back to article Chip, Chip hooray at Samsung outweighs slack gadget numbers

Samsung is on course for another year of record profits as an improved chip market makes up for its slowing smartphone business. A survey of 45 analysts by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S estimated an operating profit for Samsung this year of 38.5 trillion won ($35.85bn), up a third from its 29 trillion won ($27bn) haul in 2012. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And when people stop buying the Galaxy range because HTC, Google, Sony or someone else makes the new / best Android handset and when Apple move chip and memory production away completely - then...?

1. fandom

And the reason why anyone here would care about that is that ...?

1. El_Fev

Because Apple is a MAJOR customer of Samsung for the manufacturing of the chips for the iPhone and IPad...Jesus wept you are how old?

1. fandom

And the reason why anyone here would care is Samsung lost Apple as a customer is that ...?

Since you don't seem to get it I will explain, if you want to be successful at trolling you have to choose a target with enough fans, Samsung doesn't qualify.

2. Roo

@ AC 4th Oct, 14:06

I'm not surprised you posted that one as AC...

This may come as a huge shock to you: Apple is not Samsung's only customer for it's components, and Apple isn't the only vendor of electronic gadgets out there.

Besides in the massively unlikely event of Apple building some fabs and taking over the silicon market Samsung can always fall back on white goods, weapon systems and shipbuilding etc. That seems very unlikely though because I don't think Apple's corporate image would survive being associated with all those ugly things like factories and nasty chemicals.

... Besides it's much easier for the suits to buy the stuff off the opposition, slap a big margin on it and sell it to folks with deep pockets. Running a factory is hard work, much easeier to have someone else do it and run them into the ground - which is exactly what they are doing.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Then Samsung will be fabbing all the chips in those 'competitors' handsets and still laughing all the way to the bank.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh a survey of guessers

no doubt the guessers will put their usual spin on it when the real numbers arrive and don't match.

3. ecofeco Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Why all the Tesla hate?

One car catches on fire because the DRIVER ran over something big enough to rip a hole through steel and then calmly walk away alive and the car is not safe?

Don't you get dizzy from all that spinning?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like