple says "We are sold out of iPhoneX / iPadY" - they post their numbers... usually 2~5 million in the first few days. But here is the official number: $9 million iPhone 5S/C in 3 days.

Saying "we sold out" means nothing. Let see... they sold maybe 1-2million Surface1 over the course of 12 months.... maybe. Many are give-aways, many are discounted. Many are still collecting dust in a warehouse.

MS might have made 100,000 Surface units... that sounds reasonable. Hell, in another 12 months MS may have sold another 500,000.

Microsoft = irrelevant.

25. Ascylto

Sell all the old ones to help Mr Ballmer supplement his wages.

26. PassingStrange

SALE!!! LAST FEW DAYS!!!!!

Sadly, it's my experience that, in the world of retail sales, "Almost sold out!!!" (spurious exclamation marks mandatory) is trader-speak for, "We have a pile of these we need to shift, we can barely even give them away, and we think you're gullible enough to buy if you think they're popular".

27. kmac499
    Meh

Discount on Display Model ???

As they have almost sold out, (until presuambly Kevin with the van brings the next batch in ) what sort of discount will they give me on the display model..??

I don't want one I'm just curious on how desperate they are to sell the thing..

Currently lurking in Tescos counting the shoppers handling a surface and shoppers handling a HUDL..

28. Shane 4

Wonder if it was written by the same marketing that said Windows 8 sales are through the roof.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like