back to article Amazon's EYE-OF-SAURON KindlePhone will watch you with FOUR cameras - report

Amazon's long slog to developing its own smartphone will bear fruit with the launch of two new models in 2014, the details of which appear to have been revealed in an unverified post by an "insider" on HN heard all over the tech world. All the project has yielded so far are some wildly improbable net rumours that need to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe

Why do companies have to give 'real' names to technologies? Like Smith or Emily Howell. It is a little bit creepy and giving them personalities will only make it more difficult to destroy them after the uprising. There's simply no need for this kind of thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Protection

To hide the real purpose/goal of the project if the name leaks out.

Like operation "Corned Beef" because operation "Blow Up The Boat" didn't shield what the French secret service intended to do in Auckland*

*This is a fiction from the film "Corned Beef".

2. Robert Sneddon

The "Smith" reference might be to Winston Smith, the traitorous renegade who tried to evade Big Brother's benevolent surveillance.

3. Mike Taylor

More likely Agent Smith (possibly also a reference to 1984 though) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Smith

2. JDX Gold badge

Here's a crazy idea...

A KindlePhone... a semi-smart phone which uses an e-ink screen, i.e. an actual Kindle with a phone not Kindle Fire.

I can't decide if this is really stupid, or something that anyone would buy.

1. 404

Re: Here's a crazy idea...

Battery life would be awesome - and for what I use my phone for, black & white would be just fine, even for webpages - also seem to remember color e-ink was coming up.

I like it. +1

3. Irongut

Surely the creepy spying on you phone should be the cheaper version?

I hate to think how much data on user's one handed phone using habits they wil amass.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Anyone find this kinda creepy?

Four Camera to track your movements? Why?

It can only be for it to report to the mothership (Amazon) what you are looking at so that you get new and improved shopping suggestions from Amazon?

What part of No, I do not want this crap do companies like Amazon, Google and the rest understand?

Advertisers and the people who dream up shite like this have leapfrogged above bankers tou just below lawyers who remain at No 1 in my list of professions I hate.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Anyone find this kinda creepy?

I think 'advertising' is less of a profession, and more of an extremely unfortunate social disease.

2. Robert Sneddon

Four cameras would handle 3-D gesture recognition quite well (insert obligatory reference to _bad SF movie_ here). They might not be visible-light but IR like the Kinect uses.

3. qwarty

Steve, why do you feel that a 4 lens camera is in some way creepy compared with a one lens device? Where does that leave the eye of a dragonfly with its tens of thousands of lenses?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given their bloody awful tablets I'd hate to use one of their phones.

My father bought a Kindle fire and it has a diabolical interface that makes iOS seem like a state of the art interface.

1. mickey mouse the fith

"Given their bloody awful tablets I'd hate to use one of their phones."

After I rooted, disabled all the Amazon snooping, advertising, autoupdating and useless background services nonsense, my Kindle fire hd is actually a joy to use for the price i paid. Great batterylife,good screen and very good sound, in fact the dolby sound the thing outputs through its speakers is far and away the best iv heard coming from any tablet.

The interface is a bit clunky, but you can install other launchers with a bit of fiddling or just flash cyanogen via a second bootloader and have done with it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

What interface? It's got a home screen where you swipe to scroll through icons, a favorites screen, and a back button and menu button anywhere you go. And you can swipe down to pull down notifications and settings from any screen. That's five simple things to deal with - all with one finger - Are you some kind of freaking idiot that can't figure that out?

I'll say it again Reg - you are getting no value whatsoever from these useless AC posts. This moron obviously hasn't ever seen a Kindle Fire, or even a picture of one. Probably a paid shill from MS coming on here to troll Android and iOS simultaneously.

1. Sheep!
        Thumb Down

No AC here and I'm happy to trash the thing as an owner.

I have a Kindle Fire, my 80 year old Mother bought one thinking it would be easy to use, so I bought her a Kindle Paperwhite (which is actually what she wanted) and took the KF on thinking it would be a good tablet if made by Amazon.

They are supposed to be sold at cost or close to it???? Video playback is fair but nothing to get excited about. They have no GPS, no Bluetooth (which is absolutely criminal), they are locked to Amazon's ecosystem so you can't use apps you've already bought in Play and have to buy them all over again if you want to use them on the Fire, and it has a paltry 6Gb of non-expandable storage (because it wants you to use their cloud services). I rooted it and managed to crowbar Play on it, but it's barely compatible with any of the apps because Amazon have forked the OS so much it's not recognisable to many apps as a "version" they are compatible with.

I could have bought a generic tablet with GPS, Bluetooth and a host of other goodies on it for a lot less and had an up to date version of android. If they are truly selling the Fire at cost or close to it then somone in their supply chain is ripping them a new one for some part or another.

1. mickey mouse the fith

" I rooted it and managed to crowbar Play on it, but it's barely compatible with any of the apps because Amazon have forked the OS so much it's not recognisable to many apps as a "version" they are compatible with."

My kindle fire hd has no problems with the play store. True, it did need `crowbarring` onto it, but its worked perfectly ever since. Only app iv come across that dosnt work is the old google talk apk sideloaded, hangouts does though.

I could just flash cm onto it, but its fine as it is for my usage, no problems whatsoever.

Only thing lacking is gps, which is strange considering the soc supports gps, maybe it can be enabled with a patch or a bit of soldering. Bluetooth gps works fine for the very rare occasion when i need it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing that 4 little pieces of electrical tape can't sort out.

7. Chris G

Spendtopia

As citizens of our wonderful free consumerist society we should welcome the data gathering that the kindly folk at companies like Amazon, Google and Farcebook do, it helps us to make wise decisions on our purchases to improve the quality of our consumerist lives.

In addition, through the considerate back doors in their data stores these companies thoughtfully provide for our governments, we can be assured that odd behaviour or purchasing practices from certain aberrant individuals will be caught early enabling the authorities to remove these individuals and maintain a safe cleansed environment for us all.

8. Old Handle

So wait...

You have to pay more to be spied on by Agent Smith?

9. btrower

Creepy is the operative word

This stuff is inevitable and that makes it even more creepy. We cannot stop it. We have to find some way to keep abuse to a minimum. Having the NSA peeking in on everything may not be the way to go here.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F off please

"EYE-OF-SAURON" Really? Are you serious? I thought the Reg had standards for such things, as in the 20 Sep 2007 headline "Eye-O-Sauron™ spy towers still buggy". Or was "O" rather than "of" something that only applied in 2007, or perhaps only to US border spy towers? Mmmm?

Please get a stylistic grip people! It's far too long till beer o'clock tomorrow, and I get edgy when you cause ripples in The Natural Order Of Things this far into the week, and you wouldn't want us all getting edgy, would you...

That settled; are Amazon in competition with Zuck and the NSA for some covert creepy award?

11. Heathroi

Its all very well offering me ads for stuff i might want to buy but unfortunately for the advertisers i've already bought the thing

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smith?

"I knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith."

"eh? And what was his other leg called?"

13. Mark .

Never mind Amazon, I want a Tesco phone, if the Hudl is anything to go by - reasonable specs, low price, close to vanilla Android, and (unlike the Nexus) a microSD slot. With their brand recognition and media coverage they'll get in the UK, a lot of stores to sell it in, and they have their own mobile network (albeit using another carrier), it could do quite well in the UK...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like