back to article Aruba rolls out cloudy enterprise Wi-Fi management system

Aruba Networks' latest Wi-Fi routers now come with a cloud service designed to stop sysadmins needing to wander the country, allowing remote monitoring and management – in exchange for an annual subscription. Aruba's access points already come with software for self-configuration, and USB sockets ready to use a cellular …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hellcat

But where is the meat?

Sounds a lot like Cloudtrax unless I am missing something that the article failed to mention.

2. Piro Silver badge

Ubiquiti.

With UniFi, you pay nothing to manage your APs. Highly recommended. Most Wifi companies end up looking like a goddamn rip off in comparison. Oh, and you can just go ahead and buy the APs from a normal supplier. No waiting for quotes or any of that bollocks.

I have no experience with Aruba, however. I'm merely sharing a personal experience. Too many companies wanted way too much for no benefit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ubiquiti.

Yes but when I use this it has one major problem that makes it unusable for anything bigger than a small shop. After making a config change all AP's immediately reboot who made that stupid design choice.

As for this it sounds like a play to catch up with Aerohive and Cisco's now Meraki solution. however Aerohive only have this option but offer it on site.

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Aruba

I got an email from them about this a day or two ago and it wasn't quite as earth shattering as it seems. Their Instant APs (and maybe even their Remote APs) could already do most of this "self configuration" since last year (I think) when Aruba started some program or other where they tied the serial number of purchased APs to a controller/airwave. So when you plugged them up, they called home to Aruba and got the address to your controller/airwave, and then connected to that to get their config. So the only really "new" thing is Aruba's new web interface/portal that lets you admin them from "the Cloud".

My guess is that this is a step to get Aruba into smaller shops that didn't want to spend thousands of dollars on a Mobility controller (and hundreds more on consultant fees to install and configure it) just to run a handful of access points. So throw up a web portal that anybody can use and start selling those $300+ access points into mom-n-pop shops up and down the street.

Aruba's gear is good stuff - we have 2 of their newer Mobility controllers and around 200 APs. It works, and works well. But it ain't no easy-to-setup DLink. Pretty much everything is configurable if you know where to look or what command to use. About the only thing you CAN'T configure from the controller is the color of the plastic shell. It would be interesting to see if their "cloud" controller has the same myriad of config options as a Mobility/Airwave.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not new

Aruba have had "remote AP" functionality for at least 8 years, where an AP can be configured to automatically IPSEC back to a central controller. In fact, if you do one of their training courses, you are sent a cheap disposable AP so you can be plugged into their lab

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like