back to article FTC chilled about Google's buyout of map app Waze - report

The US Federal Trade Commission has reportedly given the go-ahead for Google's purchase of mapping app Waze, deciding that the acquisition won't hurt competition. People familiar with the matter told Bloomberg that Google "won’t be challenged" by the commission over the deal, which will give Google yet more tech to use in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chairo
    Unhappy

Google's business model

First they slurp Waze, then they slurp the data of Waze's users. As a (infrequent) Waze user I don't like the deal at all.

On the other hand I don't see how the FTC could stop them. There are still several players in mobile navigation, so there is no imminent danger that Google could become monopolist at this moment.

What will happen is that many users will abandon Waze for other less Googly navigation software. I suppose Google took that into account when they decided to take over. Otherwise they might be in for a bad surprise. That's market at work, isn't it?

2. Ralph B

FTC still trading?

How come the FTC hasn't been shut down with the rest of the US Guvmint? Hang on, it has!

So, did this really happen today? Or is this another example of The Reg's new habit of reporting stuff a couple of days late?

1. Ralph B

Re: FTC still trading?

Yup. The original story is from October 1st.

What's up, Reg?

1. Jim 59

Re: FTC still trading?

Bummer. I was just about to become a Waze user, but not now. Google's goal will be to suck Waze users into the data mine, where they can be merged and re-identified as users of Youtube, Blogger and Google's hundreds of other properties. Distancing yourself from Google becomes more difficult every day.

So Google gouges more people more of the time. I wonder if they will direct your route to take you past certain billboards or shops they have a deal with/own

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like