back to article Chromecast creeps further into living room with Hulu hookup

Sales of Google's $35 Chromecast dongle have been going well and should receive a further boost from a new partnership that lets iPad and Android users use the device to stream Hulu Plus video content. "Now you can easily enjoy your favorite shows, such as Modern Family, New Girl and Parks and Recreation, on your big-screen TV …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google could be getting a position that will worry Cupertino and others."

Huh? Because they get support from players like Hulu and Netflix? You mean the same providers that already let you view their stuff on the web? And via apps? And via smart TVs? And via set tops?

The breakthrough will come when someone becomes the first to make a deal with a major network and lets you live stream say ESPN and ESPN2, or stream AMC or stream HBO. Not programs on those channels, but the live network feed. Then you'll have something major and noteworthy and it really will worry the other players that they don't have such a deal. Otherwise it is all just method number 234 to view pretty much the same content everyone has access to in innumerable ways.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Google could be getting a position that will worry Cupertino and others."

A Live Stream of recorded TV programs?

The 20th Century called, and wants it's broadcast model back!

A live stream of a live event on ESPN might appeal to some people, but it's not at all clear why many of those who care about such things would find an internet streaming solution more useful to them than what they have now - you can be sure than any online ESPN package won't be any cheaper than just getting ESPN with your cable package (because there it's being subsidized by the customers who don't want to pay extra for sport, but don't have the choice).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Google could be getting a position that will worry Cupertino and others."

You'd want to watch (or record) AMC live if that was the only way you could get immediate access to its programming. You might be able to buy a season of a series later, or perhaps watch it for free after a few days or a week, but that's what everyone else does. If there was one solution that let you watch the Mad Men finale at the same time as those who had cable subscriptions, even when you didn't, THAT would worry the competition.

As for ESPN, who said anything about it being cheaper than cable? People might subscribe to it because they could get it without paying for a bunch of crap channels they don't care about. Just like those who like AMC's programming might pay for it separately but don't want to be forced to pay $$$ for ESPN if they don't watch sports. If the cable providers won't let you go a la carte, maybe someday the channels will be willing to sell directly to you via the internet.

If some channels made deals with only Google or only Apple, it would be a major advantage. Adding yet another way to watch Hulu is no more of a big deal for Chromecast than it was for Apple TV, because it is already available everywhere. That was my point.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hulu Plus supported devices ..

Android 4.x; select 3.x and 2.x devices ..

http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices

3. Jim Lewis

I have the Chromecast and it just works, in a way that so much other stuff just doesn't. I realise readers of El Reg are so tech savvy that wrestling arcane scripts to make tech do what it's supposed to is part of the enjoyment for them, but for the masses this device offers additional functionality at a trivial cost and with ease.

I think Google have stolen a march on their competitors once again, and each additional service offering will merely further bolster this position.

1. Hellcat

That's all well and good... but when do we get them in Blighty?!

1. Stewart Atkins

Not soon I'd imagine, it's been several months since the US release, and they only just got a second US provider onboard. I'd love one of these, I'd be using one right now if I could get one. TBH I'm not sure why it didn't also launch over here since we also have Netflix and I doubt it'd take much to get the BBC on board as well but hey

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree that when it works, it's a fun way to access YouTube. But I recently helped a friend set one up. He has an iPad, I have an Nexus 7. The Wifi setup didn't "take" the first time, we had to unplug it and try again (which felt much riskier than it probably was, because there was no indication that such a step might ever be necessary, and no way to know that it wouldn't just brick the device).

Having 2 devices control a single Chromecast is supposed to be a feature of the device, but there were inconsistencies - at one point my Nexus 7 started to play a clip that my friend had sent to the Chromecast.

My better half still has a Gingerbread device, and even though the Cast button shows up in it's YouTube client, it doesn't seem to work properly.

For $35, these are acceptable quirks, and a few pages of documentation, or even a 3 minute YouTube clip might help, if the problems are caused by user confusion. I'll be buying a few more for Christmas presents, but for now, it's more about the novelty than the functionality.

4. Tom 38

So far Hulu Plus is only available to iPad users…

…in North America, FTFY

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like